This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Governor's Island Roaring '20s Dance and Hot Jazz Picnic - 3

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Governor's Island Roaring '20s Dance and Hot Jazz Picnic - 3

Comments on "Governor's Island Roaring '20s Dance and Hot Jazz Picnic - 3"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 AM) : 

Gentlemen, would you please have a look at the perfect, perfect shape of his trousers and quit once and for all skinny jeans that unnecessarily stress the well-known fact that men's legs, in relation to their upper parts, already tend to look short?!

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (9:00 AM) : 

wonderful shot - the house period looks perfect too!
step back in time!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Love the photos. But am I the only one who thinks that the men look great in all of them, but the women (with the exception of the one with the red parasol) somewhat frumpy?
Take off the hats and the guys could walk down fifth ave. and blend in with the crowd. The women on the other hand would look like extras fleeing the set of "Mame". It's so unfair!

 

Blogger Zach said ... (9:18 AM) : 

I would love to be there for the moment when somebody's blackberry rings or they all wip cell phones and ipods out of their vintage clothes. I mean this sincerely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

He needs to take his hand out of his pocket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

All the photos are great! But Scott, don't we get to see what you wore to the party?? Inquiring minds and all.. I can't imagine you wouldn't have dressed for the occasion ;)

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Absolutely fabulous.

Re: Anon 9:09 ...I know what you mean, although this also makes them look authentic. Something to do with the 'gender erasure' of the 20s in women's fashion... The straight lines and loose clothes were very liberating, but could really "frumpify".

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (10:28 AM) : 

I think this woman is fabulous! Her shoes, parasol and vibrant color scheme are divine. The ladies' outfits are not frumpy; they're 20's. Cinched waists weren't the style. I wish more of the pictures were of the ladies standing, so we could get the full effect. The men may have won this day, but I’ve been following this particular woman’s style for a while and so has the Sartorialist. See Easter Parade ’07 (she’s the stunning woman in pants) and Easter Parade ‘06.

I’m so glad her photos keep popping up here. She’s got it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

The colors here are fresh and wonderful, though the style is purely archival. The pants on the man are absurdly high, baggy, and the tie is too short. The overall effect is half-way from cartoon to reality. It's also true the lady's cut is Auntie Mame: it compels one to think of grandmothers with flabby upper arms.

Thank goodness the fashions of the West became more tailored and form-fitting over time. The lady's hat, parasol, and shoes are very nice. Perhaps with new TB outbreaks, gloves will make a comeback.

None of this has anything to do with how wonderfully evocative this couple is. They have knocked the Gatsby look out of the park and made the 1920's look as fresh as a white carnation.

 

Blogger Meredith said ... (11:10 AM) : 

verdiales -- With all due respect, when pants are worn high, at the true waist, the tie must be shorter than today's hangdog-at-the-belt-buckle look. That's just the way it was worn, because that is how it looked best. It isn't "too" anything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

That photo is heaven-sent.

 

Blogger JO said ... (11:43 AM) : 

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOT! WOW! You are AMAZING! Like a step back in time!
Love it!

 

Blogger Butch said ... (3:04 PM) : 

When I see shots like this, no matter how accurate the dress to period, I always feel that something looks "wrong."

Then I realize that what I'm seeing is in COLOR, not black and white. The twenties, I remind myself, took place in color! Then I make the adjustment, and enjoy the quite wonderful evocation of styles past....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

What a wonderful shot, absolutely marvellous. Reminds me of Hopper somehow. Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

meredith

Of course you're right about practical matters, but my point is that for today those proportions on a man are nearly cartoonish. Wonderful, creative, evocative? Yes. Are many people going to be willing to wear things that way next year? No, and I confess I don't blame them.

There are plenty of things here to learn from and emulate, but the cut of the man's clothes is, in my opinion, not one of them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 PM) : 

yellow pants!!! they're huge but somehow the color isn't overwhelming. i want to go buy some (modern cut) canary yellow wide leg trousers now.

 

Blogger Meredith said ... (5:11 PM) : 

verdiales, I suppose we'll continue to disagree, as I think this is the way men ought to dress all the time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

I know that woman personally and I give her a lot of credit. She free sews and it comes out amazing. This criticizing is ridiculous. Let's see you pull those outfits off. Kudos to the gentleman and his gal. You guys looked amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

My husband is the one featured in ankle boots (recent Stacie Adams, yes). To us these are not costumes, but simply our clothing. I've been wearing vintage since 1982 and enjoy living in these beautiful garments for their uniqueness, excellent tailoring for my frame, and fine construction (I am 4'11" and petite).

BTW: I appreciate the current craze for little puff sleeves that evoke my favorite period (late 30s) but am sad to see so much of what's in the stores badly constructed and filled with non-breating spandex.

To the person who commented that this is nothing more than can be seen nightly with swing dancers: you're behind the times...the swing revival some years ago had a very costumy vintage start, yes. Now virtually nobody in our scene (except me and my husband and literally a handful of others) makes a consistent showing in full vintage for various understandable reasons. And, again, for us..it's just what we wear...poke your head into the weekly swing venues, and you'll see modern jeans, t-shirts, chromed tennis shoes...and then US. No judgements. I'm just saying that this occasion was a VERY special annual treat for the swing crowd in that sense too. Thank you, Sartorialist, for joining us!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 PM) : 

I never comment but I have to say these trousers are IT! I have developed an affinity for this butter yellow color over the last few months, making it 'my' color for spring/summer 2007...but never mind the color with the way these pants just fall so beautifully on this gentleman's lower half.

and Sartorialist - I have thoroughly enjoyed all the Roaring 20's photographs, it being one of my favorite fashion eras.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

I guess it must be NYC when one needs
two Kryptonite bike locks...

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (8:38 PM) : 

OMG, that is totally sweet. It looks like a movie still from the 1920s. I love the baggy pants, the hats, the beautiful dress and umbrella. Everything about it is gorgeous including the setting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

I wish today's fashions had the style and grace that vintage garments seem to retain throughout the years.

I wish people today made an effort and took pride in their appearance.

*sigh

 

Blogger Tri said ... (9:44 PM) : 

i like how the tip of his collar is rounded.

 

Blogger Sherry said ... (9:47 PM) : 

Oh, this shot is so so beautiful!

 

Blogger Bel said ... (10:49 PM) : 

Picture perfect - wonderful!

 

Blogger Annmarie said ... (11:50 PM) : 

holy crap I am in love.

 

Blogger LadyPB said ... (7:05 PM) : 

We (tourists from Canada and Germany) happened onto this event accidentally - it was just amazing. I think I've got a photo of the photo being taken somewhere on a memory stick.

It was a great opportunity to see such beautiful clothing, and meet some marvellously charming people.

 

Blogger Jason Newkirk said ... (11:30 PM) : 

this blog is so crazy cool..great post...

 

Blogger To The Max said ... (5:20 AM) : 

I'm a recent reader and really admire your photographic eye. It's not necessarily what they wore in the 20's but how they wore it - with grace and style. This photo sums the decade up perfectly!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 AM) : 

I just love this shot so much, as I do the others of the '20s Dance & Picnic, that I keep coming back to them. I've always loved and appreciated '20s fashion and style, and when I look at these photos, I feel myself slipping into a daydream that I lived, and wore similar clothing, back in the '20s. Thank you for a slip from modern reality!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

Wonderful!
Reminds me excessively of what JM Barrie's 'Barbara's Wedding'(Echoes Of War!) scene would be like!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting