This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....The Spandau Ballet Romantic, Hamburg

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

On the Street.....The Spandau Ballet Romantic, Hamburg

This falls under the category - I wouldn't do it but it works very well for him.


I do think the importance of his hair to complete this look cannot be overstated.

Comments on "On the Street.....The Spandau Ballet Romantic, Hamburg"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 AM) : 

his hair is done to perfection, agreeed.

 

Blogger Eric said ... (4:10 AM) : 

I think I am, perhaps, in love.

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (6:35 AM) : 

Yes yes, his hairstyle is really beautiful! He look really good, although I'm not crazy about the loose fit of his suit.

 

Blogger ojhofer said ... (6:41 AM) : 

Very long and lean silhouette, very rich, luxe color, very styled hair…this is a welcome and pleasant déjà vu. Round and round it goes…

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 AM) : 

absolutely gorgeous...his eyes also make the look- dark, soulful and a bit sad.

 

Blogger Gudl said ... (7:16 AM) : 

He looks great!

 

Blogger SartoriallyAddicted said ... (7:33 AM) : 

It's interesting how you can see the colors and styles shift from varied to monotone as you scroll up this month's blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 AM) : 

Hi Scott,

I just love the photos from your German trip.
They have that August Sander touch - brilliant !

 

Blogger Butch said ... (8:03 AM) : 

It's hard to see beyond the fit of the suit, which is, shall we say, poor. Though the color makes a nice point.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 AM) : 

great look! but: "spandau ballet romantic" spandau is a district of berlin and not hamburg!

 

Blogger Mrs Fashion said ... (8:29 AM) : 

All the boys I crushed on in school had hair like this, but they weren't half as cute or as stylish* as this guy.

*This was possibly due to the hideous school uniform we had to endure, but they could have made an effort!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:32 AM) : 

His hair is definitely part of the look and I respect that effort and commitment to one's style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

I am

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

gorgeous!! beautiful color. the hue resonates.

 

Blogger senegal dandy said ... (10:00 AM) : 

TRUE!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

funny you should say spandau ballet - I heard song from that band a couple days ago and wondered when we might see that look again.....it seems fresh now.

 

Blogger will anderson said ... (10:23 AM) : 

yeah, this guy has a lot to work with. the slim physique, the hair and eyebrows...i dont think i could ever pull that look off. but he did. good for him.

i'm sure you were making a reference to the band...not the district. nice job. i always like your little headings...clever, but not too much so.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I love the timelessness of these pics; how they could be from post WWII until the timeless NOW. What a great look, and it looks unstudied and real to him, without artifice. Another super-duper one, sart! xoxo, Lady

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I believe Sart means Spandau Ballet the BAND, not the area. And, I am totally with you on this. Gary Kemp/the lead singer Tony was what I first thought too. Though I guess this shows our age...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Paint me down, but this guy looks absolutely incredible. What soul. I don't even notice his clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

this is the sound of my soul.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

I like the colour of his suit, but the cut is not quite right considering his hairstyle would look best with a retro tightly fitted suit with shorter trousers. I also question his choice of shoe colour, but I think the look works well.

 

Blogger Just an Observation said ... (12:05 PM) : 

And You've NAAIILED IT again Sar.....couldn't agree more....who dresses like this anymore ....and the ones that can pull it off
(like this one) know how to.

thx sar!

 

Blogger Just an Observation said ... (12:07 PM) : 

I know ....his much.....is Truuuue!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Love the color. Wish I was brave enough to wear a cranberry blazer. Seemed to be more popular decades ago. Bring it back, I say.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

the man with the suit and the pace...

i am LOVING the look (hope it catches on) and everyone's apropos use of gary kemp's lyrics...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

swoon.

total perfection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

The first word I thought of was "dandy". For me dandy is a good word, he looks great. Very stylish, everything comes together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

such beautiful hair, and great face. and of course the suit isn't half-ass

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Both,sleek and romantic,and the slightly misfitting fits him. Great portrait of somebody who knows to talk by clothes.

 

Blogger Bonita said ... (3:29 PM) : 

For some reason he reminds me of Morrissey from the Smiths.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Wow. Hurray for Hamburg! Bravo to him!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

This takes me back to my college days and the boys in the English and art department that I crushed on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 PM) : 

something very charming in his eyes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

He's very handsome, but his suit color bothers me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Just so long as the goofy dance doesn't also make a comeback...

-- desertwind

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (4:38 PM) : 

i agree, with Butch.
the fit is sloppy.
handsome devil though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

love how the color of the suit continues on the shoes!

plus that HAIR, i wish i could get my hair to do that! reminds me of the spring ysl hairstyles (for women)... so retro and yet totally modern.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

handsome devil, indeed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 PM) : 

Beautiful. The whole package. I'm definitely in love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 PM) : 

Spandau Ballet indeed. I wish I could track him down and, well...never mind.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 PM) : 

His hair is amazing and so is the suit color. Your pics of Germany are turning out to be some of my all time favorite.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 PM) : 

Oh my goodness, it's me in 1980! If only I could fit in those suits now... :)

 

Blogger Ming the Merciless said ... (9:37 PM) : 

Sart, you're dating yourself. Only people in the late 30s know how Spandau Ballet looks like. :-)

That said, he does look very much like one of the Spandau Ballet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

He reminds of me a much better looking version of the main character in the Science of Sleep. Only because of the suit. =)

 

Blogger B.Chau said ... (10:30 PM) : 

He pulls off this color quite well. A revival of new romanticism.

the real fact of the matter is that i really really want his haircut. in fact, i'm probably going to take this very photo to the hairstylist as a reference when my hair has grown out long enough to have it.

like always, mr. sartorialist, thank you for finding the people you do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 PM) : 

"I bought a ticket to the world
But now I've come back again"

I can imagine him in a darkly wooded bar sipping Jägermeister and Red Bull from a crystal goblet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

I love the suit. In his case I disagree that it is ill-fitting...it has a relaxed vibe that works well with his physique. The only thing that prevents this from being perfect is the length of his trousers which I wish were at a no-break point.

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (4:49 PM) : 

why aren't there any men like that in amsterdam?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Nothing wrong with the suit at all, just a bit unusual color though fits him well.

The fellow, with his Byronesque looks is a bit feminine looking and could use a prop to revitalize his appearance.

Perhaps a cigarette would help or perhaps a bit less attention to each carefully placed curl.

Otherwise, well done.

 

Blogger savvylondon, jr. said ... (7:01 PM) : 

the hair leaves us speechless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

very cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 AM) : 

i would agree with everything except for the hair comment. i think this suit works great in size, color, and fit. regardless of his haircut.

what impresses me most about the look is the compatability of the shoes. they are perfect. black shoes would be wrong. white, too flashy. light brown, too whacky.

but these the burgondy ones are perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 AM) : 

I adore him and his fringe.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting