This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street..... Proper English Gent? Ostermalm, Stockholm

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 10, 2007

On the Street..... Proper English Gent? Ostermalm, Stockholm


Most young men in the US are heavily influenced by Italian style (like me). We buy a lot of Armani, Borrelli - whatever the label as long as it is (or sounds) Italian.


In Stockholm I was pleasantly surprised to see how influenced the young men are by Savile Row.

I mean look at this gentleman, London personified - even his posture says "stiff upper-lip"

Comments on "On the Street..... Proper English Gent? Ostermalm, Stockholm"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 AM) : 

this gentleman looks like a really english aristo of the 30's. so elegant.

 

Blogger will anderson said ... (8:14 AM) : 

that's very impressive, wow. its not me, but you have to admire it. thanks for showing a young man who isn't clinging to the vestiges of youth with a hoodie and a messenger bag.

 

Blogger in defense of retail therapy said ... (8:15 AM) : 

superb.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:20 AM) : 

I believe his expression is one of pride that you have appreciated his style!! Very polished and put-together indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Hey Sart,

Your compositional style is blooming. I like this image particularly because of its casually restrained equilibrium.

The pose may be a bit much, but it goes nicely by the sharp division in the slightly out of focus background.

Keep it up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

Italian tailoring has taken much of its inspiration from its English counterpart since the 1930's (and perhaps, before that).

The chap in the picture displays a superbly disciplined aesthetic; someone who cares about, and takes pride over wearing a suit. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

I totally disagree that most US men are inspired by the italian...
maybe your informed/fashionista group of friends.
Did you ever tried to find a decent priced spread collar, fitted shirt in New York?
Most US formalwear is still inspired by Brooks Brothers...those terrible button collars, shirts puffing and balloning on the side...absolutelly ridiculous> btw the guys looks neat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 AM) : 

It is so refreshing to see a young man so well dressed. That is what I call bring sexy back to youth.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

Very Impressive.
Simple, yet he stands out with a pair of trousers and a jacket that fit impeccably, with great little details that make the outfit pop, the small grid on the shirt, the striped tie and the pocket square.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

i like that london style, but...
it only works with lean guys.

if you are a little square, do like italien do!

e.f.g. longueval

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Beautiful fit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

Hmm ... I also somewhat disagree that most American men wear Italian tailoring ... perhaps in N.Y but you go further afield & I doubt thats the case ... As for the Savile Row tailors & your "stiff upper lip" comment - have you been to Saville Row recently? Many younger more cutting edge tailors have set up shop alongside the centuries old tailors & also don't forget that many of the best British designers such as Alexander McQueen started his career on Saville Row ... Though in the U.K the large Italian tailors are favoured also, far more so than in the U.S ...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Awesome. I'm not sure how anyone could look much better than this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

*faint!*
As I'm sure anyone who's viewed this blog over a period of time will agree, it's interesting to wonder what these well dressed individual's do with there time and this one in particular has left me curious...Sart, can you tell us any more?

Thanks for the great pictures!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Gostei muito o look gentleman aristocrata condiz com o porte.
Very British

 

Blogger YFYF.org said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Although this guy does seem Brit-inspired, it's not quite the old-school Brit you might expect.

Granted, the colours are very British but the suit is very much new-guard British tailoring. It looks like an Oswald Boateng because of the cut (very high buttoning point, fairly narrow body) and is anything but old-school. I think I have that shirt too. It looks like it's a TM Lewin which has very nice, high collars but are very big at the armholes and pretty loose in the body.

Not a fan of this particular look, but he carries it off well. I guess you could say it looks ... mod?

 

Blogger hoi polloi said ... (10:46 AM) : 

He looks elegant and handsome. Yes, its refreshing to see a young person looking so polished

 

Blogger Flaneur said ... (10:59 AM) : 

What a refreshing sight. The sneakers look has now become so ubiquitous and conventional that wearing a suit is now non-conformist and provocative.

 

Blogger Amit said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Where do you buy your Zenga ?

 

Blogger Doodles said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Can I marry him?

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Hmmm. Like the jacket's shape, but what's with buttoning the top button only, it appears?

Also, the collar's too big, too high for the ensemble, as well as being (in my opinion) too stiff. When I look at the photo, my eye is immediately drawn to...his collar, which shouldn't be.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Love the pictures you´ve taken in Sth (Stockholm,that is). Makes me proud to be a Swede under the heavy influence of fashion.. and your blog!
I´d love to see that look a bit more here in Sweden,refreshingly classy with a twist.It makes me think british and maybe a bit of Duke of Windsor influence..don´t know.

 

Blogger Lit said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Marvellous! Everything here is absolutely impeccable, I envy the cut of that suit. This guys sort of embodies the perfect way a suit should look. It's quite absurd.

 

Blogger JO said ... (11:56 AM) : 

WOW! Now this chap shows some stand up pride.

 

Blogger siongc said ... (12:04 PM) : 

Living in Vancouver, where the culture is (far too) laid back and seeing youngsters walk around in yoga gear when they are clearly not about to perform any physical activities, it is very refreshing to see a young man take pride in his appearance. He is well put together, and he knows it - very evident with his confident stance.

I am sure you have put a lot of thought into the composition of the photograph, but as a thought, perhaps if you photographed him against the white building, as opposed to both the white and brown buildings, the subject would stand out more? Especially with his red tie and white pocket square. I personally feel the brown building (the colour and not so much the building itself) is throwing the balance off somewhat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

Fantastic photo! For the subject's youth, his poise, his posture. If only American men understood that dressing well can begin at any age and didn't fall under the spell of thinking they must slouch through life in jeans, t-shirt and athletic footwear.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (1:08 PM) : 

Impeccable.

 

Blogger RECIEN LLEGADA said ... (1:48 PM) : 

great attitude¡

 

Blogger v said ... (1:58 PM) : 

wow, it looks like one of the british princes. seriously.

makes me prud when you say nice things about my fellow swedes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

i don't know. he looks dangerous.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (3:02 PM) : 

WOW.
perhaps we need more Savile Row-inspired men here in the U.S.? lol.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 PM) : 

hi. when do you come to copenhagen? ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 PM) : 

I like the way he looks so proud. Clothes make this man.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Very elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 PM) : 

I like the look, but it's a pity that he doesn't have a repp tie with stripes going left-to-right like a traditional British tie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:45 PM) : 

if not for the color film, could be mistaken for young Edward VIII.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 PM) : 

I love it. Everything works. I like the mix of patterns.

 

Blogger amorvincitomnia said ... (7:44 PM) : 

I think I need to move to Sweden...These latest shots are absolutely stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 PM) : 

very nice

 

Blogger Ming the Merciless said ... (10:51 PM) : 

The guy likes really smart in that suit. I love the trim fit and clean lines. It helps that he has less than 2% fat on him.

You hit it right on the nail about Italian suits vs. English suits.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

He looks great. I particularly love the cut of the jacket.

At this point, though, it's very hard for me personally to categorize details of a suit like this as Italian or English or even American for that matter. It's like a mix of lots of different elements, some classic, some modern.

The world of tailoring has grown so small IMO.

 

Blogger Priyanka Sarkar said ... (12:26 AM) : 

gorgeous!!:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 AM) : 

GORGEOUS... sigh*!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

Marvellous! He looks like an officer in the Guards (smartest regiments in the British army). I don't agree at all that it's not old-school - my English father's dressed in suits of this cut forever. His posture/expression are bordering on the arrogant, but we can can excuuse it in one so young. I take my hat off to you, young sir!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 AM) : 

I guess I will break the chain. Yes, he is impeccably dressed. But what I would take away is a sense that he is impeccably dressed and unapproachable. In my mind when you meet a well dressed man or woman you should remember the person and not the clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 AM) : 

Maybe it's pathological, but to me, this is pure sex. Wow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 AM) : 

to aristocrat for my liking. But I guess that people like different things. And If you like this style, I guess you are impressed. Your clothes shows your personality. What does he want to show?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 AM) : 

He reminds me of an off duty guardsman - a sort of cruel toff look , I think - he doubtless refers to his tailor as his "man". He looks good though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

very baked beans, crumpets, tea, egg on toast

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

He’s dressed impeccably but his face is very arrogant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

This guy looks like the dreg who goes to Handels, starts working at Carnegie and thinks he and his friends are the "Lords of the Universe". Then again, he could just be someone who thinks dressing up is fun and sets him apart from the rest of the faceless middle-aged swedish men in their chinos and sports jackets at his company.
All in all, great look and if I worked in an environment who would be demanding/requiring a suit, this would definitely be my look of choice.

/Lindus

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (6:45 PM) : 

When I was younger, I loved men who dressed like him. He represents the young, successful banker guy. Obviously my perception of men has changed but this photo brings back a lot of fond memories of why I love men who dresses well. Bravo! He is gorgeous.

 

Blogger The Enforcer said ... (12:57 AM) : 

Stiff upper lip or not, I can't help wondering what kissing those lips would be like. YEOW!
(bad hair, though~)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Nice suit. However, the tie-knot isn't what I would classify as "proper English".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

I love the look! =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 AM) : 

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd recognise someone on your blogg! It's a true delight. This proper english gent went to my school and I used to see him at a few social accations. I can tell you that he lives up to his image, at 18 he was allready drinking whiskey and smoking cigars! Even if he is not my kind of style I can truly appriciate his dedication, he does it oh so well!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

..and yes Lindus, this guy went to Handels(Stockholm School of Economics)with me. He has also the Finance district of Stockholm in the background. It would have been refreshing if the attire was only for the sake of fashion and not for showing that he actually works with money. Very common to try to hard with the 'banker'look among the kids in our school - can get boring and simply too stiff in the long run..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

It is certainly a nice attitude, especially the Prince Charles-way-of-joining-hand-behind-the-back and it is really pleasant to see a young fellow that visibly enjoy to wear a classic suit, and not one of those destructured things that seems to come out of a dog's mouth, as we say in french0

That being said, for me there is nothing in that way of dressing that deserves any special compliment. The tie is really dull and badly tied up and the shirt rather common. The suit itself is better, but for my taste buttoned too high. The overall impression is not that of very good quality, I'm sorry to say.With a little of patience and sense of observation, this young chap can become the elegant gentleman that he already wishes to be.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

this guy dresses great.
the hipsters etc i see in manhattan look like shiit. would that anyone downtown dressed like savile row or milan.
this guy looks awesome I see some sharp suits uptown nyc but downtown all i see is hoodie & skateboard [BK] shiit it makes me puke

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

great look but i hope he doesn't take himself too seriously..

anon @ 12.41 wrote: "If only American men understood that dressing well can begin at any age and didn't fall under the spell of thinking they must slouch through life in jeans, t-shirt and athletic footwear."

I certainly agree, but you have to remember that these clothes are very expensive, myself (and other guys I know) would love to dress like this, but when you're young and studying it's simply not that easy.. comments?

 

Blogger oskar said ... (5:17 AM) : 

TO: Maria of Gothenburg sa...

I went to SSE (Stockholm School of Economics) as well (10 years ago) and work on Stureplan (the Sthlm financial district) and therefore know this type of person a little too well to appreciate the style - it's quite predictable and not that uncommon, though he does carry it off rather well, I have to agree. As I see it, it's more posing for a role than a fashion statement (ie he couldn't dress any other way).

When you mentioned the whiskey and cigars it definately made me crack up. I'm sure he was part of a men's society where they held black-tie parties already back in high school. Hilarious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

he looks so..royal. great!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting