This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Walter Van Beirendonck, Antwerp

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Walter Van Beirendonck, Antwerp

Yes, he is as intimidating in person as he looks in this photo but I watched him with his students at the art/fashion school that he teaches at and they really seem to love him.

Comments on "Walter Van Beirendonck, Antwerp"

 

Blogger Butch said ... (8:19 AM) : 

These two shots are very much about shoes, aren't they? One of the great advantages of wearing sneaks--and I do--is that they offer men the opportunity to do vibrant color "safely." And to mix-match color with color, as in the teach's shoes and scarf.

PS, can't wait for the headgear in the bottom pic to become standard street wear....

 

Blogger Bobby Breidholt said ... (8:25 AM) : 

That art teacher looks remarkably like an intimidating (and beloved) teacher in the Icelandic academy of the arts. Here's a photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

Scott, did you take any close-ups of the art teacher's rings? I'd love to get a better look; it's hard to see the details in the long shot.

www.thefashioninformer.com

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (9:27 AM) : 

I feel sad that I don't get to see the final result of what's happening here.

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (12:26 PM) : 

I LOOOOVE Walter van Bierendonk! His line is among the most unique and creative anywhere, and he looks just like the little penis-man on his clothing! Ha! (In my house, we call his logo thus; it's a cartoon of a nude, bald, bearded man).

I have a sweater from two seasons ago; it looks like an old-school ski sweater until you look closely and see the airplanes dropping bombs... his work is very political. He did an amazing satin bomber jacket covered with hand-embroidered corporate logos, each one loving crossed out with a red line. Somehow, he makes it work as fashion as well. Big props for Walt.

 

Blogger Regina said ... (2:42 PM) : 

His work is amazing, I would love to be one of his pupils, but I also believe I would be as intimidated as hell!!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:54 PM) : 

I'd like a pair of those shoes (bottom photo, left), they look like Marty McFly's self tightening sneaks from back to the future.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Nooo, he's not as intimidating in person as his looks. I saw a Dutch MTV interview with the man and he's quite a softy. He's extremely good at what he does. He has definitely got a great style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

The picture makes me remember this magical day of last december 28 when Dirk and Walter were redoing the windows of the Walter store. They had just received vintage furniture which they were staging. Their complicity and the smile through the big beard made this moment feel very special.
PS: Dirk Van Saene is one of the Big 6 who graduated from the Academy of Antwerp in 1984 with Ann Demeulemester, Dries Van Noten, Martin Margiela, Dirk Bikkenbergs, Walter Van Beirendonck and Marina Yee. He also happens to be Wlater's bo.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (3:49 PM) : 

When does one know when one has crossed the line from eccentricity to caricature?

Interesting look but not an easy one to pull off, in real life or in the movies.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:03 PM) : 

Oooh, I love Dirk Van Saene, though I've had a hard time finding his clothes recently. I have a phenomenal dress by him from about 6-7 years ago. I wash it in old-fashioned soap flakes because I want it to last forever. I bought it at Century, of all places.

I just keep coming back to that bottom picture - the headgear, the socks, the pink Chucks. All so whimsical.

 

Blogger lee said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Walter Van Beirendonck boutique is very conceptual when you walk in as it opens like a garage in Antwerp. Love it! His work is very individual and I appreciate his concept.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 AM) : 

I am Not American But Impress To Your Style.
But I would like to say But Is not Situated in one Place ....Can Find Every where

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting