This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Ed Meier, Munich, Germany

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ed Meier, Munich, Germany

For now on I want all my dry cleaning, shoe repairs etc delivered in a super cool tiny little car like this - I love the typography.
The Ed Meier store in Munich is one of those stores that is sooo old fashion and traditional that it is actually kinda cool. The "cool stores" with ironic tees and skinny jeans are a dime a dozen in most cities but a store like this really stands out. The best elements were the traditional Bavarian clothing and the old-school hiking shoes.

With that said the only thing I saw in the store that I really loved and wanted to buy were these colorful shoe shine brushes.
Am I the only one that has never seen colored shoe shine brushes?
What a great Christmas present or even better- a Graduation gift.

I could just see the Dad telling the son "Son, you are a man now so shine your shoes"

Comments on "Ed Meier, Munich, Germany"

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (5:12 AM) : 

'Seit 1596'
i.e., Established 1596, it says on the truck, and at the bottom, the web address, in their classic font.
And don't miss the website, people, but you'll need to max out your browser window 'cos there are different bits and pieces to slide up and down all over the place... a bit labyrinthine, but definitely an experience, and a sight to behold!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 AM) : 

I love the truck, as well as all of your previous typography posts! You have such a sharp sensibility for interesting found type.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 AM) : 

Thanks for this, it's like we are living vicariously through you. I love the pictures, the clothes/shoes etc. but more importantly their smiles and expressions. To put it simply, you take great pictures!!

 

Blogger ek said ... (9:23 AM) : 

Nice little Vespa 'Ape' delivery scooter (Kastenwagen in Deutsch).

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Those shoe brushes are extremely cute! I'd want one in each colour. This truly shoes, oops I meant to type shows, that store displays COMPLETELY get me in! I can't resist! Great shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I love the truck!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

A wonderful idea to learn how to properly shine your shoes as a passage to manhood - there's a small number of men who know how to properly do it. Both of my brothers who've graduated from high school, still need to learn!

 

Blogger JO said ... (3:26 PM) : 

Great thought! A step toward manhood. it woudl be a nice pre-wedding gift as well.

I love your incredible shots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

great pic Sart .... your eye for such wonderful details always amazes me

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

do tiny people drive the truck? like the tiny man in 'tin drum?'

 

Blogger tanya said ... (8:14 PM) : 

I agree, those would be something nice to receive -- very unique too!

There are many vehicles like those in the Philippines (many because they're cheaper than regular full-sized delivery vans). We always call them toy cars or toy trucks. Hope y'all noticed that it's actually a tricycle. :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

Amazing brushes! Last Christmas, my dad gave me his shoeshine box (with his old brushes inside) as a gift, which his oldest brother gave to my dad as a college graduation gift. It's been in the family for about 35 years.

 

Blogger Katrina Martiani said ... (10:17 PM) : 

my father was a shoe-shine boy during the depression (yes, really) and he always had perfectly shined shoes...he told me once that the reason for having different colored bristles is so that you have a diferent brush for your different colored shoes - you wouldn't want to use the black shoe polish brush on light colored shoes, and so on, as the colorant in the polish transfers. That's not to say that one would have a green pair of shoes (as I think one of those brushes was green) but it's all for color coding purposes - brown for brown shoes, black for black, etc.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

This little car of course is Italian, but it was often used in Germany after the war. Glad you've enjoyed the bavarian clothing - I bought a Stetson in Munich last time! lol

 

Blogger Scott_in_Zurich said ... (7:28 PM) : 

I hope there are still lots of shops in Germany with the wonderful neon typescript signs that look like they are from the 1960s! You'd appreciate them, I think.

 

Blogger sunnyday said ... (11:35 PM) : 

Like you, first time I'm seeing shoeshine brushes with bristles of an array of colors!

And cute truck =) I drop by your blog from time to time; not only do I appreciate fashion, I like your photographs as well.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:55 AM) : 

I think the truck is so humourous in that it looks like one of those little toy models.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting