This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

My Lunch Place Closed!!

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, March 02, 2007

My Lunch Place Closed!!



Remember that great place where I had this salad during the Summer and Fall?

It closed!

I am so disappointed.

I just bet La Walmart is somehow connected with pushing this lunch place out.

I just wish the French were not so progressive and always throwing aside what is old in favor of what is new and shiny.

I cannot wait to get back to New York where we protect our cherished institutions.

For instance, the sun tanning place on my block has been there for over three years!

We New Yorkers know how to treat our small business owners with respect!



(I hope this is read with the intent of which it was written)

Comments on "My Lunch Place Closed!!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 AM) : 

noticing you often go to the Marais,

try the salad at " le petit fer au Cheval" really good already for at least 15 years, their cheesecake it the best of paris actually.

another fab brasserie for wholesome real french brasserie food is on the corner of rue des saints peres and rue Jacob. the place is greatly oldfashioned and fantastic charming service, the guys are very nice and the girl behind the bar with her big glasses is just utterly silently cool and dont forget to get a close look at the "chef" stunning beauty.

When ever i meet you there Scott i will give you more nice adddresses who i still like to keep to myself but please check out this last place and lemme know.

Enjoy !

 

Blogger Butch said ... (8:32 AM) : 

You're being facetious, of course: alas, many a treasured mom-and-pop operation has bitten the dust to make way for the big and branchy in my NY nabe...I DO feel your pain over the loss of the restaurant, though, but they say life is change. Me, I don't believe it for a minute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 AM) : 

Mhm that lunch looks yammi :D haha.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

this salad is very exotic. But I probably would not take a risk and I would not taste it, 'cause I just can't take becon... Sad.

 

Blogger Tiffany said ... (9:02 AM) : 

Ha!Ha!
Three years!
:P

Yes,I definitely read this with the correct intent.

Chicago was pretty good at holding onto some things but as of late
it seems like everything is turning into condos!

:(

 

Blogger LERIELUVLIE said ... (9:13 AM) : 

i know what you mean scott, waking up one morning, to find that my favorite cafe for the perfect petite dejeuner is closing down for a Tesco metro...devastated!!! Besides, that plate looks absolutely scrumptuous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

ohmygod i want that salad. Can you overnight that to NYC, please? I haven't seen anything like that here... I'm salivating!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Such a sad era when one has to point out that one is being sarcastic. What are they teaching kids these days?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Try the Rose Bakery...if you're close to the 9e that is (enthusiasm exceeds knowledge of Paris geography here).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM) : 

This salad looks decadent!! What exactly is that on the crostini?

 

Blogger s.212 said ... (10:53 AM) : 

oooh thats so sad! you should try out Laduree, i think they had good salads the last time i went!

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Anon 10:44: on the bread: cheese: blue, it appears.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (11:59 AM) : 

mVery funny!! An independent cafe recently opened in my office building (at last good coffee, I cannot rave enough about how happy I am) and I am TERRIFIED Starbucks will kill them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

Sorry about your loss. That La Walmart type had to leave this country....no one wanted THAT quality of life here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Try out Laduree, oh puhleasee but Rose bakery for sure is an exellent choice and very stylish.. bit too much, they not only check out the plates but aswell the clientele

The brasserie on the corner rue jacob as mentioned by another anonyme is real good try their baked potatoes yummieee

 

Blogger Easy and Elegant Life said ... (2:17 PM) : 

That is a shame. Not that anything will replace your lost bistrot, but I once had a marvelous meal at Le Reminet (?) on the Rue des Grandes Degres. If it's there and you're in the mood for fish especially, it's tough to beat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

hey Sart! you can do that exact salad yourself! its not big deal! but in other way i totally understand your dissapointment...I can recomend some other nice places but i think its never gonna be the same! and by the way that salad you can find it a lot in NY! even as I told you you can do it yourself! love ya sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 PM) : 

If you're suggesting that New York treats its small businesses poorly, then I hear you, and I agree.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

You really are hilarious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

Anon 3:56 is right on the money. Small businesses are leaving New York because they are overtaxed and overburdened with regulation. People, stop blaming Starbucks and go elect the right people into the city hall. Bureaucrats, inspectors, and tax collectors kill little cafes, not the competition. Competition makes little cafes better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:56 PM) : 

Oh no! What a disaster. It looks really good and tasty. But my personal tip is to go to the nearest libanese cornerand buy yourself something to eat there. One of the most tasting things I've tried.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 AM) : 

Oh I think I know where you lunched last summer !!! Rue Bonaparte ... ! Le Pré aux Clercs !? It's a :delicious "resto" where they are making works ... to make it more & more nice and comfortable !!!
I took the same plate last time I went there !!! every week I pass in front of !I was rue Saint Honoré also friday ... Colette Tuileries ... and of course 7L the Library of Dom Karl Lagerfeld ! 7 rue de Lilles for information.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

Anonymous 3:54 is quite right: you can just make that salad for yourself. I know, because I just did, and it was excellent. Just mixed greens, tomato and cucumber slices, toast rounds with a bit of cheese, and some shreds of salty meaty stuff. Olive oil and balsamic for dressing, not too much, and a few walnuts on top. Not something you need actual cooking skills to make; you just need to get the ingredients and pile them up.

Anna-maria, I think that's prosciutto on the salad; at least that's what I used. It's cured pork, but quite different from bacon: less salty, dried rather than smoked, sort of soft and almost sticky. Good in thin shavings only. I don't know if you avoid bacon for ethical/religious/philosophical reasons, or for health reasons; in the latter case, you could try prosciutto; I don't think it gets sulphited, and one eats so little that the sat fat isn't a concern.

Butch: ooh, maybe you're right. I took it for herbed goat cheese, and substituted pepper-crusted chêvre; blue would be quite different. Also one of the rounds looked to have a bit of crême fraiche or something, under the cheese; I didn't replicate that, but I did butter the crusts.

Geez, I sound like a total foodie, which I'm not usually. But everyone is right: that's a mouth-watering salad. Too bad your source shut its doors, but what the heck: show the photo to a couple of other places, and see if they'll make you one. Maybe they'll name the salad after you on the menu.

Dominic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

Hmmm...that last bit you said about protecting/respecting small business owners is untrue. I think that small business owners are being driven out by their greedy landlords and having stupid chains like 7-11 put there instead.

 

Blogger chalkboards said ... (11:48 AM) : 

I disagree more than ever! New York is destroying it's history and charm every single day. CBGB's is a prime example.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 AM) : 

No no no!
Next time you go to Café Rouge (across the street from Costes K) hotel and have a "Salat Rouge" with fois gras, smoked duck breast, grilled prawns and balsamico reduction.
It's not a suggestion, it's an order :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

yeah, i am sick of these corporate fat cats pushing out anything with style. We need to bring the power back to the people! Or else we will all be eating tgi fridays....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 PM) : 

Starbucks tried to open on Bondi Beach in Sydney. Where there is a great supply of fabulous local cafes who have been there for 10 years +. The Mayor for the suburb publicly announced in the largest newspaper in Australia that he thought their coffee tasted like dish water and wouldn't drink it if it was the last cafe on Earth. There was a massive local outcry from resident as well who have already been inundated with KFC etc on the foreshore. The upshot was Starbucks turned heel and ran! Yay to Local people power!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I beg to disagree, Sart. Even if NY gives a certain status ("historical landmark") to some buildings, there have been MANY "purely New York" institutions, mom-and-pop's, and unique shops which have been clobbered and swallowed alive by these giant multinationals. Let's not forget that one of the biggest fights now in the Upper East is the fact that one huge real estate company (I forget which) is attempting to erect a modern monstrosity in the middle of historic Park Avenue amidst all the beautiful brownstones-- thus potentially destroying the character of the neighborhood! I'm all for development, but one can enjoy that without killing tradition and character.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

there is a very similar salad (except for the addition of endives) at "Les Philosophes" in the marais

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting