This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Sartorialist at Night

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Sartorialist at Night



I rarely shoot at night but sometimes the situation and light is just right.

I was walking back from the Dries Van Noten show and saw these two young ladies looking in the windows at Colette.

Actually I had seen them earlier at the Dries show and had wanted to shoot them then but the lighting just wasn't;t right.

I'm glad I got a second chance.

Comments on "The Sartorialist at Night"

 

Blogger New Yorkaise said ... (6:41 PM) : 

It's the beret! Classic Parisian chic. Adore!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

These are two of the coolest photos I've seen! I don't know much about photography so I probably can't speak without sounding ignorant, but they remind me of Doisneau, only in color. The ladies look very French and from another decade. Good job!

 

Blogger Athena said ... (6:57 PM) : 

I like it. Night shots can be interesting. Chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

Hooray for second chances!

The top image lady looks like she belongs behind the glass. The bottom image lady's shoes w/ leg warmers combo (or were they boots) is killing me. Hype squared even though fur's involved :-)

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 PM) : 

I love, love this set. Just by looking at the photos, I'm conjuring an entire classic Parisian setting beyond the boundaries of the pictures. The little cafes, sleeping under the soft blanket of night...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Dear Satorialist,

In reference to the blog about the fashion school in Antwerp, I just thought I would give you this little piece of gossip.... I am a Parsons fashion student and we all just recieved a memo from Tim Gunn.. He will be stepping down from his position from Parsons and will be working as Chief Creative Officer of Liz Clairborne. So, we are currently without a department head.

Oh, drama.

I love these pictures taken at night. I say, more!

See you around fashion week.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

these ladies are beautiful. but i'd take the street scenes of new york -- downtown, midtown, harlem -- any day over the costuming excesses of paris shows.

 

Blogger www.jennyhyun.tv said ... (8:13 PM) : 

I love the girl in the bottom picture! The outfit is so sweet and elegant. Are those leg warmers? Cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

fun fun fun. I especially love the first outfit. Glamorous and flirty and sophisticated all in one. These are gold.

 

Blogger Hebden said ... (8:36 PM) : 

I saw the first outfit and thought it was love...then I saw #2 (her cooler little sister).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

Very nice shots - especially the 1st one. Somewhow her posture, her pose was just right. Hope to see more of what you can do with night shots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

i love the night pics! i do hope you get a chance to take more pictures at night. there's something really wonderful about these pictures. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

such happy happy hats!

great images..merci

'n just by the way..are we not such a bunch of lucky ducks to be able to enjoy the daily gift of a sart pic!

 

Blogger Big Eyes Strange Names said ... (11:47 PM) : 

They are both just lovely - classic and cutting edge all at the same time. And the fur - all the young ladies you photograph over there seem to be wearing it, and wearing it so well!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 PM) : 

#2 is a real beauty. I love tights, and love long subdued legwarmers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 AM) : 

I don't know if I'd throw away all that happens at paris shows but I agree that sartorially the most inspired / inspiring stuff are the street scenes that our fine blog host provides us.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 AM) : 

adore the second, the second is better

moreno

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 AM) : 

Flattering lighting and very chic ladies. I´m impressed by your ability make people relax and be at their best in your photos.

Always inspiring with the positive attitude unlike others who focus on whats wrong!

Thanks for this!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:25 AM) : 

The top photo - wow - she is Parisian glamour. Her hair is fantastic and suits the beret perfectly!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

The beret does it for me. It's so culturally Parisian and yet these women bring a modernity to it, even with the 20s feel of the 1st ladie's bob.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

I love that they're window shopping at night, it's an old-fashioned pastime.

I guess it was more popular when stores were actually CLOSED on Sundays.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

"I don't know if I'd throw away all that happens at paris shows but I agree that sartorially the most inspired / inspiring stuff are the street scenes that our fine blog host provides us"

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a street scene. Yes The Sartorialist mentioned he had spotted them at the Dries MENS show but I guarantee that these girls dress this way whether it's fashion week or no fashion week. Paris is far dressier than N.Y & more inspiring ... I don't want to promote the Sartorialist competition (lol) but you should check out facehunter.blogspot.com .... paris' version of the sartorialist ... there you will see what I mean ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

lovely lovely lovely!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

the first woman is gorgeous

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Wow, you hit the jackpot with these two. Both are enchanting. Someone should write a script for them.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (5:46 PM) : 

They look like Marlene Dietrich. :)

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (6:33 PM) : 

the beret is a classic! I love the top girl's style so much...very 20's...flapper girl style - both are beautiful....

 

Blogger Admin said ... (12:13 PM) : 

i like shooting in ny at night. the lighting is tough but the city is alive and mystical at night

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Berets are a god-send because they are warm, clean-lined, elegant, can be spiffed up with a pin, and--if the size is right--can look good on so many people. The best bit is that they fold up for the pocket. I have other lovely rigid felt hats, and never wear them because they are a bother to keep in hand when one pops into a store.

I second an earlier comment that these street-scene pics are infinitely more interesting--and helpful--than fashion show shots with un-proposable styles for the real world. Great pics, you do get people to relax so nicely, my sincere compliments.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (5:56 PM) : 

VEry stylish ladies - minus the pigeon toes again! - and great photos!

 

Blogger hoi polloi said ... (4:22 PM) : 

somehow this would look trendy and overdone in NY

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 AM) : 

is it so silly to say that i wish i was there....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 PM) : 

More dudes! Man!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting