This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, February 05, 2007

On the Street, Paris

Comments on "On the Street, Paris"

 

Blogger Greentea said ... (6:16 PM) : 

oh gosh this is just darling
that old lady is so adorable and looks so wonderfully put together (ok despite the full-on leopard, she went a bit overboard) she actually pulls off the leopard well, in a way.
plus i just love her expression that she needs to go somewhere and get there fast.

 

Blogger The Prophet said ... (6:42 PM) : 

love her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 PM) : 

Oh dear, how much I loved your blog... could never be said.
I will keep on visiting.
mwa-mwah!

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Wow talk about "head to foot total look". So eccentrique and so audacious! She gets away with it because she's 80 something. Can you just imagine what she was like when she was in her 20s? Meow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 PM) : 

This photo is my very, very favorite of all. You have truly touched me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

She makes me smile and is the type of lady you want to carry bags for while talking to her about "stuff."

mltt

 

Blogger Ms. Champagne said ... (7:29 PM) : 

Oh she's beautiful! The white stockings pull this look together so well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:44 PM) : 

This lovely woman simply screams the word "cute"!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Do not let this woman loose in Kenya. She's liable to get shot.

 

Blogger Luciana Malta said ... (8:04 PM) : 

"Such a presence, such charisma - she is no doubt very stylish".

"Is it style or dignity"? (both of them)

"The way she walks and the way she holds her head".

I make mine your words, scott. and i say: yeah, this is just darling. and fashionist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

she is adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

I don't think she went overboard on the print, at my age yes, at her age no. She is simply eccentric and beautiful and I hope to be as such when I'm her age, God willing.

Kudos!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (8:38 PM) : 

This lady really knows how to turn on men....old men that is, ey? Old men...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 PM) : 

this is one of those times when you see a photo of a stranger and wish very much that you knew them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Over the top and I love it!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 PM) : 

Nice and Very Classic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Oh this is wonderful. Reminds me of my very glamerous grandmother

 

Blogger Butch said ... (10:42 PM) : 

This bespeaks times past when total co-ordination was key.

Without condescension, the look is over-much, of course, yet there's something wonderful about it too, having to do with fashion commitment--the wish to be always well turned out....

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (10:48 PM) : 

Hell, she is a woman of courage with those heels. I am closer to her age than many of you and can surmise the savoir faire, however you spell that, called upon by her to get herself out the door.

May she enjoy all her days.

 

Blogger Lily said ... (10:52 PM) : 

she's absolutely darling...I hope I am half as ballsy when I get older!

 

Blogger DK said ... (11:04 PM) : 

I love this. It reminds me of my grandmama.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 PM) : 

Now this is French panache!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 PM) : 

But what was she wearing underneath her coat?! Tiger stripes, I hope:). Or would zebra be better?

She's adorable, and appears to be tracking her prey with appropriate intensity.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 PM) : 

Reminds me of my sweet great aunt, who always wore scarlet red, red eyeglasses, and a strawberry wig (which was held down on windy days by a red scarf). Oh, and don't forget bright red lips! I love little old ladies!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 PM) : 

Yes, the total look. Please tell me that it is all 'fake' prints, please, I need the reassurance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 PM) : 

The coat, the hat, the bag...makes you wonder what's underneath. Must be just as fantastic!

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (12:05 AM) : 

She rules this look. It might have appeared ridiculous on a younger woman, but it's amazing how she is WEARING the coat and hat with a vengeance and not letting them wear her...also, the "I have to be somewhere five minutes ago" expression just adds to the effect. I love little old lady style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 AM) : 

I totally agree with Anon 8:49.
Great capture that just exudes personality!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 AM) : 

she's so matchy-matchy, and i love it. i hope i am this good when i'm 90.

 

Blogger Karen G. Anderson said ... (1:08 AM) : 

An entire short story in one outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

With the life she's probably lived, she owns that look! I bet she is quite the lady! I'd love to have tea with her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 AM) : 

What reallu makes this outfil for me, are the plastic bags that she carries which is a real clash comparing to the leopard look.

 

Blogger O-Ren said ... (3:36 AM) : 

Oh, so precious :)

What did you think of Thom Browne this season? Rather bizarre...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 AM) : 

remember "TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING IS NEVER ENOUGH".........and she sure rememberd!

it is so wonderful how certain Ladies know how to put it all together and forget about it and just move along.

 

Blogger janet emmanuel said ... (5:42 AM) : 

A Granny
with
Attitude
Style
&
je ne se qua
Fabulous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

I need to move to France and become an old lady.

Weeze

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

I love this little old lady! I think all of us wish we had the guts to do this, AND pull it off with the same sort of nochalance. As if, "Oh this old outfit? I've had it forEVER..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

aww, thats so adorable!

 

Blogger in defense of retail therapy said ... (11:26 AM) : 

only on the continent. love it. absolutely love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

oh my goodness! how cute is she?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Little old lady style rocks. I like the matchiness of it all. It's like an early 1960s throwback.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 PM) : 

"chic" ! A fashionitas from the sixth arrondissement. "chouquette" could be her affectuous name as regard her freeminded attitude that is to wear her favorite era's outfits. Still can't imagine to dress-up to go shopping ... to the bio-market bd Raspail on sunday morning. As we all know - 7:30 to 9:00 pm GEP. xovx.

 

Blogger mareGa said ... (5:15 PM) : 

How cute is that!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

Oh, the stories she could tell!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

i wish she was my grandmother.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

My Fashion hero!

I love the leopard coat, I used to wear one in highschool, back when I could get away with it. :)
I still keep it in my closet and visit it once in a while.

Now, I know I can wear it again, I only have to wait about 40 years!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:43 PM) : 

I just know it will be me in 50 years or so... it just gives me a better perspective to getting older!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

I was absolutely delighted to see this extraordinary woman and then equally so with the postings. Isn't it wonderful Scott? Well done!
Also, I do love the comment about visiting the coat.

 

Blogger Cook said ... (11:19 PM) : 

i love this. the hat is absolutely phenomenal - and i didn't realize her bag was leopard print because it almost blends into her coat. she is amazing. what a fun lady!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 AM) : 

Adorable? Cute? Darling? Somehow I associate those words with babies and young girls, not with a dignified elder.

She may be bent and old, but she still goes out in the world perfectly groomed and put together in a stylish way, yes, even if it is only to get the groceries. That generation wouldn't be seen in public any other way; she must be horrified by some of what she sees on the streets these days!

And isn't she a perfect example of the French woman who understands to buy good quality, classic things that you can wear forever. No disposable clothing in evidence in this photo!

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (4:13 AM) : 

oh, the best! simply the best! the best, the best, the best!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 AM) : 

Sart, you have an angel's eyes =) Luv u!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 AM) : 

"fashion"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

I love this! She is too cute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

I love this. She's too cute.

 

Blogger Alison Santighian said ... (1:17 PM) : 

She reminds me of my (maybe it's her, 20 years later) cotillion dance instructor, Miss Howell. My grandparents' country club would bring her in by train every other month or so to teach us the finer points...of what, I'm not sure. But her castinettes (to stop the live music and get our attention) and tiger-striped stilettos made the picture - and the memory.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 PM) : 

An absolutely wonderful photo worthy of Atget. Thanks for making it!

 

Blogger Mackenzie said ... (5:44 PM) : 

Amazing. I too hope I manage this look when I'm older. Tough cookie!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 PM) : 

Reminds of John Witherspoon in the movie, Boomerang; "You've got to co-or-di-nate." Do the thing, Ma.

 

Blogger StyleSpy said ... (10:13 AM) : 

This is why I want to grow old in Paris...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Ah, the privileges of age; getting to look batshit insane and actually making it work. You go, grandma!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 AM) : 

I love it when elderly folks don't lose their sense of personality, style or independence. Touching.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

Thank you, anonymous 2:19. Why is she "cute", "adorable", etc. because she is older than you are (just now). That is one of the great character flaws of youth--that inability to comprehend that older people have actual lives and fashion sense and intellect and friends and secrets and romance and business and nearly all the elements of life which you have, plus a great deal of experience that you don't have--and some of us have vintage pieces of designer fashions that you will never be able to find! zqtkPlease consider your condescension.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 AM) : 

Woah...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

shes presh!!

oh my gosh...i want her to be my grandmother. dont you just know that she has some great antiques and clothes? ahh love her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 AM) : 

brings to mind more cub than tiger, very cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 PM) : 

she is so adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

dang. i want to be this lady when i grow up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

This woman is not old, she's simply timeless. We shpuld all hope to look this pulled together in our twilight years!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

fierce granny! i wish she's my grandma...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

Oh, my! That's a whole lotta leopard, but she pulls it off brilliantly! She's a cutie...and I bet she's a real character too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 PM) : 

I love it!

Look how her bag matches the coat and dress without it being too over the top.

 

Anonymous jimena said ... (5:56 AM) : 

Reminds me of my very stylish grandma... rest in peace, Betty :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting