This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Lux/Tech

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, February 09, 2007

Lux/Tech

I love how she has mixed a super lux coat (Prada?) with an everyday windbreaker in a very noticeable contrast color.


Any person with good style could have done the windbreaker/lux coat combo but a person with great style takes it the next step and layers the windbreaker over another super-lux piece like the cardie in this photo.
To me it is not about the fact that the cardie is probably cashmere but that the stitching detail at the cuff shows just how beautifully it is made and yet worn in a very nonchalant way with totally unpretentious pieces.

Sorry the photos are not larger. I will correct that tonight.

Also, I have received a few emails want more "on the street" shots in NYC - I will be doing those over the weekend and next week so please hang in there.

ps I know I have not shown as many mens shots because most are on men.style.com but there will be more starting Monday and all through the European women's collections

Sorry I haven't been able to write more, i miss writing more but so many photos and shows that i am working very hard to get it all out for you to see. Having such a great and supportive audience has made being outside shooting in this very cold weather much easier to handle. It is hard to work the camera dials when your fingers are freezing but I'm really happy with the photos i have been getting.

We have a lot to catch up on next week.

I want to hear what you guys think about the shows. who you loved, fav looks, most disappointing show etc.

Off to the Ralph show now!!

Comments on "Lux/Tech"

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (9:20 AM) : 

This shot of lemon yellow nylon against the camel wool is so modern and unexpected. And can we talk about the trim on that coat? To die for! Her huge slouchy bag is also a great contrast to the trim fit of the coat.

 

Blogger Emma said ... (9:25 AM) : 

Keep up the fantastic work! I am crazy about your photos.

 

Blogger maximalive said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Nice combo, the cardigan seems to be in the exact same colour as the coat, sometimes you're lucky! That look is pretty hard to pull, trying to do it with a blazer would probably make you look like a lost high school kid. But nonetheless, i'll haul over to American apparel for a shiny nylon jacket. I'm getting tired of people posing like that, human legs aren't built to stand in that angle!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Perplexing! Even with the closeup of the arms, it's uncertain "how" she got only a piece of the windbreaker to show at the wrist.

Sart, indeed a big "Thank You" and a Montreal two-cheek kiss for all that you do for us.

mltt

 

Blogger Tim McCready said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Dear Sartorialist-
I love your site so much. I haven't kept up with the shows and tend to be a devotee of Dries, Japanese, and early 20th c. French couture.
But I LOVE your eye!!!!!!
Thanks for keeping me (in the sticks)in touch.
Chesley, wife of Wood Mechanic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

I think this coat is 3.1 Phillip Lim.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

sI have to tell you, the photos you post on your own site are always so much more interesting, aesthetically (in terms of what people are wearing) than the rather blah fashion world cast of characters shown on the style.com offshoot, all of whom seem to favor the same type of look, with the same "it" bag/shoes/accessories. This is a perfect example of that wonderful left-of-center, truly personal style you have such a great eye for. Really nice.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (10:34 AM) : 

One of my all-time favourite colour combos and also one of my all-time favourite styles you have shot. This is true, natural style at work. Can't wait to see the larger shots--especially curious about the hat!

 

Blogger RoseAG said ... (10:50 AM) : 

I like the color/texture combo.

It also makes me think that "lux" coat isn't very warm if she's putting the yellow windproof layer under it.

 

Blogger marie said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Everything about this shot and the person is absolutely perfect. Like you say the combo between the casual and the chic is definitely achieved in the clothing. I think it is important to break down the chicness to bring it to a higher level in order show class without signs of snobby stuffiness. But not only there, it is also very much in the posture. How her head is leaning shows her fun and spunky side, the way her hat is pulled way down reminds me of when my mom dressed me for the cold, it's playful and teasing.

"I want to be her friend" is what I think when I see this picture.

 

Blogger mavieenrose said ... (10:57 AM) : 

thanks for showing this, it's such an unexpected and creative look that made me smile. plus I bet she's warm! the coat is by Phillip lim from last fall.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

i think she looks bulky and uncomfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Regarding the shows, I absolutely adored Marc Jacobs. Looks brilliant, hugely classic, the furthest from what the girl next door would see as trendy.
The thing I like most is maybe that he used the term "bored" to describe some of his clothing - very unexpected among all the fake happiness which is usually supposed to characterize fashion.
And I d love to know what people thought about Thom Browne - looks quite ridiculous doen it?... I m still very much in doubt about thus guy... true, short pants look good but it s no news, many people are wearing them that way in Italy... and the clothing is definitely not the quality the price makes u expect (at least according to what I see in Paris at Colette)

 

Blogger lucia martinez said ... (12:05 PM) : 

I love this mix...not crazy about the coat, but definitely about the style that inspired it.

this week has put a few really well designed pieces out there, but narciso rodriguez really got me. everything was so stripped down and clean, basic, classically new york, yet high on the design elements. we're lucky to have him here--he could easily be in paris. the dress he showed on agyness was a particular standout, I thought. (but then, I'm biased and completely in love with her.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

no need to apologize ever. keep doing your thing man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Wow. Impressive mixing and layering! Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

I've got that windbreaker from American Apparel. It goes very well with white jeans. Although you look a bit like an egg.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

I've got that windbreaker from American Apparel. It goes very well with white jeans. Although you look a bit like an egg.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Wow - this is original style at its best. The love the colour combination, fabric mix and the decision to put them all together. She looks great!!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (1:31 PM) : 

im into that bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 PM) : 

I hate to make my favorite of the moment designer more popular (which makes it even harder to score my size @ the stores) but that coat is 3.1 Phillip Lim, I am 90% sure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 PM) : 

That coat looks like heaven!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

i think you fell for it... she makes the coat look much more "lux" than it really is. you just have to look at the details like the button on the sleeve, they don't seem to be done that well made. the fur on the collar seems like it was not there as she bought it. but that all doesn't matter, the result is very unique and inspired!

 

Blogger Rachella said ... (2:10 PM) : 

I'd love to see more on-the-street shots in London, or are we just a bunch of styless creatins?

 

Blogger Cut of cloth said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Love the Pixie Chic
She has a rather knowing street cred An individual Look...
You have an exceptional eye Mr Sart Not only for
composition color & detail
but tricks of light...
A gift!

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (2:56 PM) : 

i think she looks fantastic, so chic, but nonchalant is not a word i would use to describe her -- this is as studied as it gets. i don't mean that as a criticism -- the result is brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 PM) : 

yeah, that's a 3.1 phillip lim coat

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Lux/Tech, a bit in the vein of Patrik Ervell but he did it better. Amazing first show..

 

Blogger Leah Faust said ... (5:12 PM) : 

I really liked Temperly, Luella Bartley, Diane Von Furstenberg and Catherine Melandrino, but I am still catching up, so I am sure there will be more faves!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

There seems to be a more grown-up look coming through. Even Betsy Johnson offered wearable suits-- I could hardly believe it. Chris Benz had stuff that was worth cracking the wallet open for.

And MJ says "neo-grunge is dead, ditto volume." I'm pleased with that, but I'd like to see him take the lead in defining something really new in fashion, something specifically 21st century. Not just recycling past decades over and over.

 

Blogger Q said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Great job per usual, Sart, keep it up, I enjoy every one of your shots!

As for shows... MJ was a disappointment, since when did he get so serious?? Peter Som was simply beautiful with all the textures, patterns, and fabrics! The Proenza dresses were very interesting and abstract, in a very good way. Azrouel did such a nice job with simple cloths and layers, I would just look at the photos of the show in my free time. My favorite, by far, has to be Rag & Bone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 PM) : 

It is indeed 3.1 Phillip Lim Fall 2006. And the sleeves really were cut that stupidly short so that you freeze in winter without wearing a REAL coat on underneath it!

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/collections/F2006RTW/complete/thumb/PLIM

 

Blogger designerman said ... (6:20 PM) : 

Wow. She really worked out her layers. The yellow with the camel is great. I've been seeing a lot of bright yellow on runways, the street, and in windows.

It's such an upbeat color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Windbreaker is from American Apparel

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsan401w.html

 

Blogger warrior of tenderness said ... (7:33 PM) : 

My favorite look so far.

 

Blogger ajane said ... (7:42 PM) : 

This is so inspirational - not so much for the specifics of the look (though I do admire the lux/tech - soft/shiny - neutral/bright - lady/sporty juxtapositions) but for how inventive, quirky and yet bang-on this is. And as a look it isn't entirely lovely but kind of gets under my skin a bit (I mean that in a good way). I second mltt's bisou bisou.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

the coat is 3.1 phillip lim

 

Blogger Vanessa said ... (7:50 PM) : 

She looks great. I loved Chaiken's show!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 PM) : 

looove that 3.1 phillip lim coat...the whole outfit is so interesting. it's great

 

Blogger carmilevy said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Style AND practicality. I like her approach - and I especially like your blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 PM) : 

The color yellow has more extension than many other colors. This allows it to really jump out at the viewer in the photos, even with just a small piece of fabric showing.

Bill

 

Blogger Resplendato said ... (11:40 PM) : 

Very original..I would not do anything like that..but that takes guts!

From what I've seen about the show...I like the elegance I'm seeing..and lots of black.

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (11:55 PM) : 

I really like this look...somehow, with the windbreaker, hat, big cartoony bag and pigeon-toe pose, she looks like something out of a toy store. Very, very cute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 AM) : 

Sandwiched between the luxurious coat and cardigan, the nylon windbreaker suddenly suggests silk taffeta.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 AM) : 

Sart, you won the absolute.com best blog! WOW!! You ARE the best you now that? Congrats!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

sart, you are just too lovely for words

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I'd say that Phillip Lim's women daywear was my favorite because it's verry simple and yet chic.
Tommy Hilfiger was a great surprise the mns wear was verry classic with a tailord felling or the suits.And those vibrant colors were a nice add.
And I didnt like Vera Wang's collecton overall there was too much going on and some of the silhouettes were a bit pradasport.

 

Blogger lewehrman said ... (11:05 AM) : 

One of my favorites so far! This and the black textured hose with the grey tweed bloomers.

You have such a great eye!

 

Blogger Anonymous in NY said ... (11:56 AM) : 

hey sart,

i am inspired by your blog, in spite of the fact that i am frightened by fashion, which i wrongly associate with a mandate from designers. thru your site, i understand it as personal expression.

love the courage in mixing these two styles, if not the look! i would have

 

Blogger Mara Fitch said ... (1:18 PM) : 

I agree, no need to apologize. Your blog is so inspiring, thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

This look is fantastic and beautifully done! I felt very inspired by Proenza Chouler, and happy to see trousers coming back, I also really liked the dresses in the Monique Lhuillier collection, and I lovedd Marc Jacobs of coarse.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:10 PM) : 

oh - and carmen marc valvo!
great clean, non-gimmiky lines. a relief actually and much more modern/wearable for moi (a woman of a certain age) than the other marc's attempt at 'maturity'! i think he needs to grow his hair again and get over this 'maturity' moment he's having!

 

Blogger pumpkin said ... (5:22 PM) : 

this woman is some kind of crazy ridiculous style genius. that's all I can say.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 PM) : 

So far with the shows, I am not overly impressed with anyone EXCEPT the Thom Browne menswear! I want nearly all of it, and I'm a woman. It reminds me of the golden days of Romeo Gigli so much! The narrow cuffed pants, the great longer jackets - totally early GIGLI! I haven't seen the Brooks Bros. line yet but if it looks like this at all, I will be hanging out in the lads' section there!

 

Blogger M About Town said ... (8:13 PM) : 

I have to commend your work ethic. It truely shows that you are combining so many passions and putting it out there on this site. You post everyday and you run the gammet on styles and people. I love that.
Honestly the street styles I see being rocked on this site are better than what is putting put on the runways lately. ALtho I loved the MJ show.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 AM) : 

What about her shoes?! She's made what could've been work/prairie boots into something chic. I love how it offsets her coat into something not-so-serious (and yet, not comical either). Anyone know who makes them?

I'm so happy that bright yellow is coming out in the winter. I'm sick of black/brown peacoats. This is a refreshing interpretation of using the current trends and making it work!

 

Blogger lewehrman said ... (2:49 PM) : 

I enjoyed MJ show. Phillip Lim was breathtaking. Rodarte does such lovely things. The Vena Cava girls had some lovely silhouettes and fabrics. Temperley was very beautiful. All these designers used embellishments and techniques that are very European and it makes me happy. NYC is not just about jerseys and easy pieces. It is about techniques and craftsmanship, also. Environmental concerns need to be addressed in the production end. We are so behind Europe, Australia and even LA. There are some lovely "green" designers. See Linda Loudermilk.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

FYI...the coat is 3.1 Phillip Lim

 

Blogger ilovesecondhandsmoke said ... (4:54 PM) : 

Gloria Baume!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

The bag is Pollini.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting