This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

At The Marc Jacobs show

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

At The Marc Jacobs show


So what did you guys think of the Marc Jacobs show?

Comments on "At The Marc Jacobs show"

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Marc Jacobs: For someone like me who is a vintage freak, it was exciting to see an updated version of 70s-does-20s, a la Coppola's "The Great Gatsby." There are also still some mod elements in there: the bright colours and clean, simple lines--all still very exciting. Overall, the slim, masculine silhouette happens to be one I adore...

But I'm sure he'll get some flack for the collection. He calls it restrained and mature; others may see it as too safe. Personally, I thought it was gorgeous and yet also highly wearable.

(The photo: very pretty; I love her understated bling.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

omg. i am in love with that lace :3

as for the marc jacobs show, i couldn't get past the hats. i did NOT like the hats at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

I loved it and I don't think such a departure from what's going on right now (trapeze dresses and skinny pants still!) could be considered safe. The color was really sophisticated and there was still a lot of humor.

Marc is the only NY designer who can really stand up to the Europeans and teach them something. Bravo, Marc!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

I rarely watch shows so "No Comment" there.

As to this photo, it's nice. The outfit is probably stellar too and I want to see that sweater!!! It's the pearls at the waist that do the trick.

mltt

 

Blogger www.jennyhyun.tv said ... (9:32 AM) : 

I love the combination of all these different pieces. The lace adds a great feminine touch.

 

Blogger Big Eyes Strange Names said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Alas, cannot speak to the Marc Jacobs show, personally. However, I think this is the same young lady you photographed not long ago in front of the APC store in SOHO...and I am still absolutely enamoured.

 

Blogger Parisjasmal said ... (9:53 AM) : 

I loved the shade of light buttery yello he used so much. I know that sounds lame--but I loved it. His color palette was so beautiful and understated.

I also loved the bright, sparkly orange top that he paired with the plain khaki skirt. That shirt is amazing. It was unexpected and exciting!

The askew layering of the dresses reminded me very much of some pieces Tom Ford did at one of his last seasons at YSL.

Some of the ensems Marc put together reminded me of golf. Don't ask me, but that is the vibe I got.

 

Blogger Maya said ... (10:04 AM) : 

i thought that although the collection had some beautiful pieces they might be more impressive standing alone as individual pieces in the store than in the actual presentation
i was a little underwhelmed

 

Blogger Athena said ... (10:09 AM) : 

I don't know if I could wear most of the hats, but they all looked very chic and doable. I love Marc Jacobs accessories overall though. The gloves, shoes, bags, etc were all wonderful and chic. As for the clothing, I do like suits and some of the dresses. I enjoy the splashes of purple, green, etc. Not my most favourite of his collections, but definitely nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

considering that I love the Great Gatsby...I LOVED IT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Loved it - thought it was modern, feminine, strong, full of unusual color and unique fall proportion - perhaps not quite as runway-innovative as his spring collection, but in my mind in many ways a much more striking departure from current trends - less volume, the clothes make a whisper instead of a rustle.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

she is amelie, isn't it?
moreno

 

Blogger K A T A R I N A said ... (10:37 AM) : 

What a adorable coat and dress, me like!! :-)

 

Blogger Ming the Merciless said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I don't always understand his work but I respect his creativity. As for this season, I love the hats and gloves. His coats are always to die for. The first half was pretty good; like whyioughtta said, very "The Great Gatsby" but the second half was pretty much recycled Donna Karan - long and lean draping with huge belts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Loved it. Thought it was a VERY refreshing change-- just when you'd expect another show of layers and layers, you are confronted with a collection with impeccable taste yet still so aesthetically appealing. The great part about Marc Jacobs' show is that, despite the "absence" of volume, it was still undoubtedly his-- his style and story still came through. And heck, HE looks great too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

i thought it was lovely, it made me realize that i hadn't lost my interest for fashion.

the lines and the 30's-70's feel was exactly what i needed, and i would love to wear the hats.

marc is always interesting

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Loved the obscure detailing of the belts and art deco inspired jewelry and bags.

 

Blogger Carlene said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Marc Jacobs: Very 70s YSL/last season's Prada/1930s illustration. The opening of the show (via video, anyway) was stunning. Those were some tall drinks of water, too, weren't they?

 

Blogger Tony said ... (11:21 AM) : 

Well-made high waist collection. Accessories' color is outstanding. Sleek line makes him being lovely designer.

 

Blogger Pillole Di Moda said ... (11:33 AM) : 

I didn't like it. Although i loved some single pieces (the red pleated skirt, some printed dresses), the lines were too straight for me. And the collars of all jackets/shirts were too big & pointy. I loved the mature woman, Katharine Hepburn style, but it would not be the kind of style i would see myself wearing.

 

Blogger elisa renouard said ... (12:24 PM) : 

Hated the marc jacobs show! Well, with the exception of the little black dress with raspberry and purple ruffles at the bottom. I thought the collection was dated, stern, and depressing-looking. I can appreciate a well-done masculine silhouette, but these were so incredibly unflattering.

However, the lady in the photo is lovely.
(I much prefer more feminine looks.)

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:44 PM) : 

All the ladies were wearing hats...
The 40's style is back.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:15 PM) : 

It was very 1930s/Deco. I'm glad to see him get away from his "girly" design muse, for once. It was time. I can't wait to see how this collection influences other designers.

 

Blogger Stephanie said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I thought his fall line was perfection. Chic, sophisticated, wearable, and very New York.s

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I trust Marc Jacobs to be young, fun, and whimsical. This collection, while those elements are certainly woven in throughout some of it, lacked them as a whole. I don't see myself wearing nearly any of the collection besides the belts and coats (I'm a 20-year old student living in NYC.) If I was a 50-year old working woman stuck in the early 90's, MAYBE. This is my initial impression and perhaps a bit more analysis may change it, but at this point I'm a bit disappointed, I have to say. Hopefully my faith in Marc will be dedeemed via Marc by Marc Jacobs or Louis Vuitton.

 

Blogger - said ... (1:35 PM) : 

marc jacobs show? just shocking!!!!! it´s not marc jacobs...(grunge style) i dont like this kind of 80´s high sociaty look (with some 20´s reminicenses)but in terms of creativity is brilliant!!!
best thing: the colors and the female tuxedo
he´s one of my favourites

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 PM) : 

it looked a lot like last season's prada don't you think?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 PM) : 

I loved it!! I was kind of getting sick of the volume and this was unexpected in a good way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

'Least I think she was beautiful! That dress..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

Marc Jacobs has always impressed me much like this young lady's cheekbones do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

I loved the entire collection, but more than that I love how Marc's collections always evoke strong opinions.

 

Blogger Gidget Bananas said ... (3:31 PM) : 

I thought Marc Jacobs' clothes were totally wearable -- by me. He and other fashionistas may not regard being worn by a middle-aged, mid-sized, almost-middle-American as a compliment, but too damn bad. I'll have to run out and get one of Jacobs' gorgeous coats and a sleek pair of pants or two before he goes back to grunge.

 

Blogger Dino said ... (3:39 PM) : 

Fascinating. Could be criticized for time capsule specifics a la his AW '03 Courreges / Gernreich collection. Since I missed Karls Train Bleu to Monte Carlo I'm thinking this is the ticket to Marcs Deauville. Loving the hats and makeup. Are the looks a little too Petra Von Kant for Poirot's Miss Lemmon?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Iloved it. the previous post nails it perfectly. I was beginning to think that his clothes were looking a bit homely and doudy. This is a great change! I love the big hats!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

I love Marc Jacobs and I especially love this collection! The pieces looked very wearable and beautiful. I can't wait for next fall to get one of the fabulous coats!

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (4:07 PM) : 

i wish i was there,, :(

won't you take me to a mj show?

i could never get in!

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (4:17 PM) : 

I love this girls look - is she an editor? her lace skirt peeping through is so pretty...

I just saw pics from the show online at UK Vogue - love the simple elongated shapes, lots of solid colour,sophisticated look !! a fresh take on 20's and romantic 70's....I quite liked it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 PM) : 

I read a review at style.com and it said that Marc´s fall show was classic american, but for me it wasnt classic at all.
It was mature, with a little european touch, it was beautiful and subversive
Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

i'm definitely in the "too safe" camp: i'm glad he (and most of the other designers so far) are moving away from the overly fluffy spring look, but this collection just seemed boring to me. the genie pants from his spring show are obviously a losing proposition, but aren't there more interesting things to do than this overly familiar silhoutte?

(of course, i only see the shows on nymag and style.com!)

 

Blogger Q said ... (7:36 PM) : 

Cute outfit by girl, love the lace with wool coat layering; so-so show by Marc, though.

I loved the set design with the art nouveau runway, but the clothes were too old and serious (minus the third-grade-ish primary colors). But I can definitely see myself wearing some of the gorgeous black dresses, like here: http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/F2007RTW/MJACOBS/RUNWAY/00330m.jpg

Loving Marc's new hair cut and clean oxford look at the end!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Re: Marc Jacobs. Very VERY Jean Muir, with a little Biba, and the costumes from the Conformist, Cabaret, and The Damned.

 

Blogger missx said ... (8:39 PM) : 

It's interesting to read some of the opinions people posted. I agree with some that say it reminds them of YSL, but definitely with a more updated wearable take. It also reminded me of some Bertolucci films. I feel in love with a white coat. It had a slight kimono look, but beautifully fitted. I didn't like some of the hats, but the hat on this coat was gorgeous too, a downplayed shape with a simple charcoal gray band.

I was not a fan of some of the pieces with "graphic designs", because I am just generally not attracted to that type of clothing. Perhaps, overall, the collection was not as "pleasing to the eye" as his previous, multi-layer ones were, but I still think his ideas were a great starting point for a new design approach. The colors were definitely very basic and even distinctly primary, and I can't decide whether or not I like that.

But, my favorite element was definitely the runway- the gray tile pattern was a great background for the clothes.

 

Blogger missx said ... (8:41 PM) : 

Oh, and of course, his fans in New York will still be fiercely loyal. He is our boy, after all.

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (8:51 PM) : 

we all adore Marc but he should have saved this direction for Louis Vuitton, no?

your girl was channeling Sofia, even her body language.

you should publish your photos, they're great.

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (8:52 PM) : 

we all adore Marc but he should have saved this direction for Louis Vuitton, no?

your girl was channeling Sofia, even her body language.

you should publish your photos, they're great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 PM) : 

I like his dresses, but the hats were too generic looking. Sometimes his clothes seem to be pulled straight out of thrift stores, too vintage without a modern twist. You can see that he is trying to add this modern element, and keep the vintage homage going.

Some of the models are too generic and thin. Sorry, but the clothes needed more than mannequins.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

marc jacobs show...it was very much not 'jacob-y' it was a little too clean cut for me. although, i guess these are actually pieces i would wear. i actually liked the hats, they added some 'pizzazz' to the otherwise almost bland collection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 PM) : 

This is Suzanne Deeken, who used to do some styling and consulting for Marc Jacobs - maybe she still does? She always holds herself so elegantly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 AM) : 

question: what coat is the girl wearing? (is it MJ?)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 AM) : 

what coat is the girl wearing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 AM) : 

Anybody know where she got that lace dress/skirt from? I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 AM) : 

I didn't like it. To much Falcon Crest and "elegant old lady" over it..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

I thought his show was so surprising and cleansing. Rather than the brilliant offerings of the past that were destined to be brought off the runway and onto the streets, I thought these clothes were mostly about ideas/art direction. It reminded me of his other "palate cleanser" that preceded the last two gorgeous seasons. Personally I am glad for the break - sometimes a rest period is good for fashion, don't you?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:10 PM) : 

she is precious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 PM) : 

really lovely+ i think it is still him only more grown up. The charming and kitchy details are still there, but more refined and ladylike. I loved it+

 

Blogger yanqin said ... (10:42 PM) : 

I like the outfit - not everyone can pull off granny chic so elegantly and not look costume-y.

The minute the show opened with the red coat, I was hooked. Thank god the layers of last winter was gone. The hats were great, and the accessories have down-sized a bit, less cartoon-ish and actually practical, although the oversized clutches were a bit too Prada.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 AM) : 

I thought the show was really interesting because all of the sudden all of the volume and pleating and puffs on everyone else's clothes look a little 'dated'.

And I think a lot of the clothes are beautiful and really salable. The problem is, I'm not sure Jacob's clientele is going to be the people buying. It's a little old for them. There's very little young or flirty /hipster. It says 'Great Gatsby' and I think that if it came from Bill Blass or YSL, it would sell huge. But will Bill Blass/YSL customers even look?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 AM) : 

It's definitely time we departed from volume and Marc Jacobs makes a brilliant departure.

The lines are understated and require a mature sartorialists' eye to appreciate them.

I love the sharp scissors like collars, and the way the colour of the model's hair adds a lift to the colours in the collection.

Perhpas a more creative delivery of the show would have inspired a wider spread appreciation for the clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

WAS AMAZING. Love the clean "bored" look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

I was really disappointed that he went back to doing reworked vintage, as is is stock in trade. I was hoping he was going to continue forward in the present tense, as in his last two collection. Great presentation, though. And it was fun to watch Amber Valletta watching Shalom Harlowe walk the runway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Some of the sweaters look to be direct copies of Perry Ellis's Delauney/Russian Constrctivist collection of the mid-80s (when Perry was still alive).

Anyway, I really like the collection.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (1:07 PM) : 

really lovely shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 AM) : 

Positive-negative's comment is perhaps the most perceptive thing I've ever seen written here - aside from sart's, of course.

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (2:22 AM) : 

Pure class, with just enough whimsy to keep it fresh (that collar!)

The Marc Jacobs show...to be honest, it reminded me a little of Miu Miu S/S 07 (which wasn't all bad), but I really liked the hats.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:57 PM) : 

love her! don't love this collection
reminds me of my mother in the 60's/70's
boring

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting