This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.......Goth Goddess, Antwerp

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, January 22, 2007

On the Street.......Goth Goddess, Antwerp

This girl was quite the site walking down a side street with her cape blowing in the wind. What I really like is that she has a Goth look but has kept the sweet innocent face. I think that is much more interesting because you don't quite know what you are up against. I was a little ......not nervous....but more guarded when I approached her. I love that this sweet girl was able to keep me a little off-balance.

Comments on "On the Street.......Goth Goddess, Antwerp"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

She is soooo a Rembrandt come alive!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Not at all Goth to me -- 19th century. Wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

breathtaking I adore the cape.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

Wow. While this look is not for everyone, she's so much more interesting than some of the formulaic fashionistas at the shows.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Lovely lady - she looks otherwordly! I wish I see more of this in Brussels when I visit early next month! When did yo ugo to Antwerp? My crew is going there as I write this, to set up one of our designs at the Antwer exhibition center, for the tourism show! If I'd known you'd be there, I would have accompanied them myself, just to meet you...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Es un hada en plena ciudad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

and behind her the flagship store of Dries Van Noten, 'Het Modepaleis'.
One of my favorites!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Hmmm . . . it's definitely goth but I don't know if it's really stylishly dressed re: a gothic fashion. I can say she's quite daring and has a definite flair for the dramatic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

Hrm..Dunno if i like this or not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

Very good idea for a site. Some of these peoples dress sense is very good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Woua! as we say in French: LA CLASSE!(Lestat's daughter maybe)

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:58 AM) : 

This is quite amazing, an exercise in volume building that gets better and better as it progresses, inside to out. Note also how canny her sense of proportion....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

About goths: I have to admit that the style is very popular on the nordic hemisphere cities and in some recent collections. But it is also an expected statement from young heavy souls that like to also experiment with eyeliner.
The further I've gotten into the goth path is maybe wearing all black and reading Demian by Hesse (not at once). I would dare to say that I DO avoid looking goth.... sorry heavy souls but you scare me a little.

This girl looks like she is very very wise and totally naive all at once. That is great! she seems to be enjoying her self, and she is proud of her assumed persona. Nice shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:26 PM) : 

How gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

I'm with nan. What made it goth is the gloves perhaps? Without them, though, it's a simple time period homage that's well done.

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

Wow. How dramatic. She really does take your breath away. Her posture is quite impressive as well!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 PM) : 

Why do you refer to her as a "girl"?
You don't refer to the men in your photos as "boys".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

i don't have no words to describe such style! but i love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

I passed on an orange scarf on recent trip to Chicago. Not that I didnt love it, but it occurred to me that with my black leather jacket, I would be wearing my high school colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 PM) : 

yeha I get more of a 19th century vibe as well...I alwyas admire people who can wear fashion with no fear...check out my blog if you get a chance

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (1:16 PM) : 

She is other wordly - her face is beautiful. Sets off an incredible look.

 

Blogger Resplendato said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Jane Eyre!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Antwerp??? Blimey! Allow me to send a proper welcome in the name of all your Belgian readers.
And raise a hand if you need a guide in Antwerp or Brussels these days!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 PM) : 

Bravo. Simply wonderful. Gothic rather than goth; no black lipstick or nail polish, hair a delightfully naturally occuring color (though perhaps not her natural color)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

goth? yes. stylish? no.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

The outfit is quite dramatic and romantic but the shoes ruin it for me. So clunky.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

I see some others agree with me that this look isn't really "Goth" in the normal sense, perhaps goth-inspired ("Goth-ic", to coin a phrase?) Did she actually admit to being a Goth, or was that your silent assumption?

That said, I think she's really stunning and certainly commands a presence. If she walked by me, I'd certainly feel the urge to compliment her striking outfit (unless my girlfriend's with me, obviously; then I just shut up and try to catch a sly glimpse.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

SARTORIALIST ... where's pics from the mens shows in paris? are they coming? i mean, the shows finish tommorrow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Stunning. And confident. She does this wonderfully. And I do think that counts as goth, although there are some additional things to consider, such as music. If she wore that to a goth club I frequent, I would not think her out of place a bit.

- samantha

 

Blogger Regina said ... (2:26 PM) : 

That's unbelievably theatrical!
It wouldn't really work out here in Brazil - not because we don't have Goths of our own, but because they want to seem sooooooooo mean...
But it's beautiful anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

The thing that really makes this picture "pop" is the red. Her hair, the scarf, the color at her waist. Without these, the effect just wouldn't be the same...

Brilliant!

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (2:58 PM) : 

Very cool. She seems so poised and self-possessed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

I rarely see capes that long since I live in a area that is too warm to wear one that long. I do love her cape though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Thank you so much for recognizing the beauty of Goth and not ridiculing it like a lot of fashion magazines and blogs do. The girl is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Or Cathy from "Wuthering Heights"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

What are you doing in Antwerp? I really hope you'll be in Paris to cover the Haute Couture shows this week! X

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Scott, you're a sucker for a pretty girl in a cape...
she's cute, but I'm with Jasper; lemme into the Dries shop!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

This girl represents the soul of Antwerp very well! I have only been there once, but my impression was a sort of a mysterious city, with the same depth and "double" personality as this girl.. Like in the contrast between "the captial of diamonds"-Antwerp, "the capital of innovative art and design"-Antwerp and "the dirty harbour"-Antwerp

I hope the weird police man didnt scare you from exploring the city further...funny story though, hehe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

a very unique look, i like =)

&this is minor/anal, but there's a tiny typo in the entry...it's "sight" not "site" sorry to be so picky, but it just kinda stuck out when i read it

anyway, keep up the good work!!
=)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

WOW I love that picture! and with your stories i see that you are a funny writer too!
Nice :)
Felicitaciones!

 

Blogger Chana said ... (5:37 PM) : 

How beautiful!

If only she knew how we all appreciate her costume... ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

Love it. Love the worn Doc Martens especially.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

ah, but posture is always better with a cape---be it real or imaginary!

lovely.

b

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 PM) : 

the photo is really cool, you don't find people dressed like that every day...but I don't really like her style...

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (7:14 PM) : 

I love seeing people commit to a look. Be it for one day, or always, it takes confidence and a bit of showmanship!

Also, gotta love a red-head!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 PM) : 

SHe definitely has a certain look from maybe the 1800s. It's reminiscent of a movie set in centuries-old England, fitting for a dark, cold, dreary winter afternoon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 PM) : 

Oh, so cute! She's like a little girl Theyskens muse. Original and charming.

 

Blogger JO said ... (7:41 PM) : 

Great SHOT! What a beautiful girl - I can Write a novel with her as a character - her face is so beautiful and gentle aganst the strong black

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 PM) : 

Beautiful. Would be better with different shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

The boots, I think, would shore up any lingering doubts about whether it's a goth look or not.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (9:01 PM) : 

oh.wow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Really lovely! I don't think or care whether she's goth or not, but certainly she's got her way! I mean, she looks spectacular, elegant and totally confident.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM) : 

Great style. Antwerp is amazing, btw. I hope you stay a few days and shoot there. Do stay away from Amsterdam though...not quite as inspired, fashion-wise IMO.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 PM) : 

I love this b/c she obviously has courage to break out of the "chic" mold and do her own version of beautiful style. While not my personal or subcultural taste, she is so beautifully self styled!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 AM) : 

there certainly is a certain something about her isnt there?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:16 AM) : 

To Nan and Anonymous 12:32:

They had Doc Martens in the 19th century?

Definitely goth - in that way that a woman in stovepipe jeans, an old white t shirt and a pair of Manolos is chic, and a girl in the same thing with converse is indie rock.

To Sart: I love the fact that you focussed on this. If your goal was to take pictures the way a designer sees the world (in your own way), I really think you hit the mark when you look outside the usual fashion crowd. Don't get me wrong - I love the pictures of the fashion crowd. It's just nice to know there's more out there to be inspired by.

She reminds me, a bit, of all of those early(ish) 90's monastic looks with the great coats. I think I still have a full length Calvin Klien coat from the period . . .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 AM) : 

Oh, more from Antwerp, please. The fashion-watching is wonderful there because everyone in the city buys and wears the local designers. You would see mothers and daughters - no connection with the fashion business, not rich women - just naturally wearing stuff like the boiled wool asymmetrical skirts, jackets with three sleeves - looking exactly right in them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 AM) : 

How dramatic. Really nice. Love the contrast.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 AM) : 

Sorry but I find it very...shivering!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

I applaud her fashion risk-taking, but her look is one that betrays a potential sensibility to bore us with teenage angst poetry of moonlight, blood, and unrequitted love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

How amazing you are in Antwerp! My sister and I are fans of your great blog for quite a while now. Do come by in our shoeboutique 'georgette' at the Steenhouwersvest 15! It's quite close to the Fashion Museum. We can give you lots of tips on where to find some stylish antwerp ladies & gentlemen...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 PM) : 

Hester Prynne!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:10 PM) : 

Bingo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

"What I really like is that she has a Goth look but has kept the sweet innocent face." That's what I was thinking when I looked at the photo...well sorta...i guess it was more like, "thank god she doesn't have goth makeup to match her goth outfit." i like it! nice shot w/ the cape just being picked up by the wind.

:) D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 PM) : 

As always I love to remember that this one of the few places that values style over fashion.

 

Blogger 'signorina' said ... (11:22 PM) : 

I'm thinking Willow, in the bizzarro-world episode of "Buffy" - i.e. when Willow becomes a vampire.

Sorry. Got that out of my system now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

The shoes are a little heavy and mannish.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

VERY BEAUTIFUL!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 PM) : 

The hood is lined in red, which complements her hair and offsets her face. But the rest of the cape appears either unlined or lined in black.

Interesting. I think a different color hood lining would be needed for different colored hair though. For brown hair, any suggestions?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Right out of the "Seventh Seal".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

i'm with anon 11:50. she knows how to pull it all together, but it still gives off highschool kid in an emo phase who repetitively tells himself "my life sucks," vibe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

It's Gini Weasley all grown up, is what it is. And she's gorgeous.

 

Blogger Hong Kong Loudspeakers said ... (11:00 AM) : 

The gothic cape outfit works well with her pearl white skin tone. The dark and light contrast work perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 PM) : 

Good eye as usual, the lady looks delicious. Very glad you plucked up the courage.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 AM) : 

Waw that's a great pic.
Can't wait to see the other shots you did in Antwerp!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 AM) : 

Great pic.
So much better than so many of the -albeit stylish-fashionista's on your blog.
I adore someone who stands out of the crowd without being a follower of fashion (though some might say she follows a subcultural dresscode). It speaks volumes on one's character.
Individualism is the new black!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Wow, that is one gorgeous cape!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 AM) : 

She is the most incredible thing I've seen in years. I'm at a loss for words.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Its with goth as any other lifestyle/style, the use of too many attributes will destroy the look.
(Rockabilly can look amazing if you don´t go too heavy on the tattoos, skulls and whatnots. Dito for punk. And don´t think the gentleman´s uniform of dries, armani and so forth is any better or worse. It is what you make it.)

Using a set style to dress is an easy way out. I love how the sartorialist catches those who walk the less trodden path. Whether it be a cape or a surprisingly loud scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

Pretty young girl. Almost angelical. Her ensemble is hauntingly beautiful. Wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

you need to come to melbourne..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 PM) : 

WOW! Love it. I once saw Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau on the street in Montreal with a cape. He looked absolutely dashing and gorgeous. I've seen several capes since but only this one looks nearly as great. Beautiful photo, too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 AM) : 

Love it!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:13 AM) : 

She looks directly come out of Interveiw with vampire with that Goth

 

Anonymous DarkDreamer said ... (11:14 AM) : 

Lovely.
In that street- de kammenstraat- in antwerp, there's a store that sells gothic clothes. -It's a wonderfull, bit creepy store, like all gothstores-
so you often see girls and boys with these styles. But this is an amazing shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 PM) : 

For the author of the blog...

Well, Sir... I think if you go to the Wave Gotik Treffen festival, their eyes would be fascinated in the vision that you could have.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Oh! She has a really sweet and intelligent countenance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

Wow! She is a vampire!!! Beautiful and brave!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting