This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street... Mercer St., New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, January 05, 2007

On The Street... Mercer St., New York

Just about perfect - click to enlarge

Comments on "On The Street... Mercer St., New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 AM) : 

How wonderful! Great shoot. I like the lady's smile. Are those Chloé-boots?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

I love, especially, her convincing use of a high waistline (Thom Browne for women?) and those shoes, which seem to nod to the faintly turn-of-the-century flavor of this waist height/skirt length. I also appreciate the way the look is demure, feminine, and casual, but a bit more mysterious than conservative; and evocative of winter but perfectly adapted to global warming...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 AM) : 

She's Beautiful with a capital B! The skirt reminds me of a skirt I actually tried to *make* in high school. I wore it with tights, natch, and brown perforated wooden platform t-straps; I wish I had those shoes now. And I love the blue storefront.

And the gray tights. I'm still loving them, but I can't find a pair to save my life. I'm making do with a darker charcoal, but still.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Fantastic! The white shirt makes it fresh.

 

Blogger www.jennyhyun.tv said ... (9:14 AM) : 

So cute! The brown and black really works.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

APC!!! of course she looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Mmm - the librarian look! I have a thing about librarians....

Julius

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I appreciate the individual pieces, but I don't think this look is very flattering. the shoes are great, but IMO need a shorter skirt to avoid looking dowdy. the skirt seems to be so high it's right under her breasts and makes her look like she's got a tummy. the jacket gets lost under that scarf. Again, great pieces and clearly this beautiful woman has impeccable taste, but I just think that the proportions are a bit off here.
-p.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Thank you that the shoes lean toward brown.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

ok, I take it back, the skirt is not "so high it appears to start under her breasts," but I still think that a shorter skirt (with a lower waist or the top not tucked in like that) would be more flattering and I would have loved to see more of that jacket.
-p.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

she is fantastic
>.<

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

my mum wore this exact outfit sometime in 1977. it looked good then, and oddly, it still does. i love the chloe booties.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Cool textures, and I love the mix of neutrals.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

There is something of Anna Mouglalis in her face...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

The tights and shoes make it. I like the primness of her clothes versus her loose hair, scarf and big La Dolce Vita smile.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Love it! Especially the grey tights. She looks lovely framed by the blue of the building as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

This photo's background does more for her than the outfit itself does. Snapping her in front of that storefront -- with that lovely blue paint that plays off her flannel skirt -- is just a wonderful moment.

 

Blogger blackbird said ... (10:53 AM) : 

You know...
it's so nice to see these people each day -
thank
you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Great to see a longer, high-waisted skirt. Elegant change from the mini-over-leggings look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Love it! The lines are lovely, as is the brown scarf...and those shoes. But it's the thick tights that really perfect it for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

like the brown, the high waisted skirt, and the thick leggings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

I love this lovely lady's sophisticated combination of grey, black, and brown - and the proportions are impeccable!

Carlene - I believe you can find tights like that on the Stockin Girl website (which I adore!) - www.stockingirl.com.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Love it all, esp. the tights and boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Yay high-waisted skirt! Yay APC! Fabulous expression on the subject - kinda saucy.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:46 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:47 PM) : 

she was outside APC but my guess is her clothes are all Marc Jacobs

She was with Venetia Scott who is one of Marc Jacobs creative consultants ( i guess that is how to phrase her job). I shot Venetia for the new video I did for Style.com. She looks so cool and what she says is really funny/cool. The video should be up by the end of the month.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

I love this. Who made that skirt?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Her style seems more oriented towards Prada sensibilities, the age and the proportions are more "mature" than the Chloe spirit. What is interesting is that in deed this woman manages to make the clothes stay in a very specific identity. I looooove those shoes, but I think the shoes add gravity to any age. I prefer them in slim silhouettes than this one. They always remind me of and old italian or spanish woman in a church, and wearing smaller pieces making the whole look more ethereal might work better.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Thanks to your keen eye, I'm now appreciating textures and proportions more than ever. That's kind of what makes this outfit work--good balance of textures (light frilly blouse, flannel skirt, textured tights, smooth stacked-heel oxfords) and proportions (high-waist A-line skirt, big scarf, good heel-to-leg-exposure ratio).

Very nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

oh my gosh, i wish i was her! beautiful, i also esp love the stocking and those booties! I want it all, just supremely lovely+

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

This is Suzanne Deeken, a London-based stylist who consults for the Marc line

 

Blogger NATRIBU said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Me encantan los zapatos! Y la falda me gusta porque lleva la cintura en su sitio.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

I think I love everything but the shoes...she looks great, but I don't think I could pull off the shoe look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Everything is perfect, especially her smile!!!

 

Blogger Nor said ... (5:31 PM) : 

You're right, this is perfect. Best I've seen in a long while. Thankyou so much for capturing this!

Eleanor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Love it! I wore a very similar outfit yesterday, instead of wool flannel skirt, I put on high-waisted knee-length wool dress pants!

Looking forward to the video!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 PM) : 

charcoal, brown, grey, and black done perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 PM) : 

to the tights quester: I recently found a pair of gray ones at Brooklyn Industries...

about the shoes: I NEED those but Chloe is not in the budget.In art school I had a pair of "Nun Shoes" that I wore until the metal shanks broke...where to find an affordable, modern pair?

about the girl: she's fab/ a favorite looker, but now that I read she's in the Jacobs' posse, I am a bit crestfallen cause I was fancying it was all flea/APC/grandma grab bag.

 

Blogger Three Repute said ... (6:21 PM) : 

holy moses, the rise on that skirt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

Love the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

She looks FAB! I love the shape of her skirt, the mix of murky brown and gray looks really interesting...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

She looks very happy, which is always nice to see, but the outfit doesn't work for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Love the loook, but I would change the hair style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

She looks great, although I thought "is she from a different time period?" ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Ahhhh, sensible shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 PM) : 

I like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

great clothes but really.. the smile is unsurpassed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 AM) : 

Hi Sart;

I'm a long time lurker but a first time poster. I love her clothes, smile, everything. But I have to laugh because being short and short waisted almost every skirt I've ever tried on fits me this way! Somehow it just doesn't look as good on me though.

I visit your site every day and have received much sartorial inspiration which I use to liven up my frumpy California ex-urban community.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 AM) : 

She's amazing, a great look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

the outfit and the coat are wonderful. simple and classic. i do feel the scarf is a bit overwhelming on her and a distraction from whats underneath.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 PM) : 

Hard to believe but this is just an average days look by Suzannes standards. She always looks amazing. Amazing style and taste.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

I think she's...lovely. I would ask her out on a date.

 

Blogger bethyb said ... (11:24 PM) : 

Oh, those Chloe shoes.... I know they're nearly has-beens but I have lusted after them for so long... she looks lovely in them!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 AM) : 

she is suzana deeken, she design marc by marc. she rules.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:53 AM) : 

Jack Daniels, I was thinking exactly the same thing :-O

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

So beautiful. I don't think the outfit would work on anyone less luminous than this woman.

 

Blogger Marisa Morrison said ... (3:44 PM) : 

ahhhhhh the chloe platform booties! i'm so jealous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 PM) : 

Perfect! Her smile is great, and the look is quite Chloe... but maybe more mature? Greatgreatgreat. Thanks again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 PM) : 

I love those shoe boots...bought myself a pair from overseas :)

M xx

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting