This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Beach......Miami Chic, Florida

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, January 04, 2007

On the Beach......Miami Chic, Florida

Minimalism without texture, and dimension is just boring - she does a great job giving depth to the look by using black and navy layers.
I really love that both bags have their own pattern and texture.

Comments on "On the Beach......Miami Chic, Florida"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 AM) : 

Really elegant! Almost a "Flemish painting" look.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:12 AM) : 

I love the folds and shape of the fabric. A lovely detail. She looks elegantly fluid!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 AM) : 

It looks oddly out of proportion. Maybe it is just the way she is standing.

Neat purse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Fashionfanatic60 said...

Wow! This is incredible - the textures in the bag and shoes, the way her hair color echoes the outfit. And she looks like she's wearing the clothes, not the other way around. Really chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

I love the black, I love the photo and the greenery in the background.

But why would anyone wear something that actually creates the illusion of huge thighs? She's obviously a thin woman, but it just looks a little unbalanced.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

I love that black bag! It reminds me of a game I had as a kid called Triominoes. The peices were black triangle dominoes with numbers you had to match. I think. What a fun memory!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

She is totally elegant. Love the hair and every other detail in the picture that spells commitment to her look. Where is she standing? It looks like a religious background; and the garb is "monkish." And she looks tall. Is she? Oh, do tell us all!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

i love the whole ensemble...not sure but her head seems too small for her body. Or maybe the outfit makes her head really small

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

her bag is astounding, i even like her shopping bag. how chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

the bag looks like the opera House in sydney. stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Fantastic. I am totally smitten with that bag -- can anyone tell me more about it? Leather? Plastic? Who makes it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

She looks fantastic....Very Issey Miyake...and I believe that bag is from the "Pleats Please" collection of Issey Miyake.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

I like the duplicity of the outfit--the organic forms of her clothing and the very architectural, polyganal form of her purses. Wonderful photograph.

Sidenote: The purse is a Pleats Please by Issey Miyake bag. I bought one about a year ago in Japan and it's incredible. I love how it mutates according to the amount of stuff you put in it. The objects inside the purse manifest themselves, in a way, into the purse. Chouette.

-Alessandra

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Cool hypercube bag. Very "theoretical physics"...in a good way.

I love your point about minimalism without texture being too plain. I have learned something today that I hadn't realized before. Excellent observation.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Want all of it. >sigh<

 

Blogger Regina said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Very simple and stylish. Even flathering.

Once again, you did a great job!
;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Fantastic. What finesse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

She looks smashing and texturally inviting. I just want to touch her clothes and bags. Assymetrical man,assymetrical!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

So welldressed with terrific details and accessories, but yet so simple.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

Alessandra, does the black bag have a 'name'?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Origami! love love love this outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

her bag is marvelous, i believe its from Issey Miyake.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 PM) : 

Very stylish and tasty. I don't like the bag as such but as part of that outfit it turns into a well chosen fashion accessory.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 PM) : 

Normally I lurk and never post. Reason being I think most of the people photographed look like shit. Well, maybe not that bad, but definitely like they crawled out of bed, dressed in the dark, and forgot to look in the mirror on the way out the door. Boo Hiss on leggings and trendy wear. (The older gents photographed are always dressed like they get it.)

This woman is the exception. She looks amazing, truly beautiful inside and out.

Anon...don't hate me because I only love classic beauty

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 PM) : 

I want to like this but I really don't. She's lost in those clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

Great bag without a doubt! She is really something!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

I think she looks amazing. Even the part in her hair is a perfect accessory!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 PM) : 

She looks like a piece of art. Plus comfortable. Plus gorgeous. Not to mention the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

If she is who I believe her to be, she actually lives in NYC and works in a Modern Art museum....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 PM) : 

this has been the most inspirational post I have seen thus far. Original and exciting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 AM) : 

Anon-

I don't know the name of that particular style, but the that purse has been in the Pleats Please line for several seasons now. It's made of vinyl and mesh. You could contact them at any of their stores in New York, London, Japan or Paris--the information is on their website at www.pleatsplease.com. Good luck!

-Alessandra

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 AM) : 

No one hates you anon 6:32, at least not me, but consider not everyone is a classic beauty, but some are romantic beauties. If you say only classic is beautiful, you are excluding at least half the world from your love!

We all have a preference, and sometimes that even changes in the course of a lifetime. I vascilate sometimes. I take what suits my beauty, and all may do the same, because all are beautiful, and if you can't see this, you don't know what to look for. You will learn on this blog! To be so rigid though is to confine yourself ultimately. It is all about blossoming and bearing good fruit as the tree that we are. We are not all oranges and apples. Some are starfruits.

I must say, I appreciate the whole spectrum of beauty. But what I truly admire, is when someone knows themselves, enjoys themselves, and does not dictate to others. Freedom.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I work with this woman, and indeed, she does work at a modern art museum. So psyched to see her on this site. She's a truly classy woman--lovely to look at, lovely to know!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

Thanks, Alessandra. I'm in NYC; I'll go to the store this weekend. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

To anon 9:47 a.m.: Maybe she wasn't thinking about her thighs. Maybe--*gasp*--she doesn't CARE about the size of her thighs. Maybe--and this I'm pretty sure of--she's just a really stylish woman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

i love love love her bag! where can i find this bag? i've seen it before, but don't know where it's from.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Dear Anon 7:25,

Allow me to elaborate on my classic beauty statement. I'm almost 39 and was adopted and raised by a couple old enough to be great grandparents. When I was young, everything about them was horribe - my mother always wore dresses and red lipstick (or a bright pink), drove a big Cadillac (safer than newer compact cars, you know) and her hair was stark white by the time I was 10. She was obsessive about SPF and I was drenched in it whenever I was outside and, in the fall when it was windy, she always wrapped a scarf around my head and tied it under my chin so my hair would not get tangled. I hated it all, my best friend's mother was so cool in her polyester pants, driving her Pinto. My mother died suddenly when I was 27 and as I sat by her hospital bed an odd thought occured to me - while her body lay falling apart and shutting down her skin was as perfect as ever. Amazing. After she died I found all of her dresses and realized they were beautiful, it was the polyester clad there were not.

So for my mother here is what I mean by classic beauty. It's not a statment meaning that your facial features have to be a certain way or you have to dress a certain way or pay a lot for your clothing. It's not that you have to be a certain height and weigh next to nothing either. It's about being yourself and ignoring the rest.

I quote your post here:

"I must say, I appreciate the whole spectrum of beauty. But what I truly admire, is when someone knows themselves, enjoys themselves, and does not dictate to others."

I'm inclined to agree, however in the confined photos of this blogger and the subject, most of the women are cookie cutter images, give or take very little. The colors might differ, or the scarf tied differently. But most look trendy, and nothing more. Most likely a year from now they won't be caught dead in the same outfit. Off to the next trend.

Regarding the woman who sparked my original post she looks classic, as if she would wear the same outfit 20 years from now...I best described her as my opinion of classic beauty with the following words 'She looks beautiful inside and out' It seems like quite a few of the women photographed on this blog are smiling for the camera and look like they'd rather be anywhere else.

Final thought: The photos of men recently posted in their suits and ties are fascinating. So many look to be perfectionists.

Anon

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

Simply eye catching. It's not just prettiness or elegance. Where on earth have you found these people?? (or the scene??)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

I get the feeling that most of the comments - all postive - are coming from women. I have a more feminine ideal of wome'ns beauty and elegance and this does not even come close. She looks, as someone has remarked completely out of proportion; indeed, she reminds me of Olive Oyle and looks just as cartoonish. the best thing she is wearing are the shoes and perhaps the handbag. There fare more beautiful examples of well dressed women in this blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:09 PM) : 

I absolutely LOVE that bag!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

I love the way she plays with volume, all pieces are very beautifully put together!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

I love her paleness - such a contrast to her outfit!
is this a normal look for a Miami Winter...I just imagined Miami style to be so different...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

as they say in Germany "Black is Beautiful"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 PM) : 

Ha ha ha -- the comment by Anon 3:18pm made me laugh. : )
If the positive comments are coming from women, surely *they* are feminine. It sounds like your ideal of what a woman's beauty should be is one that should be determined by men. Hmmmm....
And yes, I'm a woman, and in my feminine opinion, the woman in this shot looks luminous, her clothes are chic and comfortable (and are probably well-made).
And hooray for another blue/black mixer. I think this blog has definitively buried that taboo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

I love how both of the bags has the geometrical shapes and the black and white just perfect accents each other.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

I saw this woman a few days ago on 13th street in NYC. It was odd to recognize someone from The Sartorialist, she seemed like a mini celebrity. She was wearing a very similar outfit and carrying the same bag. Guess she's found a look that works for her.

 

Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said ... (12:31 PM) : 

Oh the bag. *LOVE* I wonder if they deliver to Marrakesh?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

I would love to see what this woman's home looks like. I imagine a lot of contemporary furniture. I bet her bathroom is filled with skin & beauty care products! Pretty much- a dream home. And A LOT of shoes!

 

Blogger kkpjmk said ... (4:49 PM) : 

PLEASE, if someone knows where I can find this Issey Miyake bag, let me know!

I'm diying to have it >:(

Thanks!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting