This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

At Armani

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

At Armani

When redheads understand their coloring and how to accentuate it they can really look fantastic.

Some of my best shots on this trip has been of redheads.

Comments on "At Armani"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

But I think he doesn't understand his coloring (or doesn't care). To me he is somewhat washed out looking and very unpressed--to casual and messy to be making a statement.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Don't like the bare neck w/gold chain nor the knuckles that look like he just finished a fist fight. All around hard case looking--more jail than fashion show.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Oh wow, I love it...this may be the first time I've ever approved of a visible gold chain on a man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:26 PM) : 

Don't like the bare neck w/gold chain nor the knuckles that look like he just finished a fist fight. All around hard case looking--more jail than fashion show.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

I think he's beautiful...full stop.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Yummmmmmmy!!! Olive with a cherry on top.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Ooh, I'm a redhead with coloring similar to his, and I wouldn't get near this army green. And I don't think he should have gotten near it either. :) It's probably best left to soldiers anyhow, who I'm sure hate it.

The Goth fairy girl did much better. But it's hard to find good colors to wear if you're a redhead.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (2:12 PM) : 

I love his hair--the style is great. Also love the chain.

I like the green, but as a redhead with colouring very similar to his, I have to say that sometimes the "fall" colours really wash us out, although people assume that's our palette. We have the gold-auburn hair, but our skin tone can be cooler/pinkish and so sometimes needs to be balanced out with pure colours like periwinkles and aubergines or even jewel tones (shudder). But I still think this green is okay on him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 PM) : 

I have to disagree with the street tough remark. He seems like an aesthete to me, and there's nothing aggressive about him. He looks ready to take notes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

What's wrong with the chain? He looks slightly macho, yet put together, without falling off the chav cliff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 PM) : 

great picture. bling bling chains aside i think the colour of this man's hair is fantastic (not too carrotey) and is cut and styled in a very fitting way.
what do you mean "when red heads understand their colouring..."? i'm a brunette but i don't think i understand my colouring any better than anybody else ;)

i'm not a fashion spotter but i love those pictures which you take of interesting individuals in their "natural habitat".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

It seems difficult to look so smart wearing that kind of coat, but he´s really elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

It seems difficult to be smart with that kind of coat, i guess...but he´s really eleganT i love the colours!

 

Blogger Just an Observation said ... (2:47 PM) : 

I agree with yu SAR ....Redheads have their work cut out for them and if one can simply use the very color to make a statement, then definitely hats off to anyone that can achieve that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

My son has thick red hair like that. Sigh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

my friend has hair just like his and she uses metallic army green eyeshadow frequently. it looks fantastic on her, and on him it's just as lovely. the peek of maroon sweater is beautiful too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

OK, that man is just delicious. Gives even the painter a run for his money! Beautiful, beautiful hair. Like that he has gone with a maroon-y sweater. Also like whyioughtta's periwinhkle suggestion for red-heads. Love this guy's pants, too. Don't love the patch on the sleeve of his jacket. I bet his physique is just clothes-hanger perfect. >sigh< Bring him back to NYC, wouldya, Sart?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

as they say in italy: ma che bellisom!
i love redhair and this guy looks fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

i can imagine the sweet dreams you have after seeing so many beautiful people. this guy looks amazing! the green is such a perfect shade on him, it looks as if he has a tan..his skin and hair are illuminated. btw, is that a moncler parka he's wearing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

He looks ready for the battle of modern life and economics. Cool-ATWR

 

Blogger Hillary said ... (3:58 PM) : 

beautiful! I love to see redheads play up the fair skin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 PM) : 

I think he looks quite well. See, its not often seeing a male redhead pulling off his looks without looking funny or younger...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

ROJO;OLIVA Y ORO buena combinacion¡
nice,nice,very nice¡

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

I have to agree when you say the best pictures you took were from redheads. I just love the one you posted on style.com january 12th (purple accents) the long hair guy is just perfect...

This is my first time posting a comment since I discovered your blog a long time ago (after seeing your work in GQ), you have inspired me to create one and go out to the streets of my city hunting for some great styles. It's really fulfilling working with fashion and even more immortalizing it with a picture.
Keep up the good work, ciao!

Yavé Lobsang

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Army green on readheads = love. This man is too hot.

Is that a red and grey striped cardigan underneath?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

I concur on the appreciation for redheads who get their coloring. I noticed quite a few redheads in Dublin who did the same. (On a related note, I've never understood the British abhorrence of "ginger" hair - it's gorgeous.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

Excellent haircut, and I love the gold chain. Not sure about the piffy down jacket. Didn't puffy down jackets go out of style in, say, 1982? As a previous poster mentioned, yes, he looks ready to take notes, but in an aggressive manner.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

i love redheads, this guy looks great+

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

i completely disagree. he fully understands and he certainly tried but not too hard....and i am sorry but how could you not like a gold chain and raw knuckles?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 PM) : 

I really like these colors on him, and he's very handsome. Great hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

If I had red hair, I'd want to look something like him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

I dont really like this puffa jacket street look...he is very handsome though and I agree about redheads looking great in shades of green.
I think fuschia also looks hot on redheads and that would normally be a no-no...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

i am ambivalent on the coloring for this guy. it might be that he is just hot and the color works regardless. But, whether it works or not, his look caught my eye. my bf is a redhead and I can never figure out what to purchase in terms of color. i tried following guidelines for a Spring but it did not work. Any suggestions?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

I agree. I am always trying to get my red haired friend to consider green!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

Te gold chain doesn't seem big enough for the puffy green jacket. I like the maroon shirt mixed with the olive green.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

this color is ok on him, but i don't really wear this color on myself. (i think it is probably a better color for male redheads). i tend to stick with brighter greens, blues, purples, but a tealish turquoise is my signature color...really brings out the freckles - i have a scarf and its the perfect color!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 AM) : 

Cool hair and I like the coloring of the army green against his complexion.

Gold chain atleast matches his hair.

It's good to be red. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 AM) : 

He looks like a GI Joe doll from the 1970s.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 AM) : 

nice concrete.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 AM) : 

All the readheads that I know have a particularly and excellent style...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 AM) : 

Thanks for the great ideas.
I would like to see more pictures of cyclists. It is hard to know what to wear when you bike around town. And I am not talking about lycra atheltets but something less formal, like you might see in Amsterdam.
Cheers

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 AM) : 

He looks great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 AM) : 

I´m a readhead and always try to wear this colours, and always feels like I´m out of fashion, so I´m very happy too see that you don´t think it´s too bad...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 AM) : 

He looks goooooooooooooooooooood...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 AM) : 

It's interesting that the people who are redheads don't care so much for the combination.

I like it. It could also be the light. I can believe that in some circumstances that combination might wash you out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 AM) : 

Sigh...I wish my husband would grow his hair out like this. He's been doing the Brad Pitt in Oceans ## movie thing for so long and he has such lovely thick hair. It would be so nice like this for a change! I think he's fantastic.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:59 AM) : 

At last! Appreciation of red heads! I think he knows what he is doing - the hair is too well styled - messy, but styled. An earth-based colour palate always works well on red heads (and us offshoots!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

I just thought he looked hot. He should be in some kind of period movie, Shakespearean maybe.

He looks very sharp and creative. Like a writer or a designer. He could write me a poem any day!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

Another thing about people with fair, reddish skin:

Winter is a hard time for us! Our skin gets dry, and our knuckles and fingers crack and bleed. That's probably why he looks like he's been in a fistfight.

Poor guy just needs some lotion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

The gold chain around the neck must go and his hands need some lokking after-other than that he looks great-not washed out! The chain could be replaced by something in silver or a leather cord or a wooden bead with silver bead necklace type of thing. Love the green and burgundy combination on him. Green is always a favorite in a number of shades and this one is no exception. I wish army green looked this stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

That's a good look. I like Moncler apre ski wear the best, and this guy shows why. He reminds me of those votive candles with his hair, obviously, being the flame. Nice pic.

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (11:38 AM) : 

he's hot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

You know what other color really looks good on red-heads: french navy - that dark blue that is rich with purple undertones.
b/t/w love all those purples at Pitti. Am looking for the right purple thing for myself now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

A confession, I am the gentleman in the green puffa and this website was brought to my attention by a friend. I am greatly amused that people should feel compelled to comment. For a start, the picture is awful, secondly I was massively hungover and in no fit state to dress myself, so co-ordination seemed easiest. Thirdly, the knuckles were scuffed in self-defence. For those of you who were generous enough (not to mention a little mad) to say I looked gorgeous, I thank you. For those who care, I am mostly wearing blue today.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:28 PM) : 

I LUUUVVV the look, manly, like he doesn't give a fuck. Reminds me of Eric Stoltz! I hope he doesn't work in fashion, maybe he was just passing by?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

i'd say he's pretty gorgeous, myself. i think the green suits him. and i disagree with the anonymous poster who said it's hard for redheads to find flattering colors - i find that most colors really suit me, with the exception of certain neutrals such as sand, taupe, ecru, etc., which wash me out. greens, golds, violets, blues... all tend to flatter. then again, i'm a new yorker at heart and have trouble adventuring outside of my beloved black :)

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (5:07 PM) : 

Allan
What do you mean the picture is awful?

Why am i the only one that got screwed on this post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

Okay, okay fellow redheads. You're right: I wasn't precise. There are many flattering colors to wear, but also many unflattering ones. And there's often such a small difference between them. More so for many of us than for people with different coloring, or it seems that way. I once tried to figure it all out with a color wheel, but couldn't :)

And I agree in detail with many of the other redheads' observations on neutrals, midnight blues, earth tones etc....

This guy is very handsome and intelligent-looking no whether I think the green is perfect or not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:45 PM) : 

sorry, I never meant technically bad, just never like photos of myself. I'm happy it provoked such a response.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 PM) : 

As a redhead with very pale freckled skin with pink undertones, this color makes me look like a ghoul. This guy's face has enough color in it - and not too much ruddiness - to carry it off, and it makes his hair color stands out very nicely. I agree with other redheads, that the fall colors everyone wants to see us in can sometimes look drab and awful. Redheads have so much variation in their hair color and skin coloring that there are fewer hard-and-fast rules that can be applied because both factor into the equation.

Whether on purpose or not (is he a street tough with barroom-brawl knuckles or did he scrape his hands moving furniture around his mod apartment?), this guy got it right, for him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 PM) : 

When I first saw the photo I was just going to say "woo!" as in "is it hot in here or is it me..."

I think he is one of the hottest looking men you have posted; I wish I didn't now know he was hungover and had to slug somebody.

Oh well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

I'm the chickadee who wrote the olive w/ a cherry on top comment and now that I know his hand was bruised in "self-defence" (his words), I am swooning..... Allan, I think love you! By the way, thanks for the update on your color choice of the day-- I can only imagine, and weep.

By the way, Sart-- your picture was perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 AM) : 

First redheadded man I have thought looked hot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 AM) : 

who is that handsome man..?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 AM) : 

In a word: Yum.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:29 PM) : 

"When redheads understand their coloring...they can really look fantastic." ???

I think you have some great observations about fashion, but this seems really patronizing. There are so many natural shades of red (I have always had one of them)--not to mention accompanying skin tones. It's not always easy to find truly flattering shades, particularly when seasonal color palettes shift so often. As for this gentleman, I don't think this particular shade of green suits him at all. Very drab and washed-out. He'd be better off with a really rich, warm brown in the mix, if he wants to wear this color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Well, Allan, if you look like that when you wake up hungover, you won't ever catch me kicking you out of bed. Get on over to NYC!

And Scott, the pic is great - the concrete wall with studs (double entendre intended) is an excellent backdrop to the color, both of Allan and of Oswald Boateng.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I would never let Allan leave the house in such a state! But only so I could keep LOOKING at him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I am flattered by the attention, almost bashful, in fact. FYI, I live now in NY.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

To each his own . . . .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Sart, maybe Allan could find a sweetie because of your blog! (If he doesn't have one already)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

You might be able to pull off a shiny green Michelin-man coat on the slopes but keep it off the streets!
J

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

I can vouch that Allan indeed looks hungover and his knuckles are not normally in that condition - his feet are a different story - its amazing that this picture has drawn so many comments and I am wondering if allan should take up modelling???

His obvious style shines through and as for his hair - who cares what colour it is I think he looks fab and yes underneath that puffa jacket lies a coat hanging body.

Hope to see more of him in the future mmmm

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

i love a ginger winkler like this one he's quite a brute looks like he'd try to beat you up if you were a policeman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Magnificent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 AM) : 

this was not deliberate. just random.

 

Blogger 'signorina' said ... (9:01 PM) : 

We redheads always seem to be controversial.

What's interesting is that everyone acknowledges the "limited palette" of a redhead - but how many people can wear canary yellow? Bright pink? Teal? Redheads just seem to be allotted a very narrow, socially-accepted palette: khaki, navy blue, brown, green, black.

That acceptable palette becomes very boring, very quickly: I dressed in all-black for years, to avoid comments on the "redhead colours" I was wearing. In the end, I worked out that wearing all-black simply highlighted my hair itself - so I got more comments on my hair colour than ever (and I've always hated those comments).

I've just about resigned myself to the fact that the statistical rarity of redheadedness in most parts of the world (Scotland and Germany aside) means people will always comment on it. It can never pass unnoticed.

I highly recommend Marion Roach's "Roots of Desire: The Myth, Meaning and Sexual Power of Red Hair" - she goes into a lot of the issues behind it all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 PM) : 

Christ, people. If you must bitch, learn some grammar, huh? Case in point, used as an adjective, it's "hard-case looking." And speaking of redundancy, let's forget the war in Iraq and global warming, bloody knuckles at Armani...? *The horror!* Seriously, am I the only one here who's amused by the outrage this most controversial redhead has caused by going to fisticuffs instead of mani/ped?

Now, a little surly, perhaps--a smile would've been nice to see, but otherwise, he looks downright edible. Maybe even down-right edible. Then again, "raw" suits me just fine.

Come on--78 comments in less than a week?--don't tell me he's not alluring. By the way, Anonymous, before repeating your posts a third time, here's a style tip for you: get yourself a stiff drink, a f'ing sense of humor, and a dictionary--in no particular order.

Cheers,
CJ, NYC

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:30 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

As a readhead I strongly feel that green is vital - a colour to wear every day in fact. But emerald, not military green, surely?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 AM) : 

never annoy a ginger!

 

Blogger adriaan said ... (12:11 PM) : 

great but very much expected for a red head to wear this green. I can say so as I am one as well.
I would vote to go a bit against the expected and add some scarlet red, yellow or teal blue

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

Do we see a love connection between jkrnyc and Allan????????

 

Blogger Parisjasmal said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Redheads rule!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 PM) : 

I am Japanise, and he look's a SF movie star!! Adorable...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:19 PM) : 

This guy would look gorgeous in any color...chain, no chain; clothes, no clothes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:14 PM) : 

OMG...is he single?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

Four months later and this guy still makes me weak in the knees...

Sigh.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting