This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Puffer Vest Over Suit

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Puffer Vest Over Suit

I see the puffer vest- over-suit a lot in Milan but it seems like a style that would look just as good in Denver or Seattle.

Comments on "Puffer Vest Over Suit"

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (7:23 PM) : 

I'm surprised I haven't seen it here in the Great Northwest.

I suspect it's coming.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (7:35 PM) : 

Hmmmm. Not my thing, especially given the jacket's length.

But there IS something appealing about an upholstered look in winter, if the relieved by quilting, in whatever form, as here...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

I don't like it at all; the vest is way too sporty and just sloppy, compared to the suit. Sometimes fancy+sloppy works... not this time though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

Nice picture. The reflections in the window are good.

I think the puffer over the suit is OK for a run down the street for a Starbucks...

If I were having lunch with a client or my boss I think I'd wear my regular overcoat.

I might go for it with an unmatched sports jacket and pants since the whole thing would be more casual.

 

Blogger Thomas Irvin said ... (8:16 PM) : 

Just as good?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

Hmmm...I'm always open to a new look, but I'm not sure I like the elegance of a suit with the casual feel of a puffer vest.

 

Blogger mist1 said ... (9:13 PM) : 

I am over the whole puffy thing. Of course, I live in the South where we really only need serious outer wear a few days a year.

 

Blogger DK said ... (11:23 PM) : 

Ok, as long as you shed the vest as soon as you hit the door? Your desk?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 PM) : 

I actually kinda like it. Perhaps best left to younger men, but I think it works in an odd way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 AM) : 

This is because in Milano lots of gentlemen go around with their Vespas: a coat would be uncorfotable and the wind is pretty freezing there! Another variation is a thin duvet vest UNDER the jacket.
And in Milano we do not go to Starbucks, pleaaase!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 AM) : 

iprefer a nice overcoat over suits, it looks so much better. Parkas are nice over sporty jackets over pants, say a nice metallic gray parka over a houndstooth or tweed light grey jacket and black pants...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

Looks as if he kid dressed him. Can't imagine what the front looks like.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Still trying to find something good to say about this look. Perhaps a bit more holiday cheer in a champagne flute will help. But it's unlikely.

 

Blogger Butel 2 said ... (9:57 AM) : 

I live near milan, this kind of puffer is dressed by the man just in case of

1)cold!but not so much for the coat!
2)moving by scooter (best way to move in milan). It's very comfortable.

However is not cool in Italy wearing this kind of puffer. It's just for comfort. Even if it could remind the age of "paninari" Do you remember them?

 

Blogger Carlene said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Looks good, but has to be a nice, lengthy, well-made vest. In a subdued color with no logo action on it. Over a really beautifully tailored suit or jacket. I really don't want to see a grubby red puffer with a big logo over a too-long suit jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

What about New Yawk?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

i would rather the see the puffy vest under the suit jacket.

if the gentleman has the correct size, the puffy vest can fit close like a sweater vest.

a more appropriate sweater would make for a better look, of course, though i do not know of a wool that is as warm as a goose down-insulated puffy vest.

 

Blogger Dovid said ... (2:50 PM) : 

I don't like the look. Some experiments just fail...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 PM) : 

I live in Mlps/St. Paul. Never saw this pic until tonight but I HAD to wear my vest today over my suit. My little boy made me otherwise he wouldn't put on his "fuffy" coat(he's pretty convincing for a 2 yr old). I got some looks at the daycare when I was dropping him off. I didn't think it would fly in the office so I took it off. I had a grey suit on. It's not really not my style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 PM) : 

I think you're allowed to wear a puffy vest over a suit if, as here, you're also rocking a pair of John Lobb shoes. (Note the very distinctive rubber toplift used on the heel.)

 

Blogger Zaydoun said ... (3:51 AM) : 

It works

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 AM) : 

I live in Milano & it's not a look I can say I've witnessed that often. Thankfully North face hasn't quite made it here, unlike the U.S!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 AM) : 

No. No, no, no. I don't mind the sportiness of the vest over the suit as much as the fact that the vest is too short and makes the entire ensemble look sloppy. If you're going to do this, the details (length, cut, weight of puffer) has to be perfect. Which this is not. Looks like an afterthought.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

It is possible, and sometimes necessary for foul weather, to wear rugged outerwear over a suit; but for my money this is not the way. On snowy or wet cold days when a suit is necessary, I have a goretex-treated black parka with detachable hood that is good all the way to arctic temperatures. But because the warmth comes from a “miracle” synthetic fiber that does not need bulk to be effective and because the waist can be cinched in to mirror the shape of the suit jacket underneath and, finally, because it is a few inches longer than a suit jacket, there is balance to the look. Add a pair of high rubber overboots and I can deal effectively with the sloppiest winter weather and still be properly dressed for court or other business in a minute or less. I just don’t see the need ever to appear as unkempt as the short, puffy vest over suit jacket look. Indeed, for the added warmth that this kind of vest provides, one can have a truly sophisticated look that I first saw in Italy several years ago--the kind of quilted, thigh-length jacket with corduroy or leather collar that you’ve featured previously. Sermon over.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

I don't think that trend will pick up over here, especially if they are doing it for practicality, and it just happened to become a trend. I did visit Italy about 3 years ago and did notice a trend of women wearing bulky men's watches (stainless steal). I thought might become big over here but it never did.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

what i love about the sart pics is that it can catch people's quirky taste and great fashion choices. but what scares me about sites like sarts is the chance of being a "don't"! you can't leave the house perfectly put together every day & there has been more than one occasion when i've had to rush out the door to take my kid to school with something hideous on, hoping that no one will see me and think that's what i look like every day. so my point, i think, is that maybe this guy forgot his overcoat that day and borrowed a co-workers puffer because it was really cold out or something, and all of us debating his style choice would be quite funny to him. hopefully he'll read this and weigh in.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 PM) : 

no way okay on a scooter , but in new york ?? the dane /

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 PM) : 

I don't like this look at all. It seems completely unnessecary, being warm doesn't mean dressing down.
Not that dressing down is bad, but it just feels really out of place here.

yeah, I don't like it much as a trend, if it was a one-off thing then that's ok.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 AM) : 

I always see people in down vests in Seattle, but never over a suit.

You should come to the Pacific Northwest and take pictures. I have lived in Seattle my whole life, and for the most part I still see it as a fashionless city.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting