This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.....New York Original, Union Square

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, December 30, 2006

On The Street.....New York Original, Union Square

Fashion Writer and Woman-About-Town.... Lynn Yaeger

Comments on "On The Street.....New York Original, Union Square"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 PM) : 

well, if Mrs. Havisham is her inspiration, then I'd say she nailed it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 AM) : 

I have seen Lynne in countless magazines and have NEVER appreciated the costume-y look of her outfits. The only compliment I have is she has certainly cultivated a unique presentation of herself to the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 AM) : 

both yes and no....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 AM) : 

She looks gaudy. The rouge against pale skin, the plastered down hair, the big coat leading to small shoes makes her look much bigger than she is; Original yes, but a great example of using clothes to hinder rather than help.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 AM) : 

She is my reason for wanting to be a fashion writer!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:16 AM) : 

The ensemble works, but the hair? The makeup? Oh no.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 AM) : 

Love the bag...

...hate everything else.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 AM) : 

She reminds me of Isabella Blow a bit. Her hair is the best part of her look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 AM) : 

this woman is fearless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 AM) : 

From the ankles up, she looks so French to me. From the ankles down, I see broadway and jazz dance class. I love that she gives this French look her own youthful American twist. I am so tired of everyone bashing Americana. As an expat, I can say with complete confidence the entire European community looks to us in every respect for inspiration. But they will never admit it. It is time for us to have more confidence in our great style and individualism and to stop tinkling in our own stream by bashing ourselves publicly. It is merely a sign of insecurity; not of failure. This picture makes me miss America.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 AM) : 

She looks like she's come from work or someplace like that.

Do you think she wears other shoes inside? I like those shoes because they look walkable.

Down in the backwater of DC we have a fashion editor who pointed out that the women in the business weren't wearing footless tights, it was all the young runway models. Perhaps she confirmed our backwater status?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 AM) : 

I think she has a wonderful sense of eccentricity about her that, though it doesn't show in her expression, is put forward through her clothes. The fashion world, from what I've seen, is all about eccentricities. Furthermore, I think that her outfit is put together wonderfully. It may not be the most flattering of selections, but the style and her own uniqueness make it work.

I disagree most ardently with the suggestion that the whole European community looks to America for inspiration. Europe has long been the centre of fashion and the vast array of European designers proves this. I am not, however, suggesting that America is behind us in the fashion world, only that the country might not have such an influence as it's thought to have.

 

Blogger Three Repute said ... (8:13 AM) : 

i adore everything but the leggings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 AM) : 

A breathe of fresh air!
She has brought a smile to my lips.
A woman of age with her own
personal sense of style.
A Reasurrance that we live in a society
that is tolerant and accepting of
the Different and the ECCENTRIC
Well in Fashion at least!
Viva La Difference!
Viva La Lynne!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Sandman_gr you're right, Yeager has listed Isabella Blow and Miuccia Prada as her style inspirations.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (8:50 AM) : 

This poses a question about eccentricity in self-presentation: when does it work and when is discordant--about trying, trying, trying.

Here, I'd say the latter, though on a better day, I'm sure Ms. Yaeger would be a sight for sore eyes. What we hunger to see is the wonderfully idyosyncratic, no? That's a major pleasure of big-city life.

And a happy New Year to all! Peace and love in '07--not to mention properly visible shirt cuffs...

 

Blogger Alison Santighian said ... (8:52 AM) : 

It's all hers. And as anonymous 6:35 am says, "It is time for us to have more confidence in our great style and individualism and to stop tinkling in our own stream by bashing ourselves publicly."

RoseAG - read that carefully - DC is not a backwater of fashion...just browse the fashion blogs of our city, and you'll see that there are plenty of men & women interested in doing just that, having confidence in our own style & individualism. It's what fashion and style are all about.

 

Blogger blackbird said ... (8:59 AM) : 

You lucky dog -
you spot the best people, and now you've gotten an icon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Close your eyes guys ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

well her look in its self is not my cup of tea, but i do respect her distinctive point of view.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

I agree with anonymous 6:35 that the inspiration looks French on the top.
She's a very interesting mix of comfort and speed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Why is the hem raw? Ruins and otherwise lovely dress. I also dislike the red and blue scarf with the outfit. I think the footless tights can be worn by adults if there are dark or bright colored tights underneath them, not bare legs or pantyhose like she has. I kind of like the theatrical make-up. (But wouldn't wear it!) The hair I think would be better if it was softer, not plastered to her head like that. This is one of my all time favorite hair cuts! But this lady illustrates how much fun you can have with fashion no matter what age, and how you can become MORE daring with fashion as you get older. That's what I like about this whole look. Even though I don't like all the elements, I love her attitude!

 

Blogger www.jennyhyun.tv said ... (10:24 AM) : 

She looks a bit koo-koo, but even that has a place in fashion because what artist doesn't have their idiosyncrasies? As long as the person who's wearing it is appreciating it, that's all that really matters.

As for me, I think I'll pass. ;o)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM) : 

This reminds me of an article in the Times style section a couple years ago featuring the Olsen twins and their "Bag Lady Chic" style, i.e pricey pieces worn in a mismatched, nonchalant way. I think it suited them better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

Fashionfanatic60 said...

I heart Lynne Yaeger. One of the best fashion writers out there, hands-down, and she has always always marched to the beat of her own drummer, sartorially speaking, which I think takes a lot of guts. No, she doesn't look conventional. But there are plenty of other people who do, so I find her commitment to her "look" wholly inspiring as a result.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Well, this time the scarf didnt help.

Should I ever come to NY and happen to get snapped by you, please post my picture along side of hers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I have seen this woman around town for twenty years, always with this basic look. At first I did think it too costume-y, but now she is an icon. I hope she never changes!

You don't have to want to look like her to appreciate her and enjoy seeing her around. People like her are what make this city still fun.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

when i first saw this picture i thought, 'oh my god, she is frightening.' but then i looked at each individual piece and the detailing and concluded that she actually looks fantastic. all of the elements work together so brilliantly. it's so her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Hey guys, Sarto is great, but you don't have to like every shot.
I mean, by searching carefully you can find something good in everything, but you can also safely say that you don't like the overall effect

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 PM) : 

SELF as a work of art.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 PM) : 

I do adore her style and her ferocious fashion courage & individualism, but I feel that she's become a prisoner of that makeup. It also makes it too easy to dismiss her as an eccentric, instead of a truly creative mind and force to be reckoned with. It's time to retire the Clara Bow lips & the doll-baby rouge, Lynne. Let your own beauty shine!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 PM) : 

love her - Lynne is great, just like Anna Piaggi, Isabella Blow, and others who follow their own style. As always, the accessories hold it all together - the Fendi bag and scarf. would like to see a bit more entertaining shoe than capezio dance flat thing, but good for walking i'm sure...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 AM) : 

I had never heard of this lady, obviously she is something of a legend and from the knees up she looks a legend, even with the startling hair and makeup colours...I love the fur the diamantes the bag etc...but from the knees down oh the ratty hem, bare ankles black runners no no no. Comes close to ruining the whole look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 AM) : 

What I love about her look is that it elicits such strong reactions from all of us...love it or hate it her style is provocative and bold

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Very ANIMATED...but still love her own sense of individuality and style...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I love her look, she's very Artful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

While I cannot agree with her choices, I will defend her right to wear what she wishes! A sight for sore eyes? I don't think so - more the reverse . . . a sore . . . oh dear, we are so backward in the south!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

i don't think she could be more fantastic. a mind of one's own is most stylish...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:44 PM) : 

she's got balls

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Lynne wrote a wonderful article about two years ago for the New York Times Magazine about personal style and fashion. She stated that one should hone an individual style, therefore one would never be out of fashion. I think she has great style. In the article she also said that she went to her hairdresser and instructed her to "make me look like the world's oldest french orphan." To me she's an inspiration. I think she's divine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 AM) : 

She looks like she just stepped out of a Dickens novel. Like a caricature of herself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

She's definitely doing the time warp again - or maybe still doing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 PM) : 

I'm coming from my man's point of view, but if I were a woman I don't believe I would entrust my fashion sensibilities, and reading of such, to someone so presented to the world.

Very mixed reviews here, I see. I'm happy for her that some people are appreciative.

To my eye, this is strange...shades of Goth, no?

Uniqueness can come from the strange exterior, but personally I prefer that we bring out the beauty within as much as possible and let tasteful exterior choices enhance that, instead of the false suggestion that it's enough that a strange look will define us and draw attention to us, with beauty set aside.

- JCH

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 AM) : 

I guess this is what it means when they said, "If you can't beat them, join them!"

I find that, in fashion, the less attractive ones tend to go the freak route to compete for attention. Cases in point: the late Carrie Donovan with her Magoo glasses; Diana Vreeland in kabuki make-up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 AM) : 

Lynn Yaeger is an original, like Anna Piaggi and Isabel Blow; there is always a photo or two of her at the fashion shows and it is fun to see what she has put together. These women do not "follow" fashion; they establish their own. They also demonstrate that true style is not about conventional notions of beauty.

To put things in perspective:

If the comment I saw on another photo of her is correct, that happens to be a sable coat she is wearing. And I wish I could see more of the scarf; it looks beautiful. The soft flat shoes are very stylish, especially with the leggings. As to the edge of her skirt, the designers used lots of artfully frayed edges during the last year or so -- that not only isn't a "bag lady" dress, it probably has a fairly impressive label inside.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 AM) : 

Love everything except for the fur coat and that's because I'm a vegan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 PM) : 

to anon 3:52am

"I find that, in fashion, the less attractive ones tend to go the freak route to compete for attention. Cases in point: the late Carrie Donovan with her Magoo glasses; Diana Vreeland in kabuki make-up."

The women you mentioned, inculding Lynne Yaeger, don't have to compete with anyone for attention. These women are icons, and using the terms 'unattractive' and 'freak' to describe them is really innappropriate, not to mention rude. In French, there is a term for the kind of beauty that isn't pretty - 'jolie-laide'. These women were, and are, that. They are all also 'of a certain age', and they challenge existing stereotypes about what an older woman should be and look like. I certainly hope you aren't a woman, or if you are that you know how not to age. But, if you are a woman and you happen to age, then I hope you like dressing in a way that calls no attention to yourself, that shows no exhuberance or wit, lest someone thinks you unattractive or freakish.

Or better still, don't worry about the rubes - be chic and fearless until your last breath.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

I saw her walking on lower Fifth Avenue one day. And as soon as you see her, you instantly think, "I know she is famous, i just know it". I had seen her on Style or someplace before hand, but she has a really... regal air about her. I'd love to meet her.

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (8:35 PM) : 

You know, I looked at this for a while before I figured out why it just worked for me, as crazy as it is. Look at that scarf, and the way it ties her hair and makeup in with the rest of the outfit. And the texture there complements the fur and the black dress wonderfully. The temperature of the colors just works so well. Well played.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

I wonder whether she cuts her own hair? The jagged bangs echo the frayed hemline. The overall look would work better without the rouge spots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

She reminds me of Isabella Blow too. Isabella shops at a bakery I used to work at, in London, and she was a highpoint of the day when she came in for lunch. She was really fun, and you could smell her custom-made perfume before she even came into the shop.

Her outfits were really costume-y too, but it was always somehow beautiful, and it made the day more magical. I think Ms. Yaeger looks like someone I'd want to have a conversation with. And I think you can tell that she's thin, even though the jacket is so poufy.

I don't think she's going for "sexy" with this combination, but who cares. She's definitely being original. And I love her hair and makeup.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

when I get older I hope that I can look like her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

I love a true eccentric!

 

Anonymous Ljerka-Susanna-Lukic said ... (7:06 PM) : 

ICONIC!!!
Susan,Designer&Writer
Toronto

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting