This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street......American Classic, Chelsea

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, December 03, 2006

On The Street......American Classic, Chelsea

This young man's look is probably the closest to what i would call true "American Style" of all the shots I have posted so far.

Comments on "On The Street......American Classic, Chelsea"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

i really like this photograph, and i agree, his style is truly american but he wears it very well

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

Way to american for me.

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (11:38 PM) : 

A classic look, on which Ralph Lauren has based his career. I wonder if a shorter jacket and no cuffs on his pants would make his legs look longer?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

really? an american in connecticut, maybe. i sure do hope you're wrong about this. it seems to me that you post pictures every day of individuals who reflect american style, although i certainly recognize him as being one example of it. when i think of someone who embodies american style, the first image that pops into my head is of bill blass, followed immediately by andy warhol, which is to say that american style is rich and varied, if not particularly deep. what about your shot of lauren hutton?

 

Blogger marie said ... (1:14 AM) : 

Are there three or four pockets on the coat?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 AM) : 

true Sart, with the one notable exception of the ticket pocket, which is decidedly not american trad and much more british...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 AM) : 

Now that's what I call a gentleman.

-AT

 

Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said ... (2:49 AM) : 

I have just found your blog. And I am glad I have. Your way of capturing details in everyday wear, are fantastic.
Double scarves tied,
Mens loose ties,
colorful handbags,
skinny legs in leggings
The woman is faux fur and toeless shoes.
Such a beautiful world you show us of the daily stret wear!
Bravo!

 

Blogger Butch said ... (7:46 AM) : 

Well, this seems to me American in the sense that our dresssier menswear has always aspired to Brit bespoke elegance...though the khakis and loafers (or at least their look) are of course "homemade."

Anyway, his look, despite a tightish jacket, is very pleasing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 AM) : 

very "old" american style - 50s or 60s. The current one is more like other photos you posted before.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

know what you mean, but really the guy in the green shoes is as much "American style" as this.

Pretty nice over all, but the jacket would look 100% better unbuttoned.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:39 AM) : 

I guess I should have phrased it "Traditional American Style"

 

Blogger Just an Observation said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Would have to agree with The Sar, the color palette and pattern is truely american.
again and again I can't help myself...one of the first things I notice on someone's style is when the individual wears the clothes as comfortably as their own skin ...the rest is not so important. This helps me often understand when I see people wearing what I think is absolutely cazy looking clothing, but the wearer carries it off smoothly....I can't object to myslef anymore.
THANKS AS ALWAYS!!

 

Blogger hoi polloi said ... (10:08 AM) : 

nice colors, but the jacket is a little tight in the waist, heh heh

 

Blogger DK said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Sart, American Classic is a sufficient title. The word classic can embody more than one style of dress. America is a huge mass of land with many different cultures and just as many thoughts and ideas. What if you shot a youngster sporting oversized Dickies pants, vintage Jordan kicks, a Polo shirt, and a Triple Fat Goose jacket? That would be American Classic "Hip-Hop" style (yes, Hip-Hop is the culture, Rap is the music).

Stay the course, Sart. Everyone else, please broaden your thought processes.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:43 AM) : 

I just love his glasses!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

Let's not go claiming this in the name of ALL America!

He looks east coast/academic to me.

It's not a bad look but would you see it in California?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

Mostly American (Oxford Cloth Button Down, khaki's, no shirt sleeve showing) with some British influences (ticket pocket). Overall, very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

Scott, I think "Traditional American style" is a bit misleading as it has a connotation of an ethnic uniform like the european countries have, which does not apply to this case. Tradition is something that is passed on from generation to generation and has a specific meaning and place for a certain group. While some of the above may apply to this, not all does. "Mid 20th Century American Style" sounds better IMHO.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

looks great, jacket seems like an italian take on american/british, though. rather fitted, in a good way, for a true american cut.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM) : 

From the waist up, I really love this look. I cannot say enough about the yellow vest or sweater. I would much prefer to see him in olive flannel trousers and caramel shoes, but anyhow ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

I love this; he knows who is he.

 

Blogger Max said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Classic American style for men is generally taken to mean the ivy league/brooks brothers/j. press look.

It's explicitly different from British style in that it's less of a polished business look and more of a rumpled sportswear look (sport coats, polo shirts, tennis sweaters, khakis, etc). Taken on those terms, this outfit is pretty much perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

Overall looks ok but jacket too tight, something that comes to us all, and he looks as if he slept in the pants, something that looks good on 25 year old but not a 60 year old. He should have the jacket adjusted as wearing clothes that are too tight just emphasizes that spread. This is a tendency among Brits too I find. Ask yourself the question how good would he look in Milan.

 

Blogger High Power Rocketry said ... (4:46 PM) : 

: )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

Scott - you old fox - I am back and you're forgiven! I love this... it's bang on the mark... I call it 'Joseph P. Kennedy Makes a Comeback' look. Superb. Timesless. And as American as Levis, Hot Dogs and Coney Island. Great choice of young fella....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:54 PM) : 

I agree that it's old-school American. And a style of academic origin -- he was once prep/collegiate. Reminds me of my dad.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (8:56 PM) : 

So when I first read this post, I thought - that must be a typo. Then I thought, Scott is being funny. Then that perhaps the modifier referred to the "style" and not the man himself. But since no one seems to have mentioned it in the comments, I have to ask:

"YOUNG man's style"?

 

Blogger JJ Lee said ... (9:46 PM) : 

I think the guy is working the grey fox look in a kinder, gentler Donald Rumsfeld way, somewhat. What I think is superior about this look is how it brings colour (blue yellow burgundy and the buffs and russets) into the American clothing idiom. Without the Prep/Trad, real sartorial traditions would be lost to the vagaries of streetwear and fashion. It's as authentically American as cowboy wear in the way jazz or blues is American.

And it's influential. Did not Pete Townsend wear button downs with his Union Jack blazer? You bet.

One thing I notice is the cuff or roll in his pants and the horizontal stress line at button. He may be getting older and shrinking but his girth continues to expand. I'm sure that's where I am headed.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:51 PM) : 

for Thomas
I was being a little funny

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 PM) : 

To answer RoseAG's query,

Yes, you'd find this look in California. We only wear flip-flops and board shorts on days with the letter "R" in them. . .

 

Blogger FeFe said ... (3:01 AM) : 

I agree with "just an observation"...this is an example of everything working together and creating a natural look for the wearer...a second skin. Even though that button tugs he looks quite comfortable in his style. I love the red stripe tie, blue shirt & yellow V-neck sweater combo. And absolutely love the spectacles. I also agree that it has Classic American written all over it. A modern day F. Scott Fitzgerald, if you will. Quite nice. It would be interesting to see if his style has morphed at all within the past 30 years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 AM) : 

I agree with Max. It's all about the sportswear and the phrase "American Classic." The phrase represents a golden age in American history. When one hears the phrase Americana, the most common association is to folk art, folk music, etc.

I adore this guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

LIKE: The words "patriarch" come to mind when I look at this image. He reminds me of Joe Kennedy. The look is beautiful and timeless.

DISLIKE: None.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 AM) : 

Hair Style is Perfect!
I bet he was gorgeous when he was Young....and he was very hot!

I love to introduce to my Mom!!! if he is single!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting