This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street...60th Street, Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, December 14, 2006

On The Street...60th Street, Manhattan

Comments on "On The Street...60th Street, Manhattan"

 

Blogger Regina said ... (9:20 AM) : 

I just loved the colours and the scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

Nice proportions!

The big scarf looks good with the simple lined coat.

She is not a skinny-mini, and can do the big scarf without looking buried.

The colors are good her with complexion as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

TO HELGA and LIT comments: That seems very simple to assume this woman, going about her day is not happy...do you know her?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Maybe she's just concentrating on navigating the bumpy pavement. Great look, especially the scarf!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

How come she is not paying attention to the traffic? :(

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Obviously deep in thought...and accessorised with a lovely scarf.

 

Blogger Susan said ... (2:07 PM) : 

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the shawl/scarf/wrap with the pompoms. without it, her outfit would be so dull. completed the look perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

The scarf is amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

ah, well you've finally managed to take a picture of something i really don't like. i think that she looks matronly and top-heavy with that large, busy scarf. both the shape and the color of the coat are unflattering and only add to the matronly effect, and the tight little bun doesn't help either. this woman could be (or rather, already is) very attractive but she's doing just about everything wrong here -- she quite literally looks as if she has the weight of the world on her shoulders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

fabulous scarf! does anyone know where i can find one for myself?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:53 PM) : 

a beautiful picture! the shadows, the composition, the expression and the colors...just beautiful
Is it a sunny christmans in N.Y??;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

Hmm, the pom-poms on the scarf definitely give it some interest, but having grown up in California in the 70's I can't help but have unbidden mental images of a low rider's decked out car whenever I see them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 PM) : 

best scarf ever! and why is it when a woman isn't all cheesin she looks "unhappy"? or if someone is lost in thought people ask, "what's wrong?"
arghghgh, most annoying thing...!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 PM) : 

I think the color for her is good, unfortunately the cut of the coat just doesn't work well for her and the scarf just tops off the tragedy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 AM) : 

i agree with same dame. not loving these proportions either. sometimes i wonder if your fans are just agreeing with you or if they would actually pick the same people you choose to photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 AM) : 

Great photo! I love the way the light is coming from behind, but you still get enough light on her from the front, so we can see her ... very well done.

but I rather agree with Poss. the Same Dame about the scarf ... not really my cup of tea.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 AM) : 

that scarf is unreal... i must have it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 AM) : 

A sad angel....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

Is that a clear plastic briefcase/ bag in her left hand?

If so, how post modern!

It looks like matt lucite.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

The scarf is a nice touch, but overall I find this look to be completely unexceptional - even a bit frumpy. And why was she wearing a wool coat, scarf and gloves when it was nearly 60 degrees in NY that day? Seems odd.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 AM) : 

The scarf looks similar to a sweater I bought at Anthropologie last season (same color, same bobble edging), so I'm not sure, but you might be able to find it there.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:24 AM) : 

it was not 60 degrees the day I took this photo

For anon 12:16
I think the people that really get a lot from this blog look at the photos in a more abstract way and don't judge the whole look as a yes or no but for the little details. For me this shot was less about the specific coat but more about the scarf combined with that color of coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

I think that is my friend Kat from Brooklyn! Smile baby.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Smart picture. I like the way her hair and the ground catch the light. And I like the opulence of the scarf against her complexion. It's easy to take solace in those creamy tones amidst all the bright, cool colours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

I don't think that anyone's saying that, if you're not sporting a face-splitting smile you're a big grump. But I must admit that my first thought when I saw this photo (aside from "great scarf") was, "This woman looks weary. Like someone heading towards responsibilities she'd rather run away from."

And I recognized that look because it's the one I have on MY face most of the time...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 PM) : 

honestly, sart, it is a bit difficult to isolate the details when the individuals in your pictures are often so vivid and striking.

i get the most from this blog by observing the choices that your subjects make for themselves, by assessing their personal style and then deciding whether or not i like the way the specific pieces work together and if i think that they enhance or detract from the appeal of the individual wearing them. i can't imagine fully appreciating the charm of beppe's safety-pin without also factoring beppe himself into the equation.

in this instance, to simply focus on the scarf and how it looks with the color of the coat would be no more enlightening than to view it in a store display, which is entirely different than how i experience your photos, and considerably less rewarding.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

Call me grumpy, but I think people need to think that mostly these photos are taken of a stranger on the street, and for the purpose of showing style ie largely what someone is wearing. I fear if the judgemental comments made about someone's demeanour continue, people will refuse to be photographed.

Remember, a photo is just a snapshot in time, missing context.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 PM) : 

Fashionfanatic60 said...

I completely agree. All this commentary about the person's expression when they are clearly lost in thought or simply choose not to smile for the camera (and, hel-lo, no everyone loves their teeth/smile), seems a bit beside the point in a site devoted to sartorial style and yes, a bit mean-spirited. Plus, who among us walks the streets of NYC, where the majority of these photos are taken, with a big grin plastered on our faces?

To paraphrase Bill Clinton: It's the Style, Stupid!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

Not grumpy: wistful, pensive, lost in some interior drams. She could be a tragic heroine from a pre-raphaelite painting. I'm in favor of at least some photos sans the "face-splitting" smile as put (so well!) in another post. The outfit doesn't rock my reality, but I, for one, like the look on her face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 AM) : 

In general I think the comments here tend towards judgments about the person's overall attractiveness far more than just their style. As soon as a woman who is not young, thin, and/or "hot" is posted, everyone is particularly critical and uninterested. Quite the comment on society at large.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 AM) : 

Ok the coat could be more fitted, and she certainly seems to be deep in thought about something but overall the picture is... I don't know why.. beautiful.The colour of the hair matches the coat and the the pom poms add that frivolous touch.
She's beautiful without trying.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

uh, ... back to the outfit... :D the more I look at this photo the more I am wondering what she has on under that coat, and by looking at the legwear, I am guessing it is a tight dark dress...maybe a navy sweater/knit dress. And I bet if we were there when she takes her hair down at night we would see a woman who is now in a way hidden behind that coat. The pom poms, they reveal a part of her personality that transcend the conservatism of the rest of her outfit, particularly the hair do. Yes, indeed, I think we have a secret live wire here. This is a woman I imagine who has to make it in the world (and that can be a little dreary, admit it c'mon!) but she plays the game and she plays it well. I wager she has a job with a lot of responsibility. One where she is responsible for a lot of money. There is SO much in the details here. This is a complex woman and a very intelligent one. I think she's managed to throw us all off!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

she may be a sex kitten under that ensemble. the tights and the shoes don't say matronly to me. its hard to tell her build. she may be busty. sometimes i like to be able to put on a topper and walk around 'unseen'. i'm 5'10 and slender and that can be a bit of a challenge. esp in heels. well it's impossible in heels. i see balance in this outfit. she can take it off and be sexy and feminine. put it on and be stylish, but have a little personal space (inhabit the new york where cabbies arent honking at you and rndom guys on the street aren't making rude remarks).

OH YEAH AND BET SHE'S WARM. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 AM) : 

AMEN, 5:02! I am a little busty and definitely voluptuous (everyone told me I looked like Mae West in my wedding dress), and I often hear I have a J.Lo butt, and while I love looking sexy for my husband, I don't necessarily need to be gaped at by strange men all the day through. So I like to keep some versatility to my outfit where I can cover up when I need to and be invisible, and then later shine for my husband when I want to and also make him proud. I don't want a lot of strange flies all over my honey! Especially when I am trying to accomplish something.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting