This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Fashion Week Shopping Has Begun

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Fashion Week Shopping Has Begun

I did that APC jeans post yesterday because I have started shopping for January fashion week/months and it reminded me that I should do a follow-up on those jeans.

That was great and really funny.

One thing I learned ,the hard way, last time was that I needed a shoe between a true dress shoe (like the Lidforts I bought) and my Jack Purcells.

I'm standing and shooting most of the day but I'm not a big fan of rubber-soled dress shoes. I think (hope) that these Tods will be the answer. They look great and should be more sturdy that the gum-soled boots I have had in the past.

Comments on "Fashion Week Shopping Has Begun"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Very Italy! It's a very common style in Europe wearing Tod's with Jeans or even a suit. I am sure you look fantasic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Lovely boot. If you are wearing very new or very raw jeans, beware of indigo dye rubbing off on them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

An excellent choice! Especially for the winter. You can't go wrong with an elegant desert boot, and Tod's are super-comfortable. If you are really concerned about comfort, then get them slightly large and wear them with thick athletic socks. It feels just like sneakers, and nobody will know. Fashion week is exhausting. At the end of the day my feet feel like they are going to fall off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

what do you guys think of the charles thyrwhitt suede shoes (manufactured from loake)?

 

Blogger The Vintagent said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I just bought a pair of Lambertson-Truex desert boots; they have a leather sole so might nudge your criteria towards the dressier side, but they look great with a suit or nice outift, or jeans. Note the distinction! I'm not much of a fan of jeans these days, as 80% of the men in SF wear jeans with their shirt untucked, and yes it's always a striped shirt... okay guys time to go shopping.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

sort of a different direction than the Tod's, but i find my Cydwoq Bullit's shockingly versatile and the most comfortable boot i have owned.

for standing on my feet in kitchens, I found Trippen Haferis to be unbeatable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I would have gone English - Dainite or Ridgeway soled chukkas or chelseas from Edward Green/Crockett & Jones/Paul Stuart (Grenson). I suspect the Tod's will not be as durable. Are they Goodyear welted?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

There are some very elegant examples of rubber soled dress shoes at John Lobb.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Nice - I have a pair of Terra Planas with the same look and a pair of Tod's that are super comfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

This may sound a bit... odd, but I believe those are the boots that Dave Matthews swears by. Not that that endorsement is, strictly speaking, meant to convince you! But I imagine they must be comfortable. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

i suggest converse high tops or low.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Not good for me - but that's me.

 

Blogger marie said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I thought the comments to your APC post was funny too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:44 PM) : 

Chelsea boots by RM Williams. Very comfortable and supportive. If you can, get 2 pairs (brown and black).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 PM) : 

i'm sorry bro - i think you really are making a mistake w/the desert boots - tod's or not - personally i think i've imagined you to be a bit cooler than these pan-handler pass downs - perhaps you should dial up some black leather lace up w/runner sole pierre hardy -- only avaliable at his main store in paris unfortunately.... don't hate me - just dont want to be another 'yes' man on your site.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 AM) : 

A great looking boot but in truth this style of shoe which looks more in the direction of a chukka boot than a desert boot can get very tiring on the feet after a long day unless the leather is very soft. As it's a Tod we'll give it the benefit of the doubt. One of the problems is the width fittings which seem to fairly standard and wide in this type of shoe, if you need to compensate wear thick socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Sart- VERY COMFORTABLE- My boyfriend has these very same Tod's from a few seasons ago that he got when he was in Italy on a business trip. He loves them, and always says they are super comfortable. They were his first Tod's and since then has bought several more pairs for their great comfort! I think you will LOVE them. - Philadelphia Chick

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 PM) : 

actually i agree with anonymous 7:44pm above, own two pairs of the Australian R.M. Williams Chelsea boots. They are incredibly comfortable and they look a little more elegant and a tiny bit edgies I think than these (very nice) desert boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 AM) : 

Hi Sart!
I totally agree with your choice. I am a big Tod's fan and I have around 10 pairs. I just bought the same model than you two days ago but in brown leather. They are just great.
Have a good day,
Nic, Brussels, Belgium

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 AM) : 

These are cool, but actually if you want something more formal you should find something else in the Tod's catlogue. The point on these is too round.

Also the colour is not dark enough, darker colours also last longer. The one you have is perfect with jeans and other cotton pants. ith a suit they stick out a bit too much.

It is true that you can find something on the British side, but normally these are less comfortable and more expensive.

Concerning durability, in my experience if you use them carefully Tod's suedes do last a long time. I prefer their ageing process with respect to British shoes. I love British shoes, but only when they are in perfect conditions.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 AM) : 

Gret boots. Personall I am going for the PZero black boots as long as i can find my size in black...cause the brown/olive ones were nice but not my style

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Looks like a good investment.

And why is that men don't seem to 'suffer' the way many women do in new shoes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

I like these. They remind me of the Hush-Puppies I wore in Jr. High School. I hope Tod's are more supportive however. Also, I'm in line with recommending a darker color if available.

Lisa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:40 PM) : 

I LOVE desert boots on men, and am jealous of your solution. I'm a woman, and my career gets me all around NYC, looking professional but with room to be a smidge creative. I've always worn heels because I'm short, but lately I long for rubber-soled shoes, that aren't too flat and not too high. Anyone else feel my pain?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Just love those shoes! Been searching high and low for them. Anyone know where I can buy them on-line?
Also, Church's do a similar Chukka boot with crepe sole. Very Steve McQueen in 'Bullitt'.
For a more dressier look, check out Loakes 'Kemptons'
/Swede who loves suede

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

Love them! so much better than the old guy black Reebok that's sort of shoe sort of a sneaker.

Although I do love my Clarks...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 AM) : 

Sart, my husband, who also spends much of the work day on his feet, swears by Ferragamo's black lace-up ankle boots (slightly squared-off toe, very classic, and they look great with a suit or jeans or anything in-between...well, maybe not shorts, but you get the idea). In fact, they kind of look like these Tod's only in leather. He says they're like slippers and apparently required no break-in time. Well worth the money, I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Tsk tsk, you really should've gone for a pair of Alden shell cordovan chukkas. Really tough to beat with selvege denim.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Ok, two things: when I was younger I was ruined by Steve McQueen in "Bullitt" and Robert Redford in "Three Days Of The Condor". Bullitt made me a fiend for turtlenecks and desert boots. I even purchased a box cut raincoat, similar to Frank Bullitt's (Damn, how I wanted a shoulder holster, and a woman I could never allow to get too close). Three Days... caused me to run right out a grab a peacoat and a Harris tweed blazer. Both films left me with an everlasting appreciation for understated style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 PM) : 

To mcqueen lives... Same here. The staple items in my wardrobe is a turtle neck, pea-coat and desert boots. Grew out of my Harris tweed jacket and still looking, after all these years, for the right model of rain coat (3/4 length, boxy). Can't get enough of those movies. If you haven't already, check out www.mqueenonline.com for more inspiration
/Suede Swede

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

Wow, great comments here. I'm googling everybody's recommendations and counting the pennies in my change jar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I agree with you, Sart: a pair of dusky desert boots is a beautiful and comfortable way to compliment jeans and other casual wear. They can add a bit of warmth and protection in the winter - form and function. And, as on an urban (or other environs) safari, they can sometimes even be worn with khaki shorts in the warmer seasons.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and names for my next pair. Right now, the pair I bought in Florence in 1999 (before the Euro, thank the gods) are still holding up like the foot soldiers they are. - JCH

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

P.S. - I don't think this is just a phase: I only wear suede shoes. (Except for sneakers, running shoes, Sorrels for snow, etc.) Even have a beautiful dressy black pair for my tux. Maybe I'm just lazy and hate the polishing bit? No, I just prefer the softer look. Patent leather? No way! - JCH

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

If it`s the Steve McQueen look you want then the answer is very simple..It has to be classic George Cox suede Chukka boots.In fact i believe Steve wore just these same Chukka`s.George Cox of Northampton England are in fact credited with inventing the ORIGINAL crepe sole in the forties or fifties!George Cox Chukka`s were worn by the `beat` beatnik generation in the late fifties and early sixties.The boots look really laid-back, jazzy and very mod.You can buy them from the Olde Curiosity Shop behind Kingsway in Holborn, London.J.Simons the legendary British clothiers in Covent Garden and proponents of classic authentic American `Ivy League` & `English Mod` style since the early sixties stocks the Cox suede crepe soled `Playboy` shoe and may also now be re-selling the Cox Chukka.You can definately find them online at violet promotions (www.violetpromotions.co.uk. i think?..).The Sex Pistols wore Cox creepers in the seventies and on their last , most recent tour.The coolest, most stylish punk ever the Clash`s Paul Simenon is currently sporting the Chukka`s i notice in his current band "The Good , The Bad, and the Queen".The secrets out!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting