This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.....Prince Street, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, October 28, 2006

On The Street.....Prince Street, New York

Comments on "On The Street.....Prince Street, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I like the look, and I've tried it before, but I think the pants are too small, both for comfort (you can't be constantly pulling them away from your crotch to make them look flat) and to reasonably cover the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

there's a nice quiet dignity about him. Charming indeed...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM) : 

I love how he pulls off a completely mundane outfit that you can see at any given small town in the USA. Phenomenal. More please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 AM) : 

fitting for the quite prince street shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

Very nice...because this is exactly how I dress! Except I prefer boots to shoes. I even think he got the same shirt as me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

That look is great - Scott probably posted this because he loved the length of the trousers, but I think his haircut is what pulls it all together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

He looks like a sweet good boy...funny and very attractive in a way !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Very well put together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

He is Klaus Baudelaire all grown up. (as in A Series of Unfortunate Events...)

 

Blogger Butch said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Not so sure the pants length has been consciously chosen...sort of "default" dressing, no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

WOW!!!
I went to college with this kid in Santa Barbara.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

He has a charming English academic look (I will resist saying Harry-Potter-like), as though he's taking a small break, and about to return to the lab to continue his post-doctoral research. I think he's very well put-together, and his pant length would drop a smidge, to where it should be, when he takes his hands out of his pockets. Very nice intensity.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

yawn....not sure i see the fuss. there isn't that one little detail that sets him apart if you ask me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

this is SUCH a great look. it's what all the hipster boys will do when they realize that you can't make a living off being young, and yet he doesn't look old in it. it's fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

He looks fantastic. I love the length of his pants and the colors he chose, low-key but he's got a dignified look about him.

 

Blogger Zaydoun said ... (5:47 PM) : 

The preppie/euro "schoolboy" look actually makes most men look younger than they really are

I know it works for me, and I use it on days when its needed ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 PM) : 

shoes- fabulous

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 PM) : 

i want to marry this man. this is what my dream husband looks like. *sigh* thank you.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Notthing new...but it's a very...very cool style. Indeed a classic one. Nice pic though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Quite perfect, really.

 

Blogger Sam and Iso said ... (8:37 PM) : 

I love it! I've been seeing a lot of people subtly co-ordinating neutrals. Its a really good look, and the suede shoes add a touch of english retro-swot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

For all those that mentioned 'english / british' style or influence ... i'm sorry! i have nvr once seen any guy dressed like that over here ... we have young style, not old man style ... totally boring, totally mundane, totally forgetable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 AM) : 

Great length on the trousers, very european!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:18 AM) : 

To Anon 10:48
Menswear at its best is about little details and this look is all about the subtle perfection of cut and proportion

I would love to see more American men dressed like this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

To anonymous - I am from UK - and you're talking cobblers old bean. Total hogwash. This well dressed (okay slight banal but still spiffy) fella is typical of many a Brit. Actually it's a new-classic style that stretches back to the Mods in the 1960s. I attended school in 1980s with a whole classload of similar dressed types. All he needs is a green army parka jacket and a scooter and he fits right into the Mod look. Also see The Jam band from UK in 1980s - same look etc. Not my cup of tea - but for some a very tidy and nifty way to go. Still very fashionable too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 PM) : 

it's definitely the combo of the outfit + the hair together, reminds me of quadrophenia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 AM) : 

Love this look. It is very early 60's prep/franco/brit. There are some great pictures of this look in 'Des Modes et Des Hommes'

It's the fact that the pieces are very basic, but tweaked in the proportion. I have to disagree with the third comment - I wish I could see this look in 'any given small down USA.' That was possible once (mid to late 60's) but I only see this look in NYC/London/Paris.

 

Blogger .......... said ... (12:34 AM) : 

color combo is fantastic. i wonder if his pants are actually comfy...

 

Blogger Alexander said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Is this the Prince of Prince Street? Perhaps! This dapper gent reminds me of a young Gerard Depardieu. Tres chic! Tres elegant! I wonder what this man is holding in his pockets? I would guess the Kinks box set, a ticket to a Who concert, and a paperback copy of Nicholas Nickelby. Like Mona Lisa's smile and the location of the Sasquatch, we will never know! And terrific use of a school bus in the background, to boot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

He is so cute, I'd love to take him home . . .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

It's the rosy cheeks that make this look for me.

I love the guesses about what he might have in his pocket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

I believe irish eyes is right - but I would extend that to much of Northern Europe. My husband, who grew up in Switzerland and Austria in the '80's dresses exactly like this (and it does somehow make him seem younger than he is). He has always kept his pants cut close, and a touch shorter than most. He is concerned with color, texture, and fit - and always has been! This isn't old man style, it's just style.

And if I weren't married, this boy would be my cup of tea...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Yes, pants are tight but that's the style. Very European. I like it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 AM) : 

Amazingly pixy-boy. I'd probably develop a huge crush on someone who looked like this in real life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

wow nice shoes, where do I find ???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

ahh a classic look its totally tim hamilton all over

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

what pants is he wearing? Where can I buy pants similar to that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

too darling.
reminiscent of vampire weekend, no?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting