This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street......The Shape Of Things To Come, East Village

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

On The Street......The Shape Of Things To Come, East Village


I really like two things about this look

-The mid-thigh length short is where mens shorts will be headed next summer. I'm so tired of cargo shorts.

- I really like the brown leather belt with this look. It seems like something you would see in a store display but not do at home but then you see it in real life and it looks great.
Actually ,and maybe more importantly, I didn't really notice the belt until I looked at the photo later. If I did the brown belt with a casual outfit I would be afraid it would be the first thing people noticed but I see it here and it is so subtle.

Well Done!

Comments on "On The Street......The Shape Of Things To Come, East Village"

 

Blogger RoseAG said ... (9:22 AM) : 

how come you like the belt on this guy, but make no mention of a missing belt on the guy in the chino pants?

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Can't wait for next spring summer. All my shorts are getting cropped. Of course you have to have legs like his to carry this length successfully. The brown belt is the perfect finishing touch. Is he actually going for a tennis match or just slumming around?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

I like the look also , the big pants and flip-flops are getting old ....... but one question : did Biff get lost ?? Greenwich is in the other direction

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

i wish he hadn't worn socks (or wore the really low ones) to make the look less comical and uptight and more laid back. is that a tote he's carrying or a knapsack? i think totes for men are THE shape of things to come.

 

Blogger we could grow up 2gether said ... (9:32 AM) : 

prince charming. prince charming.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

He looks more UES than EV.

I need a man like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

i just don't get it ... & guys should only wear thigh lenght shorts if they have good legs ...

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Roseag
Because this guy is wearing shorts and a brown leather belt.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Suddenly it's 1982. Cleaned up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Wowie Zowie! But what's with the bag?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 AM) : 

I know what you mean about cargo shorts... I think I was tired of them ever since the start! I love these shorts!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM) : 

....yes, long shorts are looking so tired...long live short ...but one does tend to get 'looks' in shorter shorts, not sure if that is good or bad.

re the tote......totes are brilliant and sensible...i am not sure why they are considered 'femme' in the U.S.
....go to tokyo and the men's bag departments are [and always have been] bursting with clever totes.

more tote news please.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Wow
I have finally stumbled upon the mens equivalent of the women's issue with leggings!!

I think his socks look fine and white with a sporty outfit looks appropriate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Reality check from the boonies: Here in Portland, men wear ragg socks with their Birkenstocks, so ... this guy looks pretty damn good to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

Cool look, not very sure about the white socks with that particular shoes ( I may be wrong, though )

Talking about totes, anybody can help where to find the clever ones other than Bottega Veneta ( nice but bloody rip off ) or Jack Spade ? Thank you

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:29 PM) : 

I'm going to have to agree with most people here. White socks are for the gym or out running. Once you put a leather belt on and tuck your shirt in - no white socks - coloured or sans would be a better look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

very kennedy-esque

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I'm a fashion coward. I love the look of mid thigh shorts but I'm too afraid to ever wear something like that out in public. As "liberal" as New York is, I know that as a man if I go out in those shorts I won't make it 5 blocks without being called twinkle-toes or something. :-(

I'll wait till this particular trend is more mainstream before I sport it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

John Karr-esqe.

 

Blogger Teri said ... (1:41 PM) : 

He looks so clean and charming...How did you find him, Sart? It's kind of hard to find a guy like him on these days...Hot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I loved the shoes and thought the belt was little heavy for this light summery look, My husband would love the belt though. Maybe its a guy thing...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

The belt does not really fit with the shoes and the socks.

I cannot think of an adequate combination of shoes/socks/belt.

The only way to go is without socks.
My shoes preference would be very soft mocassin driver style.

Anyway I hate shorts and consider a bit ridicolous men wearing them in urban settings.

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (2:22 PM) : 

I would have preferred no socks as well but all in all I love the look. The length of the short is perfect and so next season. The tote is perfect instead of a messenger bag. Yes, in Tokyo more men wear totes than messenger bags. I keep hoping American men will catch on but I have yet to see it in a big way here. Basta cargo shorts and basta messenger bags!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Dear Sart,

you know i respect you a lot , but i´m learning there are differences between you ,me ,and our opinion on shorts for men.

I hate , loathe (hope this word it´s ok.) , this look.The shorts are too short , the socks with those shoes are too girly , I don´t understand the bag? purse?
And most of all : that hair , that face ...mmmm...not with this ensemble.
I agree with you about being sick of cargo shorts, but I see no next look for men shorts here.

Love you always ,

Pata.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (3:44 PM) : 

looks like an ex-private school boy on his way home from tennis club. or a ralph lauren outfit going for the same look.

 

Blogger thecoherent said ... (3:53 PM) : 

i love the outfit since it is nice to see that other guys wear mid-thigh shorts. i've been wearing them since last summer and yes, sart, i think this upcoming 07 summer they will be big. but still, we have to keep in mind that this is america and guys will think they are too "gay" to wear. ugh. can this country ever change??

 

Blogger Lady Apple said ... (4:36 PM) : 

i do like the belt...but i must say i really hope that all men don't start wearing mid-thigh shorts...the thought of it just makes me cringe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

The socks are questionable with the white yachting sneakers, but all's forgiven because he matches his eyebrows and front hair hairlights with the shorts. Now that's what I call attention to detail.

 

Blogger 'signorina' said ... (7:59 PM) : 

Agree with the Kennedy-esque comment: this is too preppy for me.

But it seems to wear well on him - it's obviously his vibe. And I can cope with the white socks because they seem appropriate for his athletic context.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:17 PM) : 

......someone commenting here 'hates' shorts in urban settings???.....well, i LIVE in the TROPICS....be it bangkok, singapore, bali...near the equator, and i think on weekends its damn OK for me to sport short shorts in an 'urban' setting, no? its HOT. and if girls can wear tiny summer dresses, why do my legs have to stay hot? unless they are stick thin, of course.

i don't think the tote or shorty shorts will take off big time in the U.S really......men are still men, it seems, over there. is a tote sending out other messages?
ah.....iconography......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

I don't understand the contraversy here. This is what every guy on the Massachusetts shore wears every day, right down to the socks and belt. My forty-two year old, fashion-free, Brooks Brothers boxers husband has twelve of this outfit.

I love you Sart. This site is such fun. Thanks.

Wendy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

I think mid-thigh shorts are a little too short to be worn by a lot of men. Personally I prefer them to end a little above the knee. A compromise between this guy's shorts and cargo shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

Wow! As a lady I have to jump for joy at the shorter man short. Mmm mmm mmm next summer can't come FAST enough.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 PM) : 

Kennedy-esque? yeah more like Jimmy Kennedy... He looks supine and unlikely to work up a sweat at anything other than pulling the ring pull off that can of Coke. 'I say, anyone for tennis chaps?..' (Exit Stage Right through French Doors etc etc). Yawn...

 

Blogger hoi polloi said ... (1:41 PM) : 

If you can't say anything nice.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Have any of you been to a SEC school. The vast majority of fraternities are outfitted in a very similar fashion; 6" inseam is the norm. I might skip the socks though, Unless a girl was involved and then I wouldn't want her to smell my feet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:38 PM) : 

Wow, has the East Village ever gentrified. 1985, we hardly knew ye.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

i LOVE the circa-1982-without-irony aspect of it. looks like he could be straight out of whit stillman's metropolitan... yummy!

ok i just finished reading all the comments and MD also saw the metropolitan connection! heh.

sart, i think your title for this post is spot-on. clearly the look has inspired many divergent opinions, which is what (to me) makes it great.

i also love that there's a lot of leg being exposed. finally us women get something to look at. plus, a man who can wear fitted shorts like this is clearly secure in his masculinity, since he has to go up against the closemindedness of so many americans. bravo.

 

Blogger Elam Bend said ... (8:30 PM) : 

I've never minded having cargo pockets, but the length of the shorts have always been too much. I found one pair of mid-thigh shorts, with pockets and they are my favorites (they are blue-grey and I always wear a belt).

My girlfriend hates them becaust they have pockets, but at least they aren't skateboard shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

Just like the whole controversy with Polo being the official sponsor for the U.S. Open (Polo on the Tennis Court???)...this Yalie needs to ditch the socks...

The shorts, belt and tucked in look are fine...but the picture should've been cropped at his calves to save the poor man from the scrutiny of mean fashion whores.

Couldn't he have scrapped the gym socks and Vans for a pair of loafers (sockless) that actually highlighted his belt...or at least sport proper Jack Purcells (also sockless)...it's looks more stripmall than Downtown...more Woody Allen School of Style than UES. It's the little things that make the look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

in Athens, GA is where this look originated--this is the base layer--add sunglasses worn backwards on the neck w/ foam strap, deep tan, muscular calves, button down and bowtie for night, and preferably colored khakis, not stonewash. love that the dirty south is enjoying a revival.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Scott this look does not deserve a comment from you, to me it is as interesting as boiled potatoes and common among the east side set, nothing new!. Scott, I question your taste.

Here's a thought maybe you like the look because of who wearing it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 PM) : 

anonymous... I'm pretty sure this "look" was originated by the East Coast upper eclon families and worn by the upper echelon private school boys from Exeter, Andover, Deerfield, etc. I'm pretty sure RL started being modeled in the East Coast, as well. Sorry.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:11 PM) : 

to Anon 4:06 pm
maybe it is common on the East Coast but my readership is extremely international so what looks common to you may be fresh to someone in Japan or Sweden -

I know its hard but think outside your own backyard

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

no no no... this is wonderful. it is simple, it is tasteful, it is what I have been wearing since my first tennis lesson, and I see no reason to change something so good

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

I'm not digging the socks and shoes on this dude.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

Excuse me sir, could i interest you in a pims and lemonade?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting