This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Sunday At Coney Island

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, August 21, 2006

Sunday At Coney Island

As you can see from the announcement above, I am about to embark on two months of full-on fashion. Before I fall into the super-fab world of high fashion I wanted to take a little trip to a world which it super-fab in it's own little ways - Coney Island.
Coney Island is a world of extremes - the most seedy, the most potential, the most excitement, and the most forgotten.
I bet in twenty years we will look back at these images and barely recognize Coney Island, it will soon be remade much like the recent revitalization of 42nd street. Is that a good thing or bad? I don't know, but every time I go it just becomes more fascinating.
Playa Every emotion is in this little girls face - fear, excitement, pure joy
Coney Island has a seediness that openly rubs elbows with family entertainment - this hotel is in the shadow of the boardwalk amusement rides.
Special events and new sports complexs are some of the first sign of revitalization of the boardwalk
This guy was seriously rocking the boardwalk karaoke
The best $2 taco I have ever eaten from one of the worse looking places I have ever dared to order food from.
Well, I think this sign speaks for itself

Labels:

Comments on "Sunday At Coney Island"

 

Blogger grace said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Great shots! Love seeing things that I would never have known existed...makes life more fun and interesting! Thanks!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

That $2 taco looks delicious.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Wondeful photos, Scott--proving again that there is always more to see...

 

Blogger ENID P. said ... (11:38 AM) : 

I love that place. SO vibrant. I don't go to Coney island enough....

Thx for reminding me... I need to go back there.

ENID P.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Speaking as a Los Angeles taco nut, that looks suspiciously like a real taco. Now that the Mexican immigrant communities in places like New York are so big, I only wonder what took so long for real Mexican food to start showing up on the east coast.

 

Blogger jj said ... (12:36 PM) : 

The Angelino taco rule of thumb: The seedier the taco stand, the better the taco.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Does anyone know if the "Shoot the Freak" spot is still open? This was the best marketing scheme I've ever seen. It was an open area off of the boardwalk between two buildings. These budding Trumps came up with the idea of putting some guy in a bunch of padding and letting us suckers pay money to shoot paint balls at him. I can't remember if it was $5 or $10, but the laughs were worth more.

 

Blogger Daniela Lot said ... (3:06 PM) : 

You ve captured the atmosphere of Coney Island in these photos. They are really great.

The problem is that i live too far from those tacos... :(

 

Blogger Max said ... (4:58 PM) : 

That sign is probably the result of a recent effort to get graffiti writers to paint signs for Coney Island businesses. I forget the name of it, but I think Stephen Powers/Espo is behind it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 PM) : 

Shoot the freak is still there. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 AM) : 

Alice Cooper sans makeup

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

does anyone know the name and/or location of the taco place -- i've heard of it many times prior but never located it... thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 AM) : 

i cannot stop to look at the karaoke man, he's really great!

 

Blogger Genuine Lustre said ... (1:48 PM) : 

There is a time and a place to look smooth and elegant in a bikini, but volleyball is not one of them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 PM) : 

The first pic reall caught my attention. Everyone thinks that the Notorious B.I.G. was killed in Los Angeles. We now know he's hiding out in Coney Island.

 

Blogger Lazy P said ... (6:28 PM) : 

$1 dollar tacos are $2 dollar tacos in new york?

wounderful pictures!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 AM) : 

coney island will forever remain a symbol of my childhood. A place of excitement where i was oblivious to the shadowy side of things. I just hope that the changes they make won't take away its authenticity. I'm here in RI now, and who knows if i'll ever reeturn to NYC to live...but when i think about that place it brings a smile to my face and hits me with a wave of nostalgia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

Real is real! The truth speaks naturally and with glee! Thank you!

 

Blogger Jord. said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Living in the UK i've never heard much about that place, but extremely interesting pictures.

I laughed at that food place's sign, after getting ill at a similar looking place in the UK recently, i'd of refused to eat there.

I'm just getting into blogging/fashion blogging ( started today ), could anyone point me in the direction of mens fashion blogs? trying to take gather some inspiration for my own (:

 

Blogger kafran said ... (11:22 PM) : 

that's a real mexican taco!
and the best tacos are always in the worst stands.
greetings from mexico!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

Where did you find tacos like that in NYC?? They look like REAL tacos!!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting