This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Style on the Street....Chinatown NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Style on the Street....Chinatown NYC


Old Man Style is hard to beat. Gentlemen of a certain generation learned how to wear their clothes not let their clothes wear them.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Style on the Street....Chinatown NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Well, in this case I think part of the magic is that this is a superb fitting jacket. And his overall demeanor is so engaging and humble. He looks great and like an elderly chinese american aristocrat.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:30 PM) : 

That is exactly what I thought. I should have called it The Aristocrat. I'll have to remember that for the future

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 AM) : 

I know this entry was from forever ago, but I just wanted to say that's how I keep my hands warm-- by putting them in the sleeves of my jacket like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 AM) : 

With the elderly there is sometimes a feeling that the wardrobe has been whittled down, and worn into comfortability.
Like driftwood, simple and smooth.

 

Blogger atticus_finch said ... (9:15 AM) : 

well said.
great photo.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:38 AM) : 

What a fantastic photo. It's a moment captured, he looks so contemplative and thoroughly unaware of his picture being taken. (Did he know you were taking his photo?) Beautiful shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

A picture that shows more than "the aristocrat". Look the picture and remenber that we have so much to learn with thoose people.
We can find the samething in Brazil. Our grandparents use to live with style and originality (much more the fashionable grandsons).

 

Blogger ENID P. said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Once again, I am in love with the black and white shot, you captured the essence of his style. A simple jacket, a simple shirt, and a simple hat. But, he owns it all, aristocrat is the perfect word....

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:38 AM) : 

he's totally got that ancient-chinese-hands-hidden-in-sleeves-thing going! cute

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

argos said...
seems that we men for some reason avoid headwear until a certain age then it is dignified, exalted. Why?

I resemble that remark. Though I lost my hair in my twenties, I was too foolish to wear hats regularly until my forties. Since then, I virtually never go out of doors without a hat appropriate to the occasion. For a long time, most of the comments I got were of the “here comes Indiana Jones” variety. But as my 60th birthday approaches, the comments are mostly like the one I received from an African American gentleman on the bus this morning in reference to my panama: “You’re wearing that hat.” No higher compliment can be given. As to why, maybe it just takes time to grow into one’s hats without having a swelled head.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

lovely pic

and lovely speech

as usual

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (3:04 PM) : 

Who cares about the clothes . . . your photo is the real star here: the framing and the body language you captured trump anything he's got on (though it's great dressing).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Old man style is what drew me to your blog in the first place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 PM) : 

I disagree with everyone here. This is not an image of the aristocrat. May be that picture gives americans the impression. But that's not how chinese see themselves.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 PM) : 

Great pics - love them every day

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 PM) : 

I normally agree with the Sartorialist's commentary on his photos, but I think that he's dead wrong here. This looks like a rather shabby and forlorn old man to me, with his head cast down and his sloped shoulders. And he has the gauntness of a Chinese peasant. I'd gander that this is an outfit of necessity, not of a certain old school charm.

 

Blogger ToastyKen said ... (11:42 PM) : 

Echoing the last comment...

Chinese men do not wear suits to look high-class.. Chinese men wear suits because that's what all men wear, all the time, in China. (Exaggerating slightly, but less than you'd think.)

I emigrated from China when I was little, but I still visit now and then. In China, men wear dress shoes even when they're hiking! During my last visit to China, in 2004, I saw, in Chengdu, construction workers wearing suits. These were just typical middle aged men, digging a ditch with pick-axes, and they were wearing full suits.

When I went to a mall in China to look for clothing, it was ridiculous: There were tons of women's clothing stores, but nearly all the men's clothing stores sold suits and other formal clothing. I had to go to the stores with clothing for export markets to find anything wearable back in the US.

So these old Chinese men who wear suits everywhere are just wearing what men in China wear all the time. It just shows that they have not switched to American clothing, nothing more.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:37 AM) : 

Not enough hat wearing these days. Proper hats I mean, not those beanie / baseball cap horrors. Simple and very effective.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

I think the the men-in-China-wearing-suits line of comments are important to note, but I also think the photo is a very evocative one based simply on the man's posture and facial expression. Also, just because 'everyone' wears suits doesn't mean that they wear ones as well-fitted and comfortably worn-in as this man's. As for his mood, I perceve him to be pensive...I don't see him as looking particularly poor, or, echan, gaunt; as skin loses elasticity, it does that. I think he look great.

 

Blogger Daniela Lot said ... (9:07 PM) : 

beautiful...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

First I love the actual photograph. There is` suspense in the pose , and the shadows on the mans face adds to the tension.
Second I see a strong personality, I imagine when he takes his clothes off, they retain his shape.

 

Blogger imkirkwood said ... (9:57 PM) : 

First I love the photograph. It has suspense and the shadow on the mans' face adds to the tension.
Second I see a strong individual and I suspect when he takes his clothes off they retain his shape.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 PM) : 

i'm chinese and my late grandfather always wore a suit regardless of where he was and what he was doing. i find that quite classy except for the times when we were traveling because it was really inconvenient for him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 PM) : 

I enjoy the subtle tatters and frays that a finely custom tailored pair of slacks or shirt get as they mature. It add an heir of distinction, which is what Sartorialist has so aptly depicted in this photo

 

Blogger Ridonkulus said ... (9:40 PM) : 

What do Chinese people bring when they move halfway around the world? Their finest clothes. My dad has dress shirts from Hong Kong that are older than me and he STILL wears them . He is so frugal that all his clothes are from when he immigrated 25 years ago. They do love the hats. In Chicago, the Chinese men wear Russian fur hats way before it became fashionable to do so.

 

Blogger Ridonkulus said ... (9:48 PM) : 

also this man's shirt looks very white and crisp. which shows he really does care about his clothes. whereas my dad does wear those type of clothes but doesn't care enough to iron or separate his clothes.

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (11:34 AM) : 

He looks like an Armani ad.

 

Blogger Marian said ... (5:03 AM) : 

this is my fave image by you. AMAZING. it is art!As it is so moving.
x
Marian

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

I want to say a quiet "Hello." I want to see him smile when I do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

"Old Man Style is hard to beat. Gentlemen of a certain generation learned how to wear their clothes not let their clothes wear them."

So true.

 

Blogger Sunshinemom said ... (9:56 PM) : 

My tailor said the same thing when I had gone to him for a blouse that was to be stitched in vintage style - That generation wore style so easily!

 

Blogger VanessaDJones said ... (3:53 PM) : 

I'm in my 50's and learned to appreciate quality clothing from my parents. My mother taught me to hand sew and iron. My dad, how to care for clothing by watching him. When he passed there were still a few suits, ties and shirts he'd had since the fifties. I can still remember him getting his shoes spit shined. No matter what life threw at them they wore it well. Love this photo.

 

Anonymous Tonni said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Simple Classic Peaceful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 AM) : 

All my romantic illusions about this stranger pinpoints to his top collar button being buttoned.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting