This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.....Outside Jil Sander, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, August 11, 2006

On The Street.....Outside Jil Sander, New York


Ok. we all know she looks amazing!
I love the tie detail at the neck of the blouse.
Since you all know I have a scarf fetish this should get me through to October!


What I was really pleasantly surprised by was how well the gentleman's suit fit.
Perfect sleeve-to-shirt cuff ratio, the length of the jacket is spot-on, and the pant length perfect.

Often people that wear more fashion-forward designers ,in an effort to be different, break all the wrong rules about how clothes should fit. This gentleman has perfected all those "traditional" rules and yet has been able to maintain the modern, sleek sensibility that is a Jil Sander suit. I would think Raf would be happy to see his clothes worn this way in the real world

Comments on "On The Street.....Outside Jil Sander, New York"

 

Blogger 'Clavdia' said ... (9:49 AM) : 

That's a stunning pair right there; fresh-faced, comfortable, and with some authentic chic. Good shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

What color is his suit?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

they totally represent the meaning of "modern chic". loved it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

I hope this is not too off topic...I really like her shoe. It isolates the front part of the foot like the fashionable high heels so elegantly do, but evidently it is not a high heel itself. With its calf tie and the short length of her pants the shoe, like the collar detail, adds a feminine glow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

A very elegant couple. I love her shoes. Does anyone know the brand/style? Thanks.

Jeff S

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:42 AM) : 

I would assume the shoes are Jil

I will try to find out

 

Blogger Cla said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Hi! I'm Claudia from Genoa in Italy....your blog is very glamourous!!!! ;o) ciao ciao

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:38 AM) : 

yes "death patrol" I thought they looked pretty good

and yes they were on the street so I found it a fitting match!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

Authentic is a nice way to describe them clavidachauchat. They are so easygoing and not at all jaded. I love the untucked white shirt with nary a wrinkle in sight.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

The guy works at Jil Sander, he's very nice. So he's definitely wearing Jil Sander, I would assume she works there too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

I think his jacket is a bit short-

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I think she looks brilliant.

I like his suit, but there's something about it on him that doesn't go right...not sure what it is...anyone think something similar?

 

Blogger Jonathon Morgan said ... (1:54 PM) : 

I think they look fantastic! How can I make a suit fit like that without spending all the money I made this month/year???

 

Blogger Marcy said ... (1:58 PM) : 

So do you just stop people on the street and take pictures of their outfits? That's pretty cool! =) I bet people enjoy the compliment.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

I think she looks fabulous, but there is something about her shirt I just find a bit off. Maybe if it was more fitted.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

To death patrol: I believe that style can be many things. It's not always about what people wear, but HOW they wear it. This pair look relaxed and natural in clothing that could easily read as rigid.

 

Blogger UpperWestSideGuy said ... (4:10 PM) : 

His suit is impeccably cut however I think its more evening at a great restaurant and a night out suit than a daytime look.

If he wore a more interesting tie it would less tux-esque.

Her style is great!

 

Blogger emily said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I love her shoes. I also adore it that someone has a screen name from The Magic Mountain, clavdia. :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 PM) : 

What a stunning couple.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 AM) : 

she looks like one of lagerfeld's muses, amira casar. simple and elegant, but different. interesting play with proportions. super cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 AM) : 

That man's suit is absolutely beautiful.

 

Blogger S said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Isn't it still pretty hot in New York to be wearing suits?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

Nicely dressed couple. But I was surprised to see so many posts here misinformed about the fit of this man's suit. Yes, the white shirt sleeve to jacket sleeve looks unusually perfect. The pants seems fine, as well as the neck, shoulders and chest. But the jacket length is all wrong - too short. The jacket's length should be even with the break of his palm at the knuckles, not at the wrist break with the top of his hand. It looks like it's about 2-3" too short. Now that you look again, do you see it?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:57 AM) : 

Anon 2:47
why would you determine the length of your jacket to your hand?

A jacket should be long enough to cover your butt - thats it- after that it's up to personal taste. This gentleman works at Jil Sander and their jackets are a little shorter this season that is why i think it is great that he was able to get it to fit so well and still maintain the style of the season.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Sorry I can't see anyone else in this photograph except her!!

She looks amazing - I love the simple black and white. Love the detail on the collar, love the strappy shoes. So tailored, crisp and clean. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I think they look fabulous and fresh, yet classic at the same time. I love how her hair is a bit tousled... and the flush on her cheeks is lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Hi Sartorialist 9:57,

My father worked in the NYC fashion industry and this was the rule-of-thumb I inherited growing up. I'm more traditional on this note...and I'm not alone. See another earlier anonymous post (not me) on this man's jacket : "I think his jacket is a bit short" - 12:09 PM. And, for what it's worth, this reference, (also not my post): "When you put on the jacket, you should be able to cup the bottom in your hand right where the fingers begin from the palm." Source: http://www.ehow.com/tips_108131.html

This fitting rule-of-thumb keeps the jacket length in some relationship to the wearer's arm and torso length - which varies, of course. The gentleman in our photo can almost get away with the shorter length as he is not tall, as I am, but I still don't like the look of it, especially when I imagine just another couple of inches would make all the difference.

I saw a number of jacket photos recently when I was looking online for sales at Macy's, seeking a replacement for my summer linen jacket, and I was amused by a seeming trend which had photos of gents wearing all kinds of shortened lengths and sleeves and too-small-looking misfits. To me, Jil Sander's and others' shortening adjustment to the length is just trendy and what will one do with such a short jacket next year?

I found just the jacket I wanted in a close-out of a Claiborne at Syms. The sleeves end at just about my wrist bone and the jacket at the break where the fingers meet the palm. That's a good fit on me - shorter looks cheap and ill-fitting on my body.

So...if it's okay with you, we might have to agree to disagree about this one. ;-) - JCH

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting