This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.....Mismatched Stripes , New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, August 14, 2006

On The Street.....Mismatched Stripes , New York

This is one of those looks that you might see in a store display and think it would never work in real life but here it is and it looks great.

The stripe combo is just subtle enough that it would be easy to miss on the street unless you really looked, I love that kind of detail. I also really like the loose folds or "crumple" of his pocket square - I think we often over-press and over-fold our little buddies.

Comments on "On The Street.....Mismatched Stripes , New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Also love the fact that one of the buttons on his cuff is open and the sleeve is turned up.
-Jeff S

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

He's got a long neck and thin shoulders which slope downwards. His torso is also thin and soft. Yet, against all the odds and breaking with some rules - like building up a stronger shoulder line, for example - he pulls this entire look off with panache. It's probably even an extention of his personality. This is style. Well-spotted Scott. Excellent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

This just goes to show that I don't have the New York eye (not, of course, being from New York). I just don't like this much. The shape of the jacket is nice, and I love the little round sunglasses--normally a detestable style but so charming and retro on him. But the color combination just seems off to me. I don't like the very dark pants and shoes with the significantly different colors of shirt, tie and jacket. I don't like the dark pointy shoes. On a purely person level, I don't like the cut of the pants very much, or the high-looking waist. But then, there's something to be said for dressing with care and intention in general, even if there's disagreement over the precise details. I think I'd probably be favorably impressed if I saw this ensemble on the street.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

It looks like he just shoved a hanky in the pocket trying to pass it off as a pocket square. Personally I think pocket square are a pretty silly invention. But I like the fact that he's dressed up while still looking casual.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Evadne
Wow, you noticed everything Except what i was focusing on in this post

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (12:38 PM) : 

he looks great. timeless. could have stepped out of a fellini movie (8 1/2).

my only gripe is the large tie knot. a modern affectation that should have been laid to rest by now.

 

Blogger City Slicker said ... (12:47 PM) : 

This is traditional American mens wear. I dont think he was trying for the fashion angle. men iwth any roots in the South feel seersucker is always appropriate.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (1:53 PM) : 

Dap--despite the affectation of the (one?) open jacket cuff...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

You may or may not like the whole ensemble, but you have to respect his confidence. In the photo, I see a man who is confident in his style of dress and that's what makes it work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

That looks like a searsucker jacket..I would have to see it up close with my own eyes to see if the jacket would make the tailored pant look too casual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

I personally would have pulled it off with brown shoes.
Love the details though, the pocketsquare, the sleeve buttons probably undone and sleeve rolled back. Pity he isn't wearing his jacket buttoned with one button.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

the pocket square expression is terrific.

I usually wear a perfectly neat straight white hankie.....alla 1950's.

i'm stealing this idea.....cheers!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

IMO that tie knot is not particularly large: it looks like a slightly loose four-in-hand. No big deal

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 PM) : 

the high waist trouser seems to work for this gentleman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

The subject is Robert Rufino, VP at Tiffany's, also one of the best dressed men in NY, or anywhere. On the Intl Best Dressed list a few years ago, maybe more than once.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 PM) : 

I love his "ever so slightly" turned back cuff and the cut of his clothes. This guy really knows how to dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 PM) : 

Hello, Sartorialist. [If I missed everything you were focusing on...]That's why I need to read your comments and see the pictures you take--to refine my eye, not having the advantage of day-by-day glamour in a world city! Already this summer your photographs have enlightened me considerably about seersucker, so perhaps I'll work up to appreciating finer points.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 AM) : 

I love this look. Very stylish gentleman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

I like how nothing stands out too much in his entire ensemble. It all fits together and ends up balancing itself. I like the high-waisted trousers personally. I like how it lengthens his legs. Was this man on the shorter side, Sartorialist?
I have to agree with most of the people here about the big tie knot, however, I ask about his height because he may be using the WIndsor knot to use up more of the tie. High-waisted pants+shorter men+loooooooooong ties= using a windsor knot. I know I've had to a few times.
I dressed myself, I was under the impression that a handkerchief and pocket square were practically the exact same thing... I tend to place a linen or cotton handkerchief in my breast pocket. Afterall, the origin of this "tradition" was that the the breast pocket allowed the hanky to air out and dry after wiping the sweat off one's forehead.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:23 AM) : 

Anon 9:09

I agree he could be using a Windsor knot to use up more tie length but you can tell he spends a lot on his clothes (working buttonholes, etc) so I think , in this case, it is a personal style choice.

I completely agree though that using a Windsor knot in that manner is a good trick

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 PM) : 

Robert is a man with boundless and brave personal style but always with a timeless almost old Hollywood elegance, who has elevated the art of dressing,and he sets a table like nobodys business. RR is something of an icon around town. Hope to see more pictures of him in the future.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 AM) : 

His knot is excellent as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

I'm saving this it is knockout. My look for next spring in NYC.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting