This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street... Midtown, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, August 17, 2006

On The Street... Midtown, New York

I love the windowpane pattern of this suit - I think it shows that even a guy under 6 foot can wear it as long as the suit fits properly. The only thing I would do is shorten the shirt sleeve length but that is just one of my pet peeves.

Comments on "On The Street... Midtown, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Yeah! There is hope for us short guys yet! I also like the second pocket on the jacket. Is that a ticket pocket? They were common back when trains were a regular mode of transportation. I seem to have spotted them on more suits lately.

 

Blogger Mike Paget said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Yeah windowpane, yeah. Front looks a tad boxy but I like it overall.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

It's a lovely suit, I just wish the break in his pants were smaller. Especially on a guy who isn't very tall, this always looks sloppy to me, like he borrowed his taller, older brother's pants.

 

Blogger Claudio Moro said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Cool and well dress. The jacket ist e bit too large ... shirt sleeves are okay ...

Absolutely gorgeous are the shoes.

Very italian style ... Great.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I have a fondness for longer shirt sleeves so that was the first thing I noticed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

He is showing quite a bit of cuff, but he's so well dressed, I'm sure this is a preference and not a mistake. Great look.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:07 AM) : 

The effect is natty, but the jacket's overscaled and the pants puddle--a pet peeve (let's hear it for alliteration!) of mine, and especial no-no when a guy isn't tall.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

I love the banker collar and the yellow striped tie. He has great shoes and the color combination is not one I would put together myself, but he did a great job. I always think the cuff should show a little with any suit. But you are right, his sleeves are too long and he is showing too much cuff. The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago with a new shirt at a wedding. I kept pulling the sleeves back under my suit. It was driving me crazy. It is hard to find a shirt that fits well. They don't all have the same measurements.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Next to St. Patrick's, across from Saks? Is this guy a Saks salesman?

 

Blogger Claire said ... (2:24 PM) : 

is there a term for it when there are two sets of pocket flaps on the suit like this guy has?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

I love a windowpane suit, think every suitwearing guy should have one. Have a navy and white version myself.
But as stylish as this guy looks his tailor should at least have given him some sartorial tips:
Like you said definately shorten his shirt sleeves and same counts for his trouser lenght.

But nice shirt and tie combo, love the matching square.

Would have worn black shoes with this suit and would also have matched his briefcase.

PS: Sartorialist - maybe an idea to see what the Captains of Industry are wearing these days down on Wall Street ? Could be fun and inspiring or maybe not ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:28 PM) : 

I love it, love it, love it.

I don't mind the longer shirtsleeves and although I agree a smaller pant break would be better, it's a quibble when everything else works so well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:32 PM) : 

This guy works in the suit dept. at Saks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

Everything is a 'tad' too baggy. He needs it nipped here and there. Also, small point that - as a man of somewhat ahort stature myself - is the bag: shorter guys need to carry briefcases in proportion to their size. Which doesn't mean dinky or feminine. They simply need to pay attention to scale: a great outfit can be destroyed in a nanosecond, if the case is in-scale for a big fella. A nifty, in-proportion brief will make you look taller. And, seeing at the Sart, Scott, himself is telling us about the wonderful Cary Grant, elsewhere on the blog, please forgive me Scott for urging you gently to feature a man of short-nromal height, the late great Steve McQueen - a ';man's man' who dressed carefully and - a trick he used - always in proper proportion to his height. Not one stitch on him was ever for a taller man - checkout 'Bullit' and original 'Thomas Crown Affrair' - he knew his threads, body-shape and - above all - height opportunities. This chap - who I admire - needs similar advice.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Good points irish eyes

I think we must also consider that the bag is an alternative to a gym bag - it could very well be carrying his gym shoes

The thing about "stars" is that they knew people were watching their every move and they had the $, time, and motivation to pay attention to all the image details.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

Ahhh Mr Sart... as usual you clobber me with a lovely counter-punch... touche. I agree and defer. But I'd be in y'er debt if you'd have a look at Steve McQ sometime. Loved your Cary G. Comments. Excellent.

 

Blogger 'signorina' said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Again, I like how he's making so many "conflicting" patterns and colours work: the window-pane, the tie, the shirt.

The mismatched bag and shoes don't worry me as much as they would if it was a woman. (I don't know why this is.) I think he needs the brown shoes to break the outfit up a bit, or "ground" it or something. Black shoes would melt into the suit too much. And a matching tan bag would be too much, would dominate.

Also, I like the Sart's realism - unfortunately we don't always have matching bags/shoes. Welcome to reality (dammit - it would be nice to be a Steve McQueen or Cary Grant instead).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 PM) : 

He looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

He's a salesman at Saks - very boxy cut on the suit but good color combos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

short guys should not worry. willie brown (san francisco ex-mayor) and king edward viii aka duke of windsor. both short but impecable style. what they have in common: they both utilized a skilled tailor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

Yes, that is a ticket pocket. And thanks so much for this pic. I am a short guy, and love windowpanes, but the "no windowpane on short guys" rule always nags at me.

I would do a little bit of tailoring on this as well, but all in all, it's good. I also prefer angled pockets when there's a ticket pocket, but now I'm just being picky.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 AM) : 

Steve McQueen was short? All the stuff I see lists him around 5' 10" - since when is that "short"? At 5' 7", suddenly I have a complex =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

I don't think the suit is too boxy or not tailored enough - he's got a very subtle zoot suit reference going there. Oh, and why am I the only one to notice that his shoes perfectly complement his skin tone? I like the fact that his shoes don't match the fact and agree that that would be too feminine.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting