This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Old Man Style....Madras With Cargo's & Trainers

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Old Man Style....Madras With Cargo's & Trainers

Women talk a lot about looks that are "too young" for them. This is definitely a young look but it looks really good on this guy that was at least mid-60's. I love the bold, athletic colors of the shoes and hat working against the more "traditional" madras jacket. Didn't I hear recently that 60 is the new 40!

Comments on "Old Man Style....Madras With Cargo's & Trainers"

 

Blogger Butch said ... (9:22 AM) : 

This is perfect in every way. Color sense--make the visual leap from hat to shoes and back again--superb.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (9:24 AM) : 

I agree about founding joviality in daring men when wearing "young" pieces.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Scott, I love your blog but I am going to have to disagree with you here. This man looks absurd. This "outfit" is the opposite of classic. I prefer beautiful clothes that whisper rather than scream.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:17 AM) : 

Your perspective is good too because we can't see his face or skin, so we can't make all the judgements that are associated with that.

On a tangent, I like that I assume he must have a certain amount of self confidence to wear bold colours, patterns, fabrics etc.

Realise that's a huge generalisation! Am currently working with a gentleman who's in his early 50s and he often wears the brightest colours I've ever seen, including red trousers. Red! He is extremely self confident (without being painful). But what's interesting is watching how the other men here respond to his clothes/style. (They cannot handle the red trousers!) He is fairly oblivious to all the comments too. It's a conservative industry and just from the way he dresses I can see how different (creative, passionate etc) he is to the stereotype.

Guess that means I make assumptions about personality based on style!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

This is a great look for him. I think it would really go well with some maroon socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

60 years is "old"? Not when your heart is young.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

if i'm not mistaken that's my upstairs neighbor (and landlord). for what it's worth, he's a psychiatrist. loves funky hats. what's the freudian interpretation of funky hat love?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

What an interesting subject! As a 52 year old male who loves fashion, I often wonder when I see a cool new look, "Is it too young for me?" It is fun to read the various comments and I hope you will show new styles and sportwear on older guys on an ongoing basis.

My own opinion, is that the jacket, hat and shoes each make a very bold color statement on their own. The three combined are too much. Topsiders or blue or white sneakers and a blue cap would have looked just right with the colorful madras jacket.

 

Blogger Kelli said ... (1:56 PM) : 

Oh my gosh! My husband wears something similiar: madras cargo shorts (I have no idea where he found those!), orange Pumas, a rock t-shirt or blue Lacoste and a Boston RedSox cap. Is there a secret men's fashion club founded by David Arquette that I don't know about?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

This guy is having fun, but the jacket is bothering me. It doesn't look as 'easy' as everything else in this "outfit". It looks heavy and dirty...it could just be the light???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I must take issue here. Its a cap, not a hat, per se. Yes, I am incorrigibly pedantic, but seeing as this is a fashion/style blog, the distinction must be drawn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Looks like he's checking his blackberry after getting a iced frappucino at Starbucks.

 

Blogger Daniela Lot said ... (7:06 PM) : 

the good thing about him is that he wears what he wants to ...

isnt it great when you have the freedom to be spontaneous?

(well, at least i think he is)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 PM) : 

i think he's probably counting my rent money.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Lauren Hutton is going to be 62 in November. Need I say more?

 

Blogger Lady Apple said ... (5:47 PM) : 

this is great! i think older men can make lots of outfits look just fine...somehow as a man ages he just seems to look more "classic"...and i love the pumas!!! especially that he wore them without socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

I'm not sure about the shoes. I'd go with leather instead.

 

Blogger Queenie said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Love the guy's colors. Fun and jaunty. I also like the way that the intensity of all of the colors is somewhat the same and the whole thing works.
His clothes echo the way I want my spirit to look, vibrant, colorful, and confident.
Hell, 40 is the new 10, at least it is in MY case.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 PM) : 

AT HIS AGE, IF YOU HAVE YOUR HEALTH YOUR BATING A THOUSAND, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T SIXTY IS WHAT IT USE TO BE, IT ISN'T THE NEW FORTY , SIXTY IS SIXTY AND FORTY IS FORTY, HAVING SAID THAT- I THINK FROM WHAT HE CHOSE TO WEAR HE SEEM TO BE AN ARTISTIC PERSON AND HAVING FUN WITH THE PATTERNS AND HAPPY PEARING OF COLOR.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting