This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Fashion Icon - Mary Tyler Moore

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fashion Icon - Mary Tyler Moore

Really, what needs to be said.

She was a big part of two sitcoms that help define thier era.

I could watch The Mary Tyler Moore Show everyday, I grew up listening to my family laugh with that show. Does it get any better than Ted Baxter and Mr. Grant?

Mr: Grant to Mary " You've got spunk kid"
Mary: "Thanks, Mr. Grant"
Mr. Grant "I hate spunk"

I guess Felix and Oscar are pretty close but they didn't have a Mary to highlght the humanity/stupidity of oridinary men.


Is there a modern Mary Tyler Moore on TV or movies?

Natalie Portman?

Comments on "Fashion Icon - Mary Tyler Moore"

 

Blogger Francois said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Your blog and Latté is getting to be an habit in the morning. I always found that MTM was a bit like Doris Day until I saw her in Ordinary People with Timothy Hutton and Donald Sutherland. She was not exactly funny in that movie, yet showed her qualities as a dramatic actress.
Your picture is very good, it shows her as saying; how nice to remember me.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Your blog and coffee first up in the morning for me too!

Natalie Portman? My initial reaction is no. (Even though I loved her in Closer - thought she was the only sympathetic character in the movie - and I thought she was perfect as Padmé. She was like Carrie Fisher - a young-old face. Good casting.) But obviously my caffeine hasn't kicked in and the only alternatives I can think of are dizzy blondes (no offence) which are all way off base. Now all I will think about today is "who is today's Mary Tyler Moore"?!

 

Blogger Gigi said ... (9:52 AM) : 

What a wonderful surprise to find one of my favorite actresses on your site this morning! As usual, she looks fabulous!

 

Blogger Elessa said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Meravigliosa...ha uno stile personale molto chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

I loved her in Flirting With Disaster. She's a fox.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

Fantastic. I'd love to see you post about some other style icons whom you consider to be important.

I don't think America really has an actress that one could compare with her today. Perhaps Lisa Kudrow? But she doesn't have the fashion sense that makes MTM a fashion icon. And picking someone such as Sarah Jessica Parker trivialises the concept. Hmm. Tough one.

 

Blogger Gidget Bananas said ... (1:14 PM) : 

I love her trousers -- she looks great, and happy!

 

Blogger PJS said ... (1:42 PM) : 

MTM's heir apparent... ten years ago I would have said Calista Flockhart. One year ago I would have said Debra Messing. Now?

Probably nobody.

 

Blogger Fernanda Guedes said ... (4:30 PM) : 

Mary Tyler Moore is the best! As a child I used to dream that I was crossing the street and tossing my hat just like her.
My opinion is that Natalie Portman is an wonderful actress but too young... Debra Messing from Will and Grace could do good as MTM.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:06 PM) : 

hey sart,
think i walked by you at starbucks this morning. congrats on GQ -- i hope it only gets better!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

she needs a new bag desperately --- mulberry should dial her number --- that print is so played

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (6:15 PM) : 

This is a tricky one. If we are talking about a working woman style in a given time...I would dare to say that we have to segment this by age, profession, and interests. Mary Tyler Moore is an icon for many (Not for me, I'm afraid) that symbolizes women's struggle in a culture of gender bias. If that is the parameter we have from Jerri Blank (strangers with candy's Amy Sedaris) to Tyra Banks...maybe Oprah?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Jennifer Aniston has set quite a few trends. Maybe not so much now... but still.
~Libby

 

Blogger SuMisura said ... (12:00 AM) : 

Debra Messing and Natalie Portman are all good picks, but for some reason I gotta throw some love to Ann Hathaway on this one...

Liked what she brought to "Devil Wears" and got that whole MTM feel; spunkiness, awkward yet confident and determined.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 AM) : 

Katie Couric has the MTM personality (upbeat) but supposedly she is real (?) and Katie is petite while MTM was statuesque, towering over Mr. Grant. Also, Katie has trouble staying brunette....

 

Blogger 'signorina' said ... (3:15 AM) : 

If she hadn't become synonymous in our minds with Carrie Bradshaw, I would have said SJP as a MTM. Or potentially Julia Roberts, for the pratfall ability. (Although I think MTM's range is a bit better.) Not Natalie Portman, though - I can't figure that one out at all.

What a great shot! She looks fabulous. Would love to peek inside her shopping bag...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I have to agree with Sumisura--Anne Hathaway is a good candidate. Perky, slightly imperfect, and completely loveable.

 

Blogger priscilla said ... (1:35 PM) : 

I loved her as Laura Petry. She was so adorable! I still love her look on that show...very classic.

Reese Witherspoon as the new MTM...I agree with that one. Debra Messing to me is more Lucille Ball...and that's a compliment.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 AM) : 

If Jennifer Aniston would dress up a bit she could probably pull off a good imitation of MTM. She's definitely the closest thing to "America's Sweetheart" we have going these days.

Reese Witherspoon and Anne Hathaway would be runners-up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Give Amy Adams a couple more years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

natalie portman --> modern version of a rebellious audrey hepburn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

What about Rachel McAdams?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

I'd have to say Tina Fey in 30 Rock...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting