This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street........Couple Of One-Piece Dressers, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, July 17, 2006

On The Street........Couple Of One-Piece Dressers, New York


I love when style travels in pairs.
I have always thought about wearing a jumpsuit like this guy but I have never been in s situation that I thought to myself "If only I had worn my jumpsuit". If it was light weight enough maybe as a swim cover-up on a cool California evening while having one of the cookouts on the beach - unfortunately we don't have many of those in Manhattan

Comments on "On The Street........Couple Of One-Piece Dressers, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

I thought the jump suit when out when Pete Townshend grew up. Just showing my age I suppose.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

the jump suit is not out; it is very much in. not, however, when it is tailored like that, rolled up, and paired with what appear to be birkenstocks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Hurrah for girls who don't tan! :)

 

Blogger Gidget Bananas said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Love the dress.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:30 AM) : 

That woker-chic-look is so hot!

I have two jumpsuit stories. Be forwarned, this post is long ... but as you will see, I have great nostalgia for the jumpsuit ... and I'm not even that old ... yet!

First: My great-uncle, who has lived in Berkeley since way before the Summer of Love, literally lives in jumpsuits. Other than the black open-collar suit he wore to my grandmother's funeral, I have only seen him in one of what I believe are just two classic jumpsuits (with the metal buckle in the front) that he has owned for years. Let me reiterate. My uncle's daily choice of clothing is, yes, the jumpsuit! I am dying to tell you his profession, but I do not want to disclose to much information ... Needless to say, I think I have a book ...

My other jumpsuit story is from a generation closer to my own. The setting is "Wild Wonderful West Virginia". After coming off the river, an old boyfriend, who was a kayaker/barristo, would lounge on the front porch, usually with a beer in hand, in a jumpsuit, of course ... much more comfy than a wetsuit, afterall.

Not too long a go, I kissed a visiting sculptor from Japan who melted my heart while he was wearing -- a grey jumpsuit and clear plastic goggles! So, that's a third story.

It takes a special kind of guy to pull off the jumpsuit.

I didn't mean to write so much, but, Sarto, thanks for the photo!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Somehow he does carry this off. (Perhaps it's Stella McCartney?!) But I doubt many guys could get away with it. It's like walking a tightrope - one false move or a flash high wind and you're gone.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Hang on, are you saying you OWN a jumpsuit?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

just plain cute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

Just thought I'd pick a nit. The fellow in your photo is wearing coveralls, not a jumpsuit. Coveralls are, as the name implies, garments designed to cover and protect everything worn, or not worn, underneath. When I had a real job, truck driving as opposed to lawyering, I always carried a set of coveralls to don over my uniform if I had to work on the truck. A jumpsuit, strictly speaking, is designed for flying, and potentially jumping out of, airplanes. The designs of the two garments differ based upon their differing functions.

Now I recognize that, when transported from the world of the utilitarian to the world of fashion, the one piece outer garment has been called a jumpsuit, whatever its design origin. But, as best I can tell from the picture, your subject is wearing a real set of coveralls, not a fashion item, and he should be given proper credit for doing so.

Yours truly,

Dickie Carhartt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

men in jumpsuits- yes.

 

Blogger Broady said ... (4:42 PM) : 

I once wore a Chevron mechanic's coverall for Halloween, complete with my own windshild wiper fluid and a greasy rag hanging out of my pocket. I looked better than him.

She's cute, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

awesome look .... and no flip-flops , even better

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

separatelly they would have been quite stange, but together they're so cute. ah, l'amour!!!

 

Blogger Frida said ... (5:32 PM) : 

naaah, jumpsuits on men don't do it for me, but I love the girls dress!

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (6:13 PM) : 

The dude will not make it without the girl.
Both of them seem out of a scooter scene.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Ha Ha, no Alice, i do not own a jumpsuit.....yet!

Thanks for the insight Mr. Carhartt, i stand corrected

 

Blogger 'signorina' said ... (7:23 PM) : 

The cute shaggy hair, glasses and self-deprecating look help him to get away with it. Oh well. I guess it's hot in New York...time to bring out the boiler suits. (Boom tish.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

i just want to say that this is the best website ever. it's like new york magazine's "the look book" for instant gratification cravers. thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 PM) : 

I hope that all the wise comments that have been given, give you pause to ever makeing your dream of wearing a jumpsuit a reality.

I just thought a place besides your California fantasy were men wear jumpsiuts and never look out place..... prison

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 PM) : 

I hope that all the wise comments that have been given, give you pause to ever making your dream of wearing a jumpsuit a reality.

I just thought a place besides your California fantasy were men wear jumpsiuts and never look out place..... prison

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:40 AM) : 

Dickie Carhartt, your comments were very enlightening. i love how we can have such serious conversations about fashion and clothing on this website. sart has really created such a great online space. sart, you rock!

his coveralls remind me of pajama onesies... he's cute, and i can imagine getting him in bed and ripping the whole thing off of him in one fell swoop...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

i wish i could sew better so i could just make a dress like that. i love the oversize print.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:19 PM) : 

Dickie Carhartt- now THAT is a sense of humor, well played sir! I got a great laugh out of that one!

Come on Sart, you caught it...

She's adorable, his look not so much..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

You actually think he looks good???

 

Blogger Kelli said ... (4:16 PM) : 

Both of them have their own style but they're definitely together. I cannot imagine they left the house planning to be one-piecers but there they were. They look like they would be a lot of fun to hang out with.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:33 AM) : 

she's beyond adorable with her large glasses, handmade jumper and cobbled shoes---she makes him look good. he's lucky to be standing next to her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

There is a thin line between a baggy jumpsuit and sweats pants. The Birkenstocks change the rebelliousness of the jumpsuit all together. Untied boots would have given him more of an edge.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting