This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Update On The Street....Refined Casual, Upper East Side

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Update On The Street....Refined Casual, Upper East Side

I just wanted to say that I didn't do this post to get him back or for revenge. When I took this photo I reminded him of that story and we both had a good laugh.

Actually, at the time, I was probably much more of a pain to work with than him because I was so young and eager and my enthusiasm far outweighed my talent at that point. I also remember he really saved my ass on something that happened with Nordstrom that he somehow was able to cover for me,

Like I said it was not revenge just an honest, funny story of starting in the fashion business. I was a little surprised no one made a comment about my "5-button" suit.


I use to work with this guy when I first moved to New York in the early 90's. Actually ,in his case, I use the term "work" very loosely and I don't think he would disagree.
As you can see he is the epitome of Trad. Upper East Side Chic (except for the man bag). I remember when I bought my first Armani suit in '92ish - I was around 22. I was so proud and I was sure everyone loved Armani as much as I did. I walked into this gentleman's office that morning while he was eating breakfast with a couple of my coworkers. He asked me all about my new suit - I made sure to point out this was the new "5-button model". He seemed very pleased by that.
I don't think the full weight of his sarcastic interest in my suit really hit me until about lunchtime - that was my first introduction to the vicious style tribes of New York fashion.
I can laugh about it now because I just added about 30 pounds to him in Photoshop, (just kidding)

Comments on "Update On The Street....Refined Casual, Upper East Side"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 AM) : 

Not a big fan of this look. He's a bit too thick to pull this tucked in sweeter look/belt with shorts look off. The flip-flops just adds up to sloppy.

I think height to body proportion is the best style secret around.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Sartorialist, I think you're slipping. I don't see anything chic about this guy, he's even too over weight for the "look" which show no imagination what so ever! Look a lttle harder!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Anon 9:54am

did you read what I posted? his style is a very important part of the story.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Great post!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Sarto,

Could you define "Trad". Not only do I love fashion, but I also love neologisms:)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Oh, she is not all that skinny, and the flip flops are nice. Overall the look is quite comfortable, clean and city smart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Please - someone - make flipflops go away! I beg you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

flops are terrible

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

I like that belt , can you get a close-up of the clasp

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 PM) : 

Sarto,

Seinfeld notwithstanding, I find mabags to be incredibly practical. Yet, I haven't mustered the courage to buy one. Your take?

Thanks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger Fnarf said ... (12:02 AM) : 

Thank you, Alessandra, for that!

Nothing excuses that belt, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 AM) : 

One of the things which makes The Sartorialist such a joy to read is its straightforward appreciation of style as opposed to "sarcastic interest". Please don't turn into a fashion bitch - it doesn't serve you well.

Greetings from London, by the way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

Sarto-
Do you mean those elongated Armani jackets that buttoned at the top collar?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

Good story! I love that green.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 PM) : 

Let's just say it's his personal style and I think his flip-flops are ok because it's not like he wears them at work, right?

Sometimes I think people with casual style are the people who really have self-confidence about what they are wearing, and these people tend to look good all the time too.

-VD-

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting