This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Style Profile.....Glenn O'Brien, GQ's Style Guy

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, June 05, 2006

Style Profile.....Glenn O'Brien, GQ's Style Guy

Glenn O'Brien has been the "The Style Guy" at GQ for years. He has helped countless gentleman define and refine their style. I met Glenn recently and asked him a few questions about his personal style. I have to admit that I have big respect for any guy over 40 who can wear Supreme with Hermes and make it look good.
Best Sartorial advice from your Dad?
I never knew my father but my grandfather said never buy a car you can't wear your hat in. (He wore a homburg.)

You build your daily look around your?
My mood.

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist’s outfit.
Shoes and where the trousers meet them.

I skimp when buying.
I like generic white handkerchiefs and Colgate toothpaste.

I splurge when buying.
I have my suits made in London by John Pearse and Anderson & Sheppard.
(note that the suit he is wearing in the photo is a John Pearse navy pintsrtipe denim DB!)


I always break this fashion rule.
GQ says your socks should match your trousers. I think socks should freelance.

I never break this fashion rule.
I religiously wait until Memorial day to bring out the white.

Must have item for Fall 2006
A new "coppola" from Sicily.

Favorite store
Hermes, Supreme

Style icon
Thelonious Monk, James Coburn

Worst fashion mistake
Shirt tail out, not knowing where your waist is.

Most cherished item
My Anderson & Sheppard tuxedo

Favorite item of clothing
John Pearse double breasted pinstripe denim suit.

Favorite “fashiony” movie
Blow Up

Guilty pleasure
Pasta, Fiorduva white wine from Marisa Cuomo in Furore ($)

Describe your personal style
Moody

You feel best wearing?
Belgian shoes, Supreme jeans, Hermes sweater

Personal Style quirk
When it comes to my feet comfort comes first

Dress to impress who?
Dress to express myself.

Most overrated item in menswear
Leather.

Most underrated item in menswear
The tie.

Most stylish city?
Rome

Never caught wearing?
Basketball shoes

When I was in high school I wore?
Clashing madras

Shine your own shoes?
Half the time.

Hobby?
reading, bridge (when I can find 4)

Sports?
Golf, ping pong

Favorite fashion magazine?
Italian Vogue.

Favorite other magazine?
Purple, Self-Service, Another Man

Cologne, skincare?
Hermes Rocobar, Kiehls, Pat Wexler's pink goo vs. old age

I always dress my best for….?
Occasions when my wife has changed her clothes several times before we go out.

Comments on "Style Profile.....Glenn O'Brien, GQ's Style Guy"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

I am quite surprised to seeing him mention Supreme. Although Supreme is huge right now in streetwear fashion I would not think it would be a favorite of his.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:14 AM) : 

yes. thanks i did mean '06

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

I really like his column. His personal style is interesting. Also interesting that he doesn't match his socks to his trousers, even though he tells others they must!!

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (6:34 PM) : 

The freelancing socks made me chuckle. I'm with him! I wonder how free he lets his socks be.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

I've always considered the Memorial Day white rule a female thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 AM) : 

yeah didnt i see this guy waiting in line for 2 days for those new supreme dunks???? j/k

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 AM) : 

I think it's odd that someone with such eclectic personal taste dishes out pretty by-the-book advice in his column. I guess you have to follow the rules before you can break 'em...

Please ask him to model the Supreme jeans. That I cannot picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I was wondering about the jeans as well. I wonder how he pulls off supreme jeans in a refined way.

 

Blogger Max said ... (1:29 AM) : 

Love the bowtie and most of his advice in "style guy."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 AM) : 

i like the overcoat

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting