This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.... Refined Sportswear#4, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

On The Street.... Refined Sportswear#4, New York

I have one goal this summer - give guys some direction and inspiration on how to do summer casual in a more refined way. I can't take another city summer of cargo shorts and logo tees. Granted, doing refined casual is so much more difficult in the height of summer than it is in the depths of winter but I will keep my eyes peeled for the guys that are doing it right.

What I really liked here was the green,pink, blue color combo.

The shoes also drew my attention. A friend of mine that lives in Florida mentioned he likes to wear shorts but couldn't decide on the shoes. He suggested leather sandals, I suggested leather mocs - Tods or J Crew both do a great version. I won't be seen with him in leather sandals.

Comments on "On The Street.... Refined Sportswear#4, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

OMG I hate leather sandals. Those giant birkenstock looking thins that scrape the ground when the man walks. Akin to thongs but louder and horrid looking. Cave men had better footwear.

How do we stop this menace?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

i agree entirley, this is the way a refind man should dress. and i love the shoes, ive been looking for a pair of my own in womens, any ideas where i can find them?

 

Blogger Her Henna said ... (7:40 PM) : 

Maybe I'm retarded. Layers in the summer?

 

Blogger Fnarf said ... (7:49 PM) : 

Oh, lord I couldn't agree with you more. But here I sit in my cargo shorts. Finding shorts that don't suck is HARD. They're all a foot too long with too many flap pockets and cargo pockets and cell phone pockets and I don't know what-all kind of giant pockets. It makes me want to cry. And, yes, my ass does look fat in these.

The only problem with this guy is, the sweater's going to be too much pretty soon. Please, somebody, make a moderately flattering COOL shirt for fat guys....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

leather mocs are the way to go.... they embellish any shorts..... they even make the cargo pants look OK --- almost

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

I agree that finding good shorts is often hard. Consider doing what I've done a few times: if you have a pair (or find a pair) of light pants that fit just right, then sacrifice them and have your tailor make them into shorts.

- Eminence Grise

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

In response to fnarf's plea for a flattering summer shirt for (fat) guys: have you tried the guayabera?

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (11:39 PM) : 

I like this look - he looks comfy thats for sure.
are they driving shoes? men and sandals are a big no no in my book
men in sandals with socks is even worse!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 AM) : 

I'm glad you've made it a goal to help with summer clothing. I agree that dressing stylishly in the summer is that much harder as your choices are severly limited due to heat.

I love the outfit on the guy, but can't see myself weaing two layers (one of them being a sweater) in 90 F heat.

Maybe I'm the only one that can't wear a suit or sweater in 90 F heat without looking like I just fell in a pool.

I look forward to more summer style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 AM) : 

hey--that's my brother-in-law! well...not really but it could be--he's a dead ringer :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 AM) : 

yes, the colorcombo is delicious. he's so casually well put together, you'd almost think it accidental.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:31 AM) : 

again dont be so literal
I said i like the color combo, it could be done with a pink shirt and green belt

Don't forget though that by posting these photos it gives us a better read as we easy into summer. I always think of June as being warmer but next year i can look back at this and remember that it can still be cool enough for a light sweater as late as June 7th.

That to me is valuable - at least if you live in the Northeast

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Bermudas seem to be (finally) replacing cargos as the short du jour, along the lines of your guy in the yellow ones.
They are long enough and have a nice, clean silhouette. J. crew, Rugby, AE and H&M, Urban, Monaco all have diffrent ones at diffrent prices.
Seersucker, patchwork and madras are nice choices.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

It you must do leather sandals, YSL has killer fisherman sandals that mold to your feel like they are custom made and at $515 a pop, they should!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

I generally agree with you, but um, once it starts getting into the meat of the summer, I'm not wearing a freakin' sweater. It's a great look for early summer/late spring, but not in July when its 88 degrees outside.

 

Blogger Max said ... (1:05 PM) : 

Loving this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

While i don't love the colors per se , together they work well together ... and the mocs add a touch of refinement rather than dopey sandals or flip-flops...... great site Sartor , keep up the good work

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Flip-floppers and sliders of the world unite!

- Eminence Grise

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

all i know is i like your blog. i like that you cover what real people wear. and that you are open to all [?] styles. this outfit or style isn't for me but i like the colours, and i like a man who makes an effort.

about sacrificing a good pair of pants to be made into shorts, i think it's a good idea to have them copied by a tailor and made shorter instead of sacrificing them. then you can have more in the future. i am still mourning a beautiful pair of elephant leg jeans that i gave up due to the hem fraying. duh. duh. duh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 PM) : 

I'm sorry, you may snark this, but I think shorts (not too short) and old loafers, like the ones you can't get rid of because they were you're first and you keep getting them resoled, is my favorite look. It's classic and refined. That guy looks a little hot and uncomfortable.

 

Blogger Fnarf said ... (2:52 AM) : 

Exactly. Even if I would never in a million years wear what this guy is wearing, the fact that he's wearing it makes it right. It's all about being ON PURPOSE, isn't it?

I won't wear thongs, even $600 ones, because between my toes is too sensitive, but if you can BRING IT, bring it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

leather sandals are for jesus only...and gladiators

but im all for green and pink and some beach boys endless summer

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 PM) : 

You guys actually think that looks good? There's nothing good about that outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Sharp sweater.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting