This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.... Nolita White Dress, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, June 05, 2006

On The Street.... Nolita White Dress, New York

Comments on "On The Street.... Nolita White Dress, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

She looks good but her ankle strap sandal? Simply not recommended for woman with big legs. But the sandal could have look better on her if the front sole is 2cm thicker/higher, which I'm sure it will balance her legs.

Btw, I'm not into braless either ;P

-VD-

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I disagree, I think in this case it helps define and give shape to her her legs

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

I think the shoe is fabulous. I think she looks fabulous, I must immediately go shopping.

The colors and the composition of the picture are both wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 PM) : 

Too much clunk. She needs less shoe.

 

Blogger Boston said ... (7:57 PM) : 

I have to agree with the sartorialist. I have "big legs" and love wearing ankle strap sandals with skirts of that length. In my experience, the combination yields much positive feedback from the opposite gender.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 PM) : 

I love the background in the photo... the door. Somehow I could see this photo in black and white too. Sort of old world charm. I like the way she is holding the shopping bag and the expression on her face.

 

Blogger Cocktail Jen said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Did you get the info on the shoe? I want a pair myself.

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (9:31 PM) : 

lovely simple style - great paper bag heehee perfect matching shade!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Having big legs has always deterred me from wearing ankle strap sandals, but seeing this woman in hers makes me think that it's not so bad. She looks really good in those shoes.

 

Blogger stylethread said ... (11:00 PM) : 

I love this. I love the white cotton (is it eyelet?), the empire waist, and it's overall simplicity. The wedges really seem to ground the ethereal nature of the dress and balance the silhouette nicely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

Her legs look great, I wouldn't describe them as thick! It is nice to see a woman on this site who isn't super skinny. There are lots of pics of old men with bellies, but almost all of the women are stick thin and 8 feet tall!

 

Blogger Ada said ... (1:22 AM) : 

She's beautiful.

 

Blogger New Yorkaise said ... (1:31 AM) : 

Gorgeous Theory dress!

 

Blogger Last Day Emails said ... (1:39 AM) : 

She is strikingly beautiful and I love how her expression is both maternal/feminine and strong. Thank you Sartorialist for finding her! She demonstrates perfectly that skinnyness is not a prerequisite to beauty.

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (1:52 AM) : 

gosh a lot of posts about her legs - they look great and not that big IMO
the shoe doesnt make them look stumpy at all - the dress length is perfect - shows off the perfect part of her leg!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:28 AM) : 

I love it. Its simplicity in a woman that has a classic beauty that predates Kate Moss. And I praise those of you who get into it because you should! The wedges define a wonderfully shapely figure. And I agree, the lighting and composition of the setting are amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 AM) : 

i agree it's nice to see a woman who isn't super skinny. she looks lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 AM) : 

she looks fabulous and relaxed - she can handle braless just fine (anyone can, actually, big deal). i would have liked to see a lower heel - look at the not so relaxed arch of her feet-, but the shoe looks good, as do her strong woman's legs. great catch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 AM) : 

This woman's walk must be somethin' else.

-- desertwind

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 AM) : 

Sart is spot on. The shoes are perfect for her. I also like her choice to go without a bra. It gives her ensemble a wee bit of naughty zing, without being vulgar. Without seeing the back of the dress we'll never know if this was a practical necessity. Another great photo BTW.

 

Blogger Shopaholic D said ... (8:09 AM) : 

so pretty! i agree with others, the shoes look good w/ the outfit. i especially like how her makeup (if she's even wearing any) looks so natural!

 

Blogger Gina said ... (10:02 AM) : 

I'm still looking for her BIG legs...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

i think people should wear whatever they want. and i think the ankle strap is about the thickness of the ankle - not the leg. she's got gorgeous, delicate ankles and strong, well toned legs.

i would, however, rethink the upper half of her dress. this looks like one of those max azria dresses where the neckline is adjusted by tightening or loosening the shoulder straps. if she's going to go braless - i'd like to see a more relaxed bodice; something more roman goddess... as she wears it, the dress draws attention to her upper arms and away from that gorgeous neck.

lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

cocktail jen:

the shoe is from the Marc by Marc Jacobs s/s 06 line.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

give the girl a break, she has a nice figure and looks fab!
great pic, sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

She looks lovely, however, I find it troubling that everyone is focusing on her body type. Comments along the lines of "it's great to see a larger woman!" really just highlight and reinforce mainstream beauty standards and bring attention to the fact that her body does not conform to the "desired" type. Why not just agree that she is a beautiful woman and leave it at that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

Big? It would never have occurred to me to label this woman "big" in any way -- she looks fabulous. The dress and sandals fit her perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

No one has mentioned that while the dress and shoes are great, she really could use a better bag. Why do New Yorkers so often insist on using paper shopping bags like handbags?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:38 PM) : 

you're kidding right?

something people outside of the city forget is most New Yorkers don't have cars. That is why you see people carrying two bags or shopping bags a lot more.
We have to carry our stuff from place to place - maybe that is why we stay thin - people in other cities just stuff ALL their stuff in the car. Please don't get me started on the city dumps that i see in stuffed into cars when I travel around the country.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:40 PM) : 

BTW
I think the comments on this posts have been very postive.

One thing i forgot to mention about the dress is the bow on her left shoulder. It might be hard to pick up in the photo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 PM) : 

The same day this was posted, Kelly Monaco wore the same dress on General Hospital. Sad that I know that. Very sad. It was very cute on TV as well, though. The shoulder bow really makes the dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 PM) : 

She is lovely! As for the "big" comments: take away the huge wedge shoe and she looks like she might be about 5'2" or 3" and *maaaaybe* a size 8 or small 10. If one keeps in mind that the door behind her is pretty narrow, you'll notice that, proportionally, she really isn't that big at all. I could understand no straps for someone really fat with cankles, but aside from an overly tall wedge I think they look great on her and really pull the outfit together.
Me, I'm Big. I'm 5'6" and 215 and I'd wear that outfit in a heartbeat if that dress came in a size 18. Braless to boot! :p
~Miss B

 

Blogger Last Day Emails said ... (12:47 AM) : 

Anon 12:59: are you saying that I should suppress expressing my happiness that a non-skinny woman is being celebrated, because by pointing this out, I've somehow contributed to the only-skinny is beautiful myth?

Furthermore, there is a fine and important line between "highlighting" (i.e., pointing out) and "reinforcing" (i.e., advocating). And comments about how great she looks even though she doesn't fall into the thin mold certainly "highlight" but definitely do not "reinforce" the skinny stereotype.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

maybe she is carrying a pair of flip-flops in that bloomie's bag. when I was working in manhattan, that's what I used to do, carry comfy shoes for commuting, and painful but cute ones for work/dinner etc.
I doubt she is a size 10, more like a 6-8. Yes, there are lots of size 2-4's on this site, but believe me, NY has a diverse range of beautiful and stylish women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 PM) : 

this woman looks so sexy.

re: 6:06 pm's comment about nyc'ers carrying paper bags everywhere: have you ever heard the phrase "reduce, reuse, recycle"?

re: her shoes: i think i'm probably the only one around here who feels this way but... as much as i love a wedge heel i think she would look even more fabulous in a flat of some sort. just seeing the arch of her foot puts me in pain.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I'm the bag commenter, and I was criticizing the *style* of the bag
(that's what this site's about, no?) not its utility or it contents.

I live in NYC, I've only owned a car for all of 1 year of my life, and have commuted by bike for most of the rest. I put *everything* in bags and tote it with me. Including extra bags, so that I don't accumulate new paper/plastic ones. Shopping bags are wasteful, and I like logo bags about as much as I like logo tees.

Reduce, reuse, recycle: I agree completely. Carry your own (attractive) bag, and you don't need the ugly brown paper ones in the first place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

She damn saxy wooman. Dress is beautiful. I like it, braless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

She's absolutely gorgeous and sexy and her legs look great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

Fab hipster look! Naughty twist going braless (as we all know is very "in" these days). You look gr8 dawling....

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting