This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

"Freelancing" Socks

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

"Freelancing" Socks


-I shot this the day I ran the Glenn O'Brien profile so maybe I had "freelancing socks" fresh on my mind but the navy socks with the khaki suit are perfect. To me, it is the little details like this that separate a Sartorialist from the simply well dressed.

-Great suit, great fit and great pant length

Comments on ""Freelancing" Socks"

 

Blogger Solomon Animashaun said ... (8:47 AM) : 

I agree....the little details really do have a big impact on how one is percieved.

 

Blogger Claudio Moro said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Yes, indeed. Great suit and the length of the pants seems to be perfect.

Clean style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Wow, that is a great cotton suit. You can tell so much about it just from the details of the back view. I would have liked to have seen the front to see his choice of pocket square and tie.

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (10:44 AM) : 

I would have like to see the front. And I would have prefered more interesting socks. But that's just me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

Regarding free-lance socks: I know a gentleman who makes it a habit of wearing bright socks with his bespoke suits (pale yellow socks with charcoal and navy suits, etc). His most interesting choice-In Rome he buys red socks at an ecclesiatical clothier made for Cardinals. The flash of color works surprisingly well, not unlike the effect of a red-lined tux.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

His pants are too high, don't you think, or is that part of the Thom Browne look? (The rest of the suit is tailored perfectly -- waist is perfect, arm length perfect, shoulders look great.) Also, I agree the socks look great with the suit, but my suspicion is he just threw them on. Almost all my socks are navy. Did you talk to him, Sarto?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I'm going to have to dissent on the navy socks with the khaki suit and the caramel shoes. The color is too dark/heavy for the ensemble (although we don't have a view of his shirt and tie). I'm a fan of not matching the color of the socks to the color of the suit, but a little more balance may be in order (pale yellow, pink, mint green).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:40 PM) : 

Socks should match the pants or shoes... maybe a pattern would be in order

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

His suit appears to be perfect to the millimeter. The shirt and shoes appear to be very complimentary. Such sartorial brio buys you a lot of leeway in my book. That said, I'm not sure that solid navy socks were his best choice. Perhaps no socks at all?

- Eminence Grise

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

i think the lenght of his pants is right and socks will naturally show. the socks don't have to match the pants so long as there's a contrast in my humble opinion.

i don't think this is a thome browne suit because the jacket is cut longer than a thome browne jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 AM) : 

I love those light suits in cotton for summer. I used to wear a Brook's one but this year I've bought a Gucci´s... It´s a colour that in Europe we call something like "White frozen". Very streech pants and jacket, an rather wide lapels make me seem a little Alain Delon. Suede loafers in dark brown and a seventies-like belt are perfect to feel like in the French Riviera.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

And if all else fails, there's nothing like the rakish ease of a well turned (and tanned) ankle.
That usually does the trick!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 AM) : 

So can the Sartorialist or someone clarify for me please: suit pants which are a little shorter than they should be, showing socks, are a fashionable look?
Cheers.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:20 AM) : 

A pant with little or no break is not "a fashion" but a common style worn by Italian gentleman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

I like the navy socks with the tan suit.

I think the flood pants look silly, however. I realize it's Italian. But it is also silly. It is both Italian and silly. Other things that are both Italian and silly: fascism, multistratified bureacracy, cars that don't start in the rain.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting