This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Richard Chai - In Studio

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, May 01, 2006

Richard Chai - In Studio

I met Richard Chai the other day. He really pissed me off that he wasn't doing his own collection when I had my showroom. He is just the type of designer that I love to work with - smart, talented, and able (and willing) to talk about subjects other than fashion. Actually, one of the first things we talked about is why he has never really been grouped with the Behnaz/Som/Lam clique, even though they all started about the same time and would hang next to each other in stores. We agreed that it is his very refined aesthetic smashed up against a strong downtown attitude that gives him a unique position in the New York young designer hierarchy. I thought the bike in the corner that he rides to work each day was so representative of the lack of preciousness about his work.

I described him as smart earlier, why do I say smart? He knew that I was there to talk about is work with the new Onward Kashiyama store/brand Nave. Well ,of course, I kept getting off-subject as we compared notes on similar experiences working with Kashiyama (I was there in the 90's), the challenges of beginning a company, and growing up in New York but somehow he kept working Nave into his answers - smart.

Richard had to leave for Korea the morning after we met so I gave him an edited list of the questions that you ,the readers, emailed to me. As soon as he returns I will be posting his responses.

Comments on "Richard Chai - In Studio"

 

Blogger High Power Rocketry said ... (9:48 AM) : 

: )

 

Blogger O-Ren said ... (12:24 PM) : 

Fantastic! I can't wait to read his responses :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

I am curious as to why he chose to cover his eyes for the shot...

Looking forward to the interview.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 PM) : 

nice watch

 

Blogger ML said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Fantastic mode of transportation. I wish you had taken a photo of him riding it!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (3:19 PM) : 

The shot of him covering his eyes is just one of many that i took during the course of our conversation
he is a very handsome man so you will see him from a lot of different angles

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

Yes,
Talented and VERY handsome!

 

Blogger Ali B. said ... (6:12 PM) : 

I wonder if Richard needs a new/used pair of Shimano clipless pedals... ride on Richard!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Yes, he is very talented and his brother too.

I love the colors of the outfits he wears - grey, brown, navy, light blue and other soft colors - and he wears sneakers too.

-VD-

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Who is his brother?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 AM) : 

Seeing a BMX bike on The Sartorialist stood out to me as I ride BMX bikes for a "living"; however most people who ride know or care little about fashion. Although his bike looks like it's set up more for transportation(high seat post), I found it interesting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 AM) : 

Can you post some pictures of him without his face covered? He is delicious to look at.

 

Blogger o s a k a said ... (4:56 AM) : 

what can I say...

werll I wish I were in NY city, and not in Sapin. You live in the geographic centre of my world, and you're doing the things I love the best.

Congratulations again

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting