This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street...Madison Ave., New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, April 02, 2006

On The Street...Madison Ave., New York

Comments on "On The Street...Madison Ave., New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

Great outfit! But I am sure someone from Styleforum is going to say "the pants are too long". Also, it strikes me that African Americans are the only ones who can probably "pull off" these kind of outfit. I can't imagine a white guy looking great in that combo... but maybe you'll prove me wrong some day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

Dispatch from the front lines...from another black guy.

This outfit would have so worked on a guy his age, but like so many of my black dude brethren, he lost it at the shoes. Those shoes are not right with that get up. It takes a potentially classic look and makes it look almost clownish.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a guy with a incredible outfit on, and it's topped off with a pair of $400 UGLY AS SIN shoes. Expensive does not equal chic.

 

Blogger Mike Paget said ... (11:17 PM) : 

I'm not sure of the pedigree of matching shoes like that, but I don't think it falls totally apart.

I'm impressed by a few pictures here on sartorialist where I see gentlemen putting gloves in the breast pocket of a jacket. I don't know if it is the cheapness of my jackets, or of my gloves, or both, but I feel like I have a massive leather boob anytime I do it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

As ANOTHER black guy, I think the shoes are perfectly fine. This man is old school, like my uncles that are his age and his choice of shoes and accessories comes from a heritage that probably started in the forties and fifties:it's dandified, slick and sharp. This man was a cool dude in the fifties,sixties, seventies,eighties- all the way up to now. Shoes are very important to black men, so I'm quite sure he put alot of thought into how they work with this particular outfit.
There are alot of diffrent ways for men to dress and I'm glad, Sartorialist that you give credit to everyone!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 AM) : 

I think he looks incredibly dapper. My only issue with the shoes is that I think they're a little too spring/summer to be worn with an overcoat. I think the shoes are great, but they're not really weather-appropriate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 AM) : 

A little costumey but he seems to pull it off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 AM) : 

The shoes go with the look. I think its the light blue topcoat that is the most wild in the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 AM) : 

i think the shoes totally complete the look. shoes like those put the entire outfit up to a whole new level, if you know what i mean.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

I love the cleanliness and the diginity.

Another excellent photo capture. Great light in NYC yesterday?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Ah and to think a saw this entire rendition of this outfit yesterday in Pink! Even had shoes and sun glasses.

This out fit and shoes are quite dandy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I agree with dutronc in that the coat seems to me to be the most jarring aspect of the ensemble. Imagine this same with a camel or, better, chocolate brown coat...?

 

Blogger [A] said ... (2:52 PM) : 

hi! i´m a fashion designer and i really love your blog! great idea!
this way i stay in touch with the real NY fashion.
sorry for my english...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Hmm, am I the only one who thinks that he looks like a doorman?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 AM) : 

"Hmm, am I the only one who thinks that he looks like a doorman?"


I REST MY CASE!
From the first black guy commenter,

:^)

 

Blogger Julia said ... (2:13 AM) : 

He does look like a doorman, and gosh he looks like he'd be fun to hang out with for an afternoon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Lovely.

There's an older gent who I see walking home after church on Sundays sometimes, and he's got that same classic-dandy thing going on. He'll walk down a street crowded with folks in baggy jeans and oversized jerseys, like a little sea of civility unto himself.

(Also, I am looking forward to the Easter Sunday hats that some of the black ladies around here wear every year! Amazing, beautiful, things.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

Okay. I've been a good girl and haven't said anything until now. When I first glanced at this gent, I thought, "Oh, how nice that The Sartorialist is snapping pics of stylish doormen, too." The cause of my too-quick assumption? The cut and color of his coat.

What if the coat had been bright green? Or purple? Or shocking bright blue?

I otherwise love what he is doing with his look. It is so dandy Old New York.

- AthenaNY

 

Blogger Sara said ... (4:02 PM) : 

He looks dapper!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

He's a salesman ay Barneys and a wonderful guy. He would probably be appalled that he was mistaken for a doorman! As yet another Black guy commenting on this photo, why do we always have to be confused for staff???? Is it really all about the shoes?

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (11:40 PM) : 

Indeed, he's a suit salesman at Barneys New York, Arthur I. one of the best in his profession, an icon. Mostly wears bespoke or made to measure garments. The many times i've seen him he always had a great bow tie matching perfectly his entire outfit, pretty conservative style, and he rocks! he has this sort of classic jazzy style..thats how I think of it, i'd like to add that all his suits inner lining are red it seems, I took this from him, looks awesum

 

Blogger takai gaijin said ... (8:07 AM) : 

Blue and brown, one of my favourite combinations. The different shades of the hat and bow tie, hardly clashing, bring out the beautiful deep blue of this gentleman's trench coat. Great shot.

 

Blogger The Blasphemous Fiendess said ... (11:10 PM) : 

He looks fantastic. The clothes look expensive but he looks like he is used to wearing expensive and well made clothes.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting