This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Duncan Quinn

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Duncan Quinn

I did a preview of Duncan Qunn's collection for Fall 2006. I wanted to take a few shots but he asked if I could wait - he didn't want anyone to knock-off his idea for shirts and ties. Usually when someone says that it is rarely an idea that anyone would want anyway but I give Duncan credit the idea is pretty cool.

Overall the collection is a nice step forward, especially in the color palette which is slightly darker and a little more sinister. It will probably give his established customer a reason to update their wardrobe and a reason for new customers to give him a closer look.

Comments on "Duncan Quinn"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Duncan's sleeves look to be riding up a bit high? Or are they too short? Overall, I like the look (assuming sleeves are normal length) and DQ is high on my list of labels I look forward to seeing more of. His tie knot is a bit too large for the outfit but the colorway is great and I'd be curious what shoes he's wearing with it all. His shirts are among my favorites and I hope to add one of his suits to my stable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

I normally hate spread collars. But love the big knot, a must with a spread collar. Big knots are way better than small ones no matter the collar or the face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

shorter sleeves...higher cut....seems a little thom browne to me. i don't know if i will ever like the DQ look - a bit too ponsy for me - but that's the point. and it's undeniably english which seems to travel far on this side of the pond. the quality of his clothes is amazing and the panache is refreshing nonetheless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 PM) : 

Ouch! so handsome it hurts! Dont't know about the suit, though.It looks ill-fitted and the shoulder is too pointy. The shirt and tie combo is a refreshing change colorwise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:09 PM) : 

I've two suits from DQ and while I try not to wear them to death, they're certainly my favourites. And the fleur de lis tie/striped suit combo is top notch! Bravo indeed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 PM) : 

it does seem like the suit is a litte too small to my eye. But it's not bad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

Thom Browne is very influential.
Do you think he's going to win the CFDA?

 

Blogger Max said ... (9:54 PM) : 

The suit looks fabulous (he's got the body for it) and the tie is pretty cool with the shirt, but I take serious issue with his hair.

I don't know if it's just the angle that the photograph is taken at, but it looks like there is serious faux hawk abuse going on here. Think messy and a little taller in the middle, not curly mini-mohawk.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 PM) : 

I noticed the faux hawk, too but I now think that it has become one of tne new edgy haircuts and it makes this suit look really, really new (and quite sexy!)

 

Blogger Anne said ... (12:11 AM) : 

A new version of shrunken Charlie Chaplin suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 AM) : 

Very Thom Browneish as previously mentioned. Question is, how practical is a Thom Browne cut?
In addition, the large double Windsor is very passe, even with a cutaway collar. Overdone by British footballers (soccer to you guys) and Italian men in the early 2000's. IMHO, Prince Charles ties the perfect knots.

 

Blogger Max said ... (9:29 AM) : 

I'm sort of burned out on the faux hawk, myself. I just got back from London, where I was assaulted on far too many occasions by some sort of heinous faux hawk/fashion mullet hybrid that has taken over the scalps of dozens of teenage Londoners.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Tom Brown is not an influence on Duncan Quinn, shorter coat lengths are the way forward at the moment. The huntsman look reimagined by Richard James/Oswald Boateng and adopted by Gucci/YSL for so many seasons is rather dated now I think

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 PM) : 

I personally woundn't wear Thom Browne myself- It's far too expensive for what it is, but there is no denying his influnce of the little shrunken suit that he's been wearing and doing for years now. When he first started wearing those suits, the porportions looked out of place, but now, they look just right. It took time for things to adjust, but he started the shift.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

I agree that DQ isn't necessarily influenced by Thom Browne since TB didn't invent the "bum-freezer" (as it's commonly known colloquially) suit, which was pretty fashionable in the early 60s (I've some great old photos and record covers of men wearing such style). But it does look like Quinn is adopting that particular aesthetic into his own line, which I think is great since I've been partial to that kind of cut before anyone heard of Thom Browne.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

I like Browne a lot, and wear it, but contrary to previous posts see no influence here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 PM) : 

I went into Duncan Quinn today, thanks to you, Sartorialist. I'd never been there before and I found the suits quite lovely and the nice young man there who appeared on your blog was very friendly.
As far as this proportion goes and looking at the quality of the tailoring, if I were to buy a little new suit, it would defintely be Duncan Quinn.
Up close- very snappy, sharp and stylish!

 

Blogger The G Manifesto said ... (3:56 PM) : 

I agree, needs a pocket square. Dope tie though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I see no comparison between thome and duncan, instead I think they are two unique men's wear luminaries who push the envelope on style and individuality. Personally I prefer duncan's suits, v much looking forward to the fall...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 PM) : 

Although the DQ look is hotter and sexier than TB.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

ughhhhh when are we going to finally get rid of this style tie or knot, or whatever it is....the name of it escapes me at the moment, but it reminds me of when I was living in europe some years ago and it was all the rage....and his faux hawk should go the way of his tie....in the garbagio....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

This guy's look is naff, as is his website. Really, really uncool, that I would expect to see worn by guys with too much fake tan on, that aspire to buy Cristal. No class.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 PM) : 

actually i believe duncan prefers a good bottle of gevrey chambertin, and wouldn't be seen dead with a bottle of crystal anywhere near him...

 

Blogger UESman said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Duncan Quinn does have very nice custom made and off the rack suits. However, I wouldn't wear them with such slick, British style, as Duncan does here.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (1:21 PM) : 

That photo is FIERCE, Scott. Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 AM) : 

My uncle D is amazing. The colours of his clothes are beautiful.
Accesorise with the DQ umberellas. :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting