This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Breaking The Rules

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Breaking The Rules


A lot of guys I know say they don't pay attention to "the rules" of mens fashion.

Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it is not.

When I ran into Giuseppe de Corato of Luigi Borrelli the other day I asked to take his photo and he kindly accepted. After a few shots I realized his navy blazer wasn't buttoned. Knowing that one of the "rules" of menswear is to always have your jacket buttoned while standing, I mentioned he might want to button-up. He buttoned the jacket and I took a few more shots.

When I reviewed the shots, the ones with his jacket unbuttoned looked so much more natural and so much more like him and his style. The ones with the jacket buttoned felt forced, like a kid going to Sunday School.

I think this is a great example of how a healthy disrespect for "the rules" really works.

Comments on "Breaking The Rules"

 

Blogger Andrew said ... (7:36 PM) : 

Great ponint man! I never obey those rules.

myspace.com/backyardsympathy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 AM) : 

To risk cliche – there really are no rules. What looks bad on one person may look terrific on another. It depends on aesthetics and personal style. I think it's good for us to outgrow "rules" that have really become outmoded and frivolous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

I button a sport coat or suit jacket only when on business, for casual wear or going to and from it is unbuttoned as I find it more physically comfortable, and I do not wear my jackets tight, just a preference.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Nice look, but I'm not entirely sure anyone under the age of 50 follows that rule anymore.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

If you're as cute as this man is it doesn't matter how you wear your jacket.
It's the modern interpretation of being "dressed" and the expession of wearing something in a new way that makes it work for today.
Again, you have such a great eye for subtle nuances.

 

Blogger UESman said ... (10:08 PM) : 

He's got that Italian sprezzatura (if I'm spelling it right), just look at the skewed tie knot and soft shirt collar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 AM) : 

In case you didn't know "color blindness" in Latin means breaking the rules too.

 

Blogger The Blasphemous Fiendess said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I agree. He looks great. Rules are guidelines. A combination of what flatters you, your own tastes and an understanding of the rules for when you are in doubt usually produces the best results. I live in a small community. There isn't much style here so I love to visit the big cities and people watch. That makes your blog like a mini vacation. Thank you.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting