This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Thom Browne Fall 2006 - 5

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Thom Browne Fall 2006 - 5

Comments on "Thom Browne Fall 2006 - 5"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Uh huh?

Shorts with garters showing?
French cuffs undone with a mink (muskrat?) coat? Somethng like a
dinner coat and tie.

Sorry. I may be showing my inflexibility, but I don't get it.

Do you?

Otto

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 AM) : 

Thom Browne has grown on me. I really like his style now. Wasn't too sure at first.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

Tom Brown is screaming for attention...Keep screaming Tommie, I'm sure there are some out there howling back

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Terrible, his styles are jevenile at best, he really is all about the look at me thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

I notice you filter out the negative comments about Mr. Brown, I have tried twice, while comments I have made on other things have appeared.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I don't filter out negative comments, just look above, I do filter out comments that do not make a good point.

You don't have to agree with me but you do have to make a good argument, that easy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 PM) : 

Please 'splain it to me, Lucy.

A grown man of say, 20 years dressing like a 9 year old, or
an character from "Our Gang"?

It makes sense for "boy seeking daddy top", but are there enough of those to make a fashion?

Would even a super-trendy woman
feel proud to be seen with a man dressed like that?
How about a "normal" woman?

Please... Say it ain't so.

Otto

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:01 PM) : 

Otto,
Have you personally seen any Thom Browne in a store?

I have and the production looks great. The pants are cut long so you can hem to your choice of length and if you are slim the jacket look great, the real question with Thom is price/fashion ratio. His fashion items are way too expensive for such a short shelf life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Thanks for your reply, Sarto.
No, I have seen no T.B. except your excellent photos.

Even with a generous reality discout for being a runway show,
I can't get my head around the bottom look with the "evening" shorts and garters.

The trouser cut is the one virtue in the first two looks. I like the slim tapered leg and three inch cuffs. Length fits OK with figure skates, but who wears those on the street any more?
Better have some crazy socks if you're showing three or four inches of them...or will it be no socks and hairy ankles in public?

Are those bow ties matching the coat fabric? Wow.

The middle fur-trimmed overcoat
was swiped Audrey Hepburn's costume closet.

What do the overcoat sleeve badges
say on them?

I accept that one can buy T.B. and
tone it down with tailoring closer to "normal". It may come out looking OK if you really work it.

Thanks for your patience.

Otto.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

What is it about Tom Brown that you obviously like so much? I don't get the look..

Also, I assume you are in the fashion business in some way....I like seeing all of the things you post here, even the things I don't like....

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:58 PM) : 

I respect what Thom is trying to do though I personally like to wear old-school brands like Borrelli.

Read my post "The Thom Browne Experiment" and it will help explain why I think what is happening right now is so interesting.

I'm talking a lot about Thom right now but 5 years from now it will be happening all over again just with different players. It is like a good chess match - fun to watch while it is happening.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

I went back to read, yet one more time, the TB Experiment....so I still don't get it, shorts in the winter, for men, bad enough the ladies have to wear skirts, and at least they can wear pantyhose. Sorry, but in my ineducated fashion opinion Thom Brown is way way off base. No matter who he appeals to, straights, gays, boys, it does not matter, if it lives at all it will be short lived. The man is trying to do something, he has a vision, but I think he needs glasses.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (4:39 PM) : 

That was the point I was making - the shorts were the only thing that didn't work.

Again, if Thom doesn't make sell-thru is it because he accepted an order for so many shorts or Jeffrey for ordering so many?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

It's more than the shorts that don't make it. The clothes look like womans clothing on men, the fur is a bit over the top, I doubt a straight man will wear these, but maybe thati s the point, the jackets short and small looking (but I guess someone can fit themselves better than Thom's vision here)...I cannot see this making it in other than a small niche market, and then it is something that will be gone, out of style in a very short time...seems foolish to me, but then I am more into buing timeless pieces.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:49 AM) : 

News flash! men have worn clothing more crazy than what you are seeing in Thom's collection.

Didn't Capone wear fur?

plus-four golf pants?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Yes, men have worn clothing more crazy, just look at the 18th and 19th century rich....today this looks like sometihng just to grab attention, not the style..so your point is not one I believe to hold water, but I agree, men can wear some strange styles at times, to me these are about the strangest I have seen.

 

Blogger Rebecca V. O'Neal said ... (6:49 PM) : 

call me crazy, but i like the grown up chronicles of narnia look :: its clean :: its fairly timeless, save the occasional fur trim, for menswear

you can't go wrong with impeccable lines and tailoring no matter what decade or location

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting