This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Men's Vogue -2nd Issue - I Want To Love You

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Men's Vogue -2nd Issue - I Want To Love You

I just picked up the second issue of Men's Vogue - I want so bad to love it but.....

Maybe I misunderstood the audience Men's Vogue was going for but I got the impression that they were targeting the slightly older, sophisticated man that wants something a bit more refined than the current GQ selection, but still no less fashion relevant - GQ for the Borrelli, Bergdorf set. The first issue was great and raised the bar of excellence in men's fashion magazines.

Maybe the first issue just set the bar a little too high.

In my experience, the men that are over 25 and still into fashion are really into fashion, and there is currently a giant void in the magazine market for that niche - perfect timing for Men's Vogue - but this issue has very little real fashion coverage.

The main fashion editorial is a blandish suit story featuring Paul Bettany of the upcoming movie "The DaVinci Code". I guess it is ok but it is just missing that pop of something really special or inspiring. The suits are all a taupy-tan-ish and paired with uninspiring tonal shirts and ties. Putting together exciting (but not necessarily over-dramatic) suit/shirt/pocket square/tie combinations is exactly the kind of direction men want from fashion magazines. The front of the book articles all look very interesting but it is the meat-and-potatoes fashion coverage that I want from Men's Vogue, not more political critiques from a fashion magazine.

The styling of the Tiger Woods story is completely forgettable and the accessories coverage is all golf shoes and golf gloves.

Considering that it is much more difficult for men to dress really great in the high heat of summer, an issue like this could be a valuable tool. Color was all over the runways for Spring 2006 and is in the stores in a big way right now, how about a little direction from Men's Vogue on how to make color work for men over 30 in both our work and causal wardrobes? There are two ties "of color" in the entire magazine.

By far the best fashion is a story called "Life Studies" that was shot on two "real people": "literary power broker" Luke Janklow (shot in his own jacket) and "public intellectual" Noah Feldman. It just proves my point that real guys are so much more aspirational than what the runways and magazines are feeding us.

Men's Vogue has access to all the best brands in the world, so why are so many of the same brands that are already featured in GQ, Esquire, and seemingly every other men's magazine also in Men's Vogue. Can't anyone break the advertisers grip?

Dear Men's Vogue,
We had an incredible first date but the second was a bit shaky; everyone knows I give it up on the third, so I'm crossing my fingers you bring the heat for the next issue.

Comments on "Men's Vogue -2nd Issue - I Want To Love You"

 

Blogger MrWynn said ... (6:58 PM) : 

Agreed, and I felt the same about Vitals. If the team over at Mens Vogue is looking for inspiration, head over to Kinokuniya and pick up nearly any Japanese men's magazine. Prepare to be blown away and proceed to steal smart as one of my college professors used to say.

 

Blogger Kim said ... (8:55 PM) : 

i actually liked vitals alot for what it was: a more upscale version of cargo.

who's on the cover of the mens vogue, btw?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:00 PM) : 

Tiger Woods is on the cover -

he is not exactly my idea of a Sartorialist

 

Blogger Livemalls said ... (12:05 AM) : 

I'm a subscriber, but I haven't seen my copy yet. Doesn't sound promising.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 AM) : 

Every relationship is doomed to end in disappointment sooner or later. I figured MV would last longer than a one night stand.

 

Blogger Mike Paget said ... (7:55 AM) : 

I couldn't agree more - Am I really supposed to be reading Maxim at the ripe age of 29?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Didn't even know Men's Vogue was publishing a US edition (I must be a "trad"). I must get my mitts on the first edition (any ideas?). That the content is less than inspiring does not surprise me. I often have this problem with US fashion mags (yes, I am a Euro and biased). I just find them all so "safe" (and that goes for the adverts too). Their readership seems to have too much money and too little personality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

It's more Vanity Fair than Vogue. And Tiger Woods on the cover is just inexcusable!
signed the German journalist #2

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

The magazine has no "identity"..it will develop in time...do they want to be GQ or L'Homme...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

The first edition wasn't very good either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Tiger Woods?!?! Who cares any more?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

fyi-

I know from a close, reliable soure, that noah feldman wore all of his own clothes but they gave him differnt shoes to wear during the shoot and then he didn't get to keep them. this seems low level to me. they should've given him the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I agree with all, such a shame.

If it was the US vogue for Women (with more European influence, and fashion from the likes of L'uomo Vogue) for MEN, I'd be sold.

Perhaps someone should send these comments there direct and give them all a bit of a kick up the bum they require!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 PM) : 

2009: L`uomo vogue. All the years i have bought that magazine. They have had such a great layout, but since ( i try to remember) the end of 2007 (?) it is horrible. There is nothing which inspires me. It is like the GQ or FHM. Nothing spectacular. All the same and same stories: Naked wifes, cars, suits, yachts and "which cigar to smoke in which bar". No, no, no, this is not me. I have stoped to buy it.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting