This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Welcome Back? Hickey Freeman

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Welcome Back? Hickey Freeman


I know Hickey Freeman has been around a long time and they are a great business, and they are important.......to someone.

They have never actually meant anything to me, until now.

Hickey Freeman has begun an aggressive introduction of the younger, much younger and far hipper Hickey collection. I had seen Hickey before in Bergdorfs, (honestly I had only noticed the sportcoats) but the collection is now front and center on my radar. I love the ads (above), what a way to shake up the stodgy image I had of the brand. It was just about....no, it was....the best thing I saw at the Designer Collective and ,best of all, the prices are great.

For someone , like me, who doesn't have to wear a suit every day they have a lot of options.
I'm big on color, pattern and texture-they do a great job using all three, and sometimes all three in one jacket. I loved the olive/brown corduroy, camouflage print sportcoat that they had at Bergdoef for Fall 2005 and the quilted camouflage version for Fall 2006.

I have to make it up to the showroom for a more indepth Fall 2006 preview, I'll keep you posted.

Comments on "Welcome Back? Hickey Freeman"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

Why is HF trying so hard? Stick to what you are good at..I'm sure tons of the people that work at HF skate...please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 PM) : 

wow... I like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 PM) : 

I like it, but wouldn't bet the farm on hoards of skinny fifteen year old skaters making dandyism a trend.

Reminds me of the Carnaby Street look c. 1966. Those were good days. The look extended down to the trou and shoes though.
And there were Monkey boots which someone should bring back..made a great sound.

I like the trim cut through the arms. Look to be skinny notchless
lapels. Built up shoulders.

Crappy jeans and PF flyers derivative of grunge. Hasn't Grunge come and gone already? ... like fifteen years ago?

I love the hair thing hanging
down. I have a nephew in his "wookie" period.
No one has seen his face in months.

Is that a Canabis leaf on his buckle? Do children still smoke weed? I thought it was only for geezers like me.

Things just keep getting peculiarer.

Otto.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 PM) : 

It all seems rather pretentious to me. No substance, all show.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 AM) : 

Did anyone else have a flashback of the show "Fresh Prince of Belair"?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 AM) : 

That's a jacket so ugly not even Will Smith would have worn that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Hmmm... looks like HF is trying to out Etro Etro. The jackets look like a nice slime fit, and I like that they paired the jackets with very Ivy league (albeit much slimmer than traditional Ivy league a la J. Press) pieces. I wonder whether they will alienate their core customer though. On the other hand, Gieves seems to be doing okay with their new approach, (much to the consternation of the fuddy duddies) so maybe this will work. Bergdorfs is carrying the line. Should work there. HF will, imo, have to be *very* careful about distribution of this new line....

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:42 AM) : 

I would be surprised if it was any of the traditional HF stores, or at least in the same department as HF.

This is a new market segment for them, it could bring in a lot of new business without ever effecting their core business.

Hickey is for Bergdorfs type stores and HF is for Marshall Fields oops I mean Macy's type of store.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

the print on the jacket in the middle pic is totally killer. esp because it looks like swanky baroque-inspired upholstery fabric. yeah its carnaby revivalist and yeah its really etro, but theyve got me wanting to go down to neimans to try it on! maybe theyre onto something? id rock it with a gingham orange dress shirt and white jeans and old varvatos chucks out to drinks on a saturday night in the summer. hell yeah!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:40 PM) : 

re: That's a jacket so ugly not even Will Smith would have worn that.

Didn't you see the episode when Will was just starting prep school and he turned the uniform blazer inside out- to reveal a crazy pattern similar to the one in this post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Wow, I can't believe those are HF!! I LOVE the jacket shape/cut. The top 2 aren't my cup o earl grey for fabric but I could see myself wearing the bottom plaid one easily.

 

Blogger Jay said ... (4:07 AM) : 

Very Duran Duran-ish, 80's

 

Blogger Rebecca V. O'Neal said ... (7:00 PM) : 

be still my heart w/ the plaid sports coated skate board kid!!!!

its the flannel for people who care how they look :: how can there be complaints?

 

Blogger Felicity said ... (9:51 PM) : 

i LOVE the first two.
so different... men's fashion needs some new, risky patterns! i love it
i wish i could find something like this in stores for my boyfriend.
he would love the fit, especially.

and it really is totally fresh prince.

 

Blogger Lucy Jane said ... (8:59 AM) : 

that third look.
I would do just about anything for that boy in that outfit!

 

Blogger Mariana said ... (1:52 PM) : 

love the middle and bottom pictures...it has an academic modern look...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 PM) : 

personally, I believe this look could finally inspire men to go out and be different. It makes the impression of being comfortable in tailored items... I think it would make a guy look pretty good!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting