This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Michael Bastian Fall 2006 Preview- The Detail Shots

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Michael Bastian Fall 2006 Preview- The Detail Shots

-I love the Neapolitan sleevecap detail in the top photo.

-Mixing oldschool tailoring details like a turned under top-collar on a denim sportcoat is just crazy enough to work. The knit scarf around the second jacket has a Walt Whitman poem written across the length of it. While Michael was doing previews in Europe a reporter ask him if he had Walt Whitman's phone number because she would like to call him for a comment on the scarf. Truth is stranger than fiction.

-In the bottom photo Michael pointed out that he took great care to fit the knits and vests to hit right at the waist.

Comments on "Michael Bastian Fall 2006 Preview- The Detail Shots"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

I like the pop collar. I'd wear that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

In the bottom photo Michael pointed out that he took great care to fit the knits and vests to hit right at the waist.

And that perfectly illustrates the problem with OTR clothing. Those small details may work on Mr. Bastian or whoever the model is that he designed it for but are likely to miss by an inch or two in either direction on someone who buys it off of Bergdorf's rack.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Are you getting a lot of your knits done on Savile Row these days ?

 

Blogger MrWynn said ... (10:28 PM) : 

HA! Nice come back. I see we are warming up the snappy repartee here. In all seriousness Mr. Anonymous makes a valid point. When you buy into a designer you buy into his or her idea of fit. In fact, in order to be successful a designer must advocate or propose an idea of fit and image that is in some way unique. If it doesn't fit you then too bad for both of you.

I have a proclivity for Luciano Barbera RTW suits, where I wear a 40R. Paul Smith, a designer I admire greatly cuts with such waist suppression that I need a 44 in order to be able to button the middle button. Consequently he is not for me.

Fit in America is tricky. Given how homogenous the population of most European countries, the fit of many lines that originate there is quite consistent. When you consider the American melting pot it's no surprise how many fit issues we have.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:30 AM) : 

All a designer can try and do is be consistent with fit. They can't be everything to everyone. I cannot wear Paul Smith suits because they don't cut a 40short, at least in the NYC shop, so I'm left with only about 5,000 other companies to buy from.

Regarding my snappy repartee I hate to snap back but I hate more the snobbery of some Savile Row customers. If we all could afford custom for everything than that would be great but most people cannot, I would never look down on them for that. I have been very lucky to do just fine without a closet full of custom suits. I was lucky enough to get a few Valentino MTM cashmere jackets when I worked there and they look great - just ask my butler or my chamber maid or my driver, no...not my driver - he drinks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 PM) : 

In all honesty, I have never had anything made bespoke. Some MTM shirts are the closest I have come. Obviously, if I could afford it I would. However, if one can afford to pay list price for Mr. Bastian's goods at Bergdorf, buying bespoke is not likely to be much of a stretch.

My comments are not meant to be an attack on Mr. Bastian at all. I think the clothing looks marvelous. I am just lamenting the broader problem of fit in the OTR clothing world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

You guys crack me up.

Barbera vs. Smith: what happened to DROP? Look? Target?

Barbera = old, classic
Smith = young, fashion

Just because 'classic' looks are in, you can't lump them together.

Plus, should we say 'designers' or 'stylists'? (some even creative directors)

Does Mr Bastian have the formal training to cut patterns, modify or "design"?

So why do you expect all this thought behind universal fit? He likes the way it looks and thats the end of that!

Besides, he probably copied it from others (sorry, inspired..) likes everyone else does. As you all pretty much pointed out.

Not to mentioned the small likelyhood of [I'm gonna say it] private labelling from another's pool...

You either by into the perception or you don't!

Come on, look at the infamous Prada nylon bag!!!! What are we talking in cost to make?? How many sold?! At how much?!

What's sad is that the market's turned upside down and luxury get's inspired by main stream (i.e. all your examples: H&M, A&F, RL, Tommy, and who knows Gap, Banana, and so on..)

That's why the ratio is
1 BG : 300,000,000 People

Sayonara

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Previous post
sorry, i don't really understand the point your making?

I don't think luxury is inspired by mainstream I think it is inspired by real life- as in peacoats, chunky knits, and how high end and low end are mixed together - like in real life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

"While Michael was doing previews in Europe a reporter ask him if he had Walt Whitman's phone number because she would like to call him for a comment on the scarf."

No, but I do have his fax number -- the witty reply delivered in Three Weddings and a Funeral to a question from a gauche American whether one of the characters actually knew Oscar Wilde. Could've been used there.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting