This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Michael Bastian Fall 2006 Preview- Part 2

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, January 27, 2006

Michael Bastian Fall 2006 Preview- Part 2

Above (top) is a peacoat cut lean and a little longer than the original, and (below) a cashmere knit v-neck with the silhouette of Frank O'Hara embroidered on the chest.

Of the three main guys at the center of this New York menswear revival, Thom Browne, Michael Bastian, and Derrick Miller of Barker Black, one of the things I find most interesting is that none of them have formal design training. Thom was an actor, Michael worked at Sotheby's, and Derrick worked for a photographer and at a magazine; all were in creative fields but they were not slaving away in the sequin mines of FIT or Parsons. The closest to fashion schooling was R.L.U. (Ralph Lauren University); both Derrick and Michael worked there, and Thom was at Club Monaco, a division of Ralph's empire.

"Not seeing the forest for the trees" is a scenario that so many young, formally trained designers fall prey to when they begin their collections. They have grown up wanting so bad to be "the next big thing", that they feel that they can only do it by creating the first three-armed jacket. I guess that by not growing up dreaming of being a "designer", Thom, Michael, and Derrick were more easily able to see the opportunity and reward of reworking already established classics, and adding their own personal twists. Actually, I find what these young Americans are doing is every bit a artistic as a Raf Simons or Slimane because they are working more with color, pattern, texture, and silhouette. Raf's collections, or designers of that ilk (Kris Van Assche), seem to make it more about overall shape and coming up with a new gimmick each season. Not that there is anything wrong with that; fashion needs that, but I don't agree that the Raf Simons of the world are on a much higher creative plane than that of these young Americans.

Comments on "Michael Bastian Fall 2006 Preview- Part 2"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 AM) : 

I mean, it isn't that I don't like Frank O'Hara, but his silhouette on a sweater? I wonder if he's paying royalties to O'Hara's estate...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

Do you know what stores will carry Michael Bastian's collection?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:14 AM) : 

From what I understand Bergdorf is a yes, speciality stores are still seeing the collection ( I got these photos very early in the process!!) and the other majors are still negotiating. Right now it is about working out in-store shops or soft shops, which cities, size of buy, etc..

Michael was very excited that he already has an order in-house for a store in Russia.

As long as the prices don't go crazy with added export costs the look could do great overseas.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I like the matching sweater and tuque combination.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

Can't see the trousers well in this photo, but they appear, like the ones in the earlier photo, to be cut to flatter and provide comfortable covering to the lower half of the human male torso. What a relief. I wore the ultra-slim fitting suits and hip riding trousers of the 60s, but I was then in my teens and twenties. Even then, at 5'10" with an athletic build (42" chest, 32" waist), I found the clothes overly confining, both visually and actually. I was then, as were my father and grandfather, in the men’s clothing business and know that my clothes were properly fitted and tailored. Forty years older, but only 10 pounds heavier, I simply don't want to wear trousers with waists that sit on or below my hip bones and thighs that hug mine (I'll get my thigh hugging elsewhere, thank you). To me, tailored trousers with a waist that sits at the wearer’s waist and hips/legs full enough to drape gracefully from that waist, whether pleated or not, look good on any man and remain good looking, comfortable, and utilitarian in any position, not just standing and posing. Kudos to Mr. Bastian.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 PM) : 

American designers? Why don't you talk about the guys at Rag & Bone, or the skater guys at Corpus who Selfridges picked up despite minimal PR and absolutely no training. How about the three colege roommates at Trovata, for that matter (though I personally don't like the stuff.) What about lines like Obedient Sons, Engineered Garments (Japanese designed, but with a distintive Americana flavor, and all made in the USA, often right in NYC). And what about streetwear, from The Cast to Rogan (which is huge in Japan) to Rogues Gallery. Geez, what about Noble (from the principal of the now defunct Greige) or even John Malkovich (the actor.)

Sorry, although some of the construction looks very nice, I see nothing special about this collection except that Michael Bastian has a big PR machine behind him in the form of Bergdorf Goodman. The collection looks a lot like early F/W John Varvatos collections. At least Thom Browne has a coherent vision (though not to my taste). And I'll put down $20 that Barker Black is just the latest flash in the pan.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:50 AM) : 

LA Guy
I'm just one person, I can only cover so much besides who said I wouldn't cover them. Aren't most of the designers you mentioned LA based? I know Trovata
is, I honestly I think I have covered more real skate style than GQ and Esquire combined. I haven't lately because it is simply to cold for most of the skaters to be outside. The skate photo are some of my favorite.
Regarding Bastians PR he has no machine behind him, he left Bergdorf, I approached both he and Barker Black myself directly. In New York design it is painfully obvious when something is new and good, that is why they are getting so much press, talent.

To Basta! (if that is your real name!!)
I'm not a shill, I simply write about what i like. Have you seen anything on my blog about Donna Karan? Calvin?, Kors?
If I was trying to get paid wouldn't I go where the money is? I don't take time to write about what I don' like, that is why I didn't cover much of the Milan shows. If you don't like what I write then just enjoy the photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Hey Sartorialist,

In the casualwear departments, John Varvatos is obviously NYC based, as are Rag & Bone, Engineered Garments, and Noble. I know that the former two are really easy oto reach. John Malkovich is also NYC based, although I have it on good authority that JM himself lives in Cambridge. On the streetwear end, the Cast is based right in the East Village, and 5EP is NYC based, though I don't know where in exactly.

Rogues Gallery is based in Maine.

Of the brands I mentioned, only Corpus (LA) and obedient Sons (SF, AFAIK) are not on the east coast.

Yes, your skater pics are great. And don't get me wrong, I think that much of the Michael bastian stuff is good, but none of the pieces you've showcased seem particularly distinctive from John Varvatos, except in terms of quality (and I imagine, commensurate prices.)

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (4:27 PM) : 

LA Guy,
Just to let you know I have front and backstage passes for the Varvatos show, so I will be taking shots and trying to capture the chaos that is a fashion show.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 PM) : 

la guy, start your own blog if you want California crap posted.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting