This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Albanese Meats & Poultry, Nolita, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Albanese Meats & Poultry, Nolita, New York

Albanese Meats & Poultry has been in Nolita since it was called the Lower East Side. The butcher in the photo grew up in the neighborhood and his mom ran Albanese until she was 97. This is the real old-school neighborhood butcher not like todays gleaming white medical meat morgues of huge supermarkets. He was telling me how the whole street on Elizabeth use to be little food shops. Across the street was a Greek food shop that customers brought their own jugs to get filled up with olive oil and the same for milk. These leftovers from another era are hard to still find in Manhattan but they are so rewarding when I do.

Labels:

Comments on "Albanese Meats & Poultry, Nolita, New York"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 PM) : 

Great pictures.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 PM) : 

Love these views of the old and real New York! Does anyone else see some kind of face in the meat? (no, not Mother Theresa)

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:34 AM) : 

I thought I saw a crazy face in the meat too.
If it gets out that it looks like Mother Theresa, then watch the pilgrimages begin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

The face in the meat is Edvard Munch's "The Scream."

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/munch/munch.scream2.jpg

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

pics are nice.

i'm not sure what the health dept would think

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:46 PM) : 

I know! the chopping block out in the middle of the store was what caught my eye.

They must be doing something right, they have been in the same spot for 50 or more years, they ain't hiding.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:06 AM) : 

Wasn't this butcher shop in the De Niro New York Amex commercial?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

That meat looks like a skull!
Haunted!

 

Blogger Andrea said ... (3:22 PM) : 

This is my great aunt's shop. That's Uncle Moe in the photo. thanks for posting these!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 AM) : 

These are great! I was going to say which one I liked the best, but each one is beautiful!

 

Blogger mary jane said ... (11:35 AM) : 

I love this essay. Lovely! who knew a butcher shop could be lovely. Thanks.

 

Blogger UESman said ... (1:06 PM) : 

You know, it really shows in these photos that photography is your life. Very unusual and creative. Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I used to live by this place and loved walking past... it's like time forgot this little shop. I hope it stays there forever.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 PM) : 

I am vegetarian, but one word: FANTASTIC.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I do not eat much meat; the older man could convince me otherwise.

 

Anonymous do-it-dog said ... (6:25 AM) : 

These photos blow me away. The second one is as beautiful a story as I've ever seen.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 PM) : 

I love the little Infant of Prague...I wonder if the butcher thinks you're nuts.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:01 AM) : 

I have been following you for quite sometime now Mr. Schuman, I really admire you're work and you're wisdom.. but when my girlfriend just sent me a link to a 2006 article of my grandpa doing what he does best I couldn't believe I missed that! I hope you had a nice time there!

And yes everyone the meat is that good, that's why it's been around for so long! It's not in boxes like Trader Joe's, this is the real deal people!

Thank you Sartorialist,
Jen Prezioso

ps the store used to be across the street, the owner kept the storefront when it was bought for aesthetic purposes (it's his studio).

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:06 AM) : 

Ha and just realized the Fulton Fish Market above-- Moe was an inspector there for quite some time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

What great photos. Love the stories that they tell!
Mauricio
www.evaphotostudio.com

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting