This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Style Profile...David Anicich - Luigi Borrelli, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Style Profile...David Anicich - Luigi Borrelli, New York

Where has all the good sales help gone?
I found one, David Anicich, the store manager at Luigi Borrelli in Manhattan. New customers come to David because they want the "Borrelli Look"; their eye might not pick up the subtle nuances that separate Borrelli from say Brioni but they know it is different somehow.
When the customer steps out of the dressing room and David starts working his magic, you can see the customers face go from puzzled concern to "ahhhh...thats the look I was going for." The pants might be a little shorter than they are use to, the jacket a little more snug, the collar a little more spread, but they love it.
David is like that barber who gently but firmly tells you that a mullet might not be the best haircut for your face shape.

The Sartorialist asked David a few questions about his personal style.


Best Sartorial advice from your Dad?
Always punch your weight and dress your age.

Best Sartorial advice to pass down to your son?
Listen to your tailor, but always remember you have to wear the suit.

Hardest thing for American customer to understand about the “Italian fit”?
That a suit (or shirt) that fits the body is more natural, comfortable and flattering way to dress than the shapeless (relaxed?) fit most men are used to wearing.

You build your daily look around your?
My mood and who I need to be on that day.

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist’s outfit?
The overall fit. A man who understands how his clothes should fit always looks confident and "put together".

I skimp when buying?
Jeans! classic Levi's on sale!!!

I splurge when buying?
Seven fold ties and bench made shoes.

I never break this fashion rule?
I NEVER wear a watch and ALWAYS wear formal shoes with a tuxedo.

Favorite store?
Casa dello Sport in Firenze and Marinella in Napoli

Favorite item of clothing?
An old pair of suede chukka boots.

Describe personal style?
Classic Dad.

Personal Style quirk?
Re-tying my tie throughout the day until I get it right.

Dress to impress who?
My sons.

Most overrated item in menswear?
Denim.

Most underrated item in menswear?
A good tailor and an honest salesman.

Most stylish city?
New York. The mix of styles and level of self expression is like no other city.

Never caught wearing?
White

Comments on "Style Profile...David Anicich - Luigi Borrelli, New York"

 

Blogger rnssnc said ... (1:47 AM) : 

I never went to the Borelli store in Manhattan, maybe I should, but I also was very impressed with the knowledge and service of the Borelli store in my city. Good and honese salesman are so hard to find and worth their weight in gold, there should be some sort of industry award for these outstanding people.

I also received great advice recently at my city's Ermenegildo Zegna and Dior Homme.

Love your blog, keep it up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 AM) : 

>I never break this fashion rule?
I NEVER wear a watch

? I never heard that rule before! As long as the watch is appropriate it shouldnt be a problem to wear one?! I think a watch and a wedding ring are the only jewellery a man should wear!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:43 AM) : 

I have replaced my watch with a cellphone.

 

Blogger Alan said ... (8:53 AM) : 

It's "I NEVER wear a watch and ALWAYS wear formal shoes with a tuxedo."

He's wearing a watch in the photograph.

The posts are always interesting, Sartorialist.

(I don't wear a watch.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

I think he just means you shouldn't wear a watch when wearing a tuxedo.

I take a look at your blog every day, quite inspiring. Especially the photographs are sometimes awesome.

Lourens Keers - Amsterdam, the Netherlands

p.s. I am wearing a watch ;-). One of the very few assecoires a man should wear.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

accesoires, it's almost bedtime here in Holland.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

You don't wear a watch with a Tuxedo because the night ends on its own accord.

A watch suggests you have something to keep track off, once you are in the Tux the night is simply to be enjoyed - at whatever pace that you are enjoying it. When the evening ends the evening ends, even if that is well after the first lights of rosy fingered dawn

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 PM) : 

The Borelli look involves pants . . . "a little shorter than normal." Not Thom Browne short, I hope. By the way, can anyone explain to me the appeal of Thom Browne's kookie too short pants?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:39 PM) : 

How many times have you seen women on the street dressed right from "the runway looks", never.
Thom has a certain way of wearing his own clothes but his customers can wear theirs anyway they want. I saw a guy in Thom Browne the other day on the street, he looked really great. At the time I didn't even notice the pant length so they must have been pretty normal or I would have noticed.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting