This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Rue De La Cle, Brussels

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

On the Street....Rue De La Cle, Brussels



A very good friend of mine challenged me last week because I didn't post on Friday.

He cautioned me that I had trained the readers to check the blog 3 times a day based on my posting over the last few months. I tried to explain that the human element of the this blog, I'm not a big corporate magazine, is always the at the core of each post. If I have a lot of images to post I will, but if I don't have an image I won't post something just to keep an audience happy.

That is very much the case with this image.
I knew I didn't have any images in reserve for today but instead of going for the easy shot in a city I didn't know, I took a chance and just let myself get lost.

Sometimes getting lost and taking chance can result in finding a completely surprising and a very rewarding shot like this.

I won't get into the religious and political issues of this woman because the romantic in me wishes that we all could just get along. I hope we can discuss her style and self-expression for the its genuine nature and celebrate the differences that keep this human family so interesting.

Comments on "On the Street....Rue De La Cle, Brussels"

 

Anonymous Barchbo said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Love the shoes! Gorgeous photo!

And she has the best accessory: a lovely smile.

 

Blogger Caille said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Maybe I'm naive, but I hadn't even noticed the "religious and political issues" of her head scarf, which has a chic hue and is tied with a lot of insouciance. I was too busy giving the thumbs-up to her beautiful smile and those great shoes.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:36 PM) : 

the colors in this shot are amazing ...and I love her shoes ..regardless of politics and/or religion ...I'm glad you got lost.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

so rich! amazing.

 

Blogger WE SPY WITH MY LITTLE i said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Ermmm.... Im confused! Are you insinuating that she is of the muslim faith?? If so, I don't think she is and if I am correct then in terms of style for it isn't successful. however, if she is then she should be applauded for playing around with what is such a restrictive faith in terms of its clothing.

Im confused... HA

Yours Truly

WE SPY WITH MY LITTLE i

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Love the denim vest to break up the heavy brown dosage.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

this photo is hard to describe. it is as you said surprising, but there is a faint familiarty about it too. by the way, the color of the coat and pants suit each other really well!

please read my blog at http://ohgeeitsgreat.wordpress.com/

 

Anonymous Ewa said ... (6:46 PM) : 

She completely lost the proportions and got the look of clochard. The colours, the shoes...I cannot say anything good about this girl... besides her smiling face.

 

Blogger galsandan said ... (6:46 PM) : 

It is true: when you become addicted to the posts, it's hard to wait for them. But when they are as great as thic pic, it is worth the wait. It never occured to me to think of anything other than the shapes, colours and proportions she put together. Well done - both you and her! :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

Her coat is made of glory. And those pants! Mostly harem pants make people look like waddling ducks to me, but they can be a beautiful thing.

 

Anonymous Tiffany said ... (6:46 PM) : 

I like this look! I see a happy young woman with a wicked pair of yellow pants that I want to buy. I like how she's wearing a brownish-purple top and then bright bright mustard pants. Pairing these two with a denim blue vest and the blue sandals? Fun! No need to judge anything else :]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

A Friday respite from creativity is good for you and good for us. The best marketers leave their fans licking their chops for more. I check the blog 3x/day regardless of what you feed me. :-) May the beauty of this woman's self-expression speak louder than the unfortunate need in today's setting to pre-comment on her religiosity and politico leanings. "Why can't we all just get along?" is RIGHT.

 

Anonymous Stacey said ... (6:50 PM) : 

While i wouldn't don the entire outfit, there are elements that i like about it, i.e, the sandals, the denim vest and the trench. However, she wears her outfit well and is a beautiful woman!Plus, i love the whole composition of the photograph!

 

Blogger noam chen said ... (6:50 PM) : 

nicely put! she has a great style, it's wonderful that she could be so unique.

 

Blogger Sarah J said ... (6:52 PM) : 

The yellow pants!! and the blue vest! oh how i do so love a good juxtoposition.

 

Blogger mirae. said ... (6:54 PM) : 

I really love her style and no religious or political or whatever, seems like it's just part of her little "chicness." I really adore her shoes. *

 

Blogger Kinga said ... (6:57 PM) : 

I feel her spiritual harmony by this photo. Amazing!

 

Anonymous CoudreMODE said ... (6:58 PM) : 

You know, this didn't broadcast any religious or political message to me; I just saw fashion...although I did wonder if her feet were cold!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

Gosh, if you hadn't made that comment about her possible religious affiliation I wouldn't have given it a second thought. What I saw was a gorgeous young woman dressed in outstanding colors and interesting garments. You mean no one can wear a headscarf anymore without being labeled? What happened to a scarf covering your head for a convertible ride??

 

Anonymous Jane said ... (7:05 PM) : 

I love the peek of demin under her coat. And her smile - that's what makes any outfit.

 

Blogger Eryl said ... (7:05 PM) : 

Getting lost is one of my favourite things. I love her coat, hat, and kohl smeared eyes.

 

Blogger jt said ... (7:13 PM) : 

makes me want to cover my head!

 

Blogger EML said ... (7:15 PM) : 

Interesting how she wears yellow without it being penetrating.

And I can only speak for myself but I'd like to let you know that I do not have a problem with waiting for the next Sartorialist post at all. After all having to wait for something is what makes it even more exciting, isn't it? It's a bit like an all-year-round advent calendar. Sometimes you like the suprise and sometimes you don't. But then again that's the thing with surprises.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

I absolutely love this pic! and as some of the other above have mentioned, I did not see any religious or political affiliation to this picture. She's a beautiful woman expressing herself in how she chooses to. Does anyone wearing all black and studs need to be labelled a Gothic?Surely, not in today's day and age.
Sart, I applaud the romantic in you for wishing we could all get along, but on the same note, its possibly the cynic assuming people would have an issue with her religious or political orientation?

Regardless...she is dressed beautifully and as always, your picture is stunning!

Cheers

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Love her jacket! x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 PM) : 

"Gosh, if you hadn't made that comment about her possible religious affiliation I wouldn't have given it a second thought. What I saw was a gorgeous young woman dressed in outstanding colors and interesting garments."
This. I was confused even, when i started reading. Never crossed my mind.

lilly

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

if you hadn't mentioned such "religious and political issues of this woman" i wouldn't have guessed there even were any.

...so...are there any??

ironic indeed this post.

still heart you though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

so many layers and textures! i just love it.



http://pieinmypants.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Eileen said ... (7:36 PM) : 

Beautiful! The pants and the shoes are perfect, beautiful woman, beautiful shot.

 

Anonymous Catherine said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Those pants are fab. I am always afraid I will look like I escaped from the genie's lamp when attempting harem pants. They are the perfect combo of color and volume.

XO,
Catherine
www.lagrandedame.com

 

Blogger Forest City Fashionista said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Such a rich combination of colours, with the wonderful pop of mustard yellow of the pants. As most of the other readers have noted, I didn't think of any religious or political implications of her outfit, I just enjoyed it for what it is--a great photograph!

 

Anonymous Alli said ... (7:46 PM) : 

I love the yellow pants and the sandals. It's always so funny looking at new posts because at least on my computer, the images are always juxtaposed with the American Apparel ads, so seeing the real people with personality and color in your photos just makes me laugh at the American Apparel clothing.

 

Anonymous cecylia said ... (7:47 PM) : 

Those yellow pants have brightened my day

 

Blogger Ocean in Between said ... (7:48 PM) : 

the instant i saw this pic, I thought "wow, she is a muslim fashionista" :) and this is awesome. I don't think there is anything wrong with noticing her faith in her style, bc it is part of her style, a very big part of it actually. But yes, I do understand your sentiments.

she is very stylish, but maybe a bit overblown for me as a fellow muslimah:) she is very cool anyway. and a beautiful smile is always a winner.

 

Blogger Yoga Trish said ... (8:01 PM) : 

She has such a relaxed and confident vibe, very beautiful. Love the saffron colored pants, so fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Love the pants, love the little denim vest, love Brussels!

 

Blogger Under Urooba's Umbrella! said ... (8:06 PM) : 

OH MY GOODYNESS.

I adore this look! Such fresh colors and textures!
I may have to try it out! NADA, I WILL try it out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

I love your posts because they are always interesting. I may not agree with one thing, then I'll adore another... the reason i look at your post often is because my life is harsh. Staring at beauty comforts me. Not because i covet an unaffordable pair of shoes, but because I like to think about WHY I like then.

 

Blogger Mimi said ... (8:10 PM) : 

i do check more than three times a day- but nevertheless i find new things to look at- without the new posts.

X

M

 

Anonymous Gail said ... (8:14 PM) : 

I think, perhaps, you should explain why you felt the need to even mention religion or politics in posting this photo.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (8:17 PM) : 

You had posted a woman earlier in the year who had an interesting way to tie a scarf around a bag. She was dressed in Muslim clothing. http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/12119JX9177Web.jpg

Following a comment from one of your readers led me to a blog that told me more about hijabie style. http://www.hijabiestyle.com/

It's great to learn new things from your blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

Loving the photo, and her layering. If I were to think about each individual piece, I would be bored. The layers catch my eye.
Not so sure about the sandals, though. They are making me cold and uncomfortable.


Cats

 

Blogger Jem said ... (8:30 PM) : 

I think the reason why Scott wrote about not getting into the womans religious and political issues is because when he's posted images which are similar to this, people tend to write negative things. So I suspect that all he was trying to do was prevent these things from happening. Having said that, I think that this woman has such electic style... I love her bright harem pants! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 PM) : 

Wonderful shot she looks beautiful, I read the post then had to go back to the image to see what the religious issue was.... I would never had noticed had you not pointed it out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

this picture reminded me of the last one you shot of that hijabi girl ... really beautiful.

we should all let people wear what they want. so long as they do it beautifully!

gorgeous shot.. pretty girl.

keep them coming sart, but don't keep us waiting too long! :)

 

Blogger Erika said ... (8:45 PM) : 

@ We Spy -- not all Muslim women wear burqas or totally cover themselves head-to-toe. Depending on where you are from and how you practice your faith, you can either wear Western garb - or just a headscarf - or a headscarf and modest clothing - and so on. This girl is quite modest and very chic --- kudos to her, and kudos to Sart for showing people that conservative Muslim women can dress with style and pride.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

Sometimes the glamorous styles can be deeper than fashion, and they make you think, but frequent photo-sharing forces you to look but not see, so it's good to have a little break for both Scott and the readers every now and then

http://lolochu.blogspot.com/

loloxoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 PM) : 

very nice.. love the somber colors

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (8:51 PM) : 

A beautiful Aladinette!! As a staunch supporter of Vlaams Belang I cannot bring myself to encourage this form of sartorial colonialism on the part of the Islamic world, but she does look nice, I will admit.

 

Blogger Elizabeth Stiletto said ... (8:51 PM) : 

Love the photo, love the pants, love the sandals.

 

Anonymous Sido said ... (8:51 PM) : 

She is fabulous and chic, regardless of how covered up she is. There is something so insouciant about the bare sandals!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 PM) : 

we can all just get along ...
is not that hard at all.
fashion is fashion and people are people, no matter where they are from or what they are ..

 

Blogger dotalot said ... (8:57 PM) : 

there are so many indian harem pants in thrift stores here, i keep going to buy them but never do, perhaps i will next time xxx anne

 

Anonymous Louise Segerqvist said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Just got back from a night out celebrating our last exam, bumped into some guys making horrible comments about heritage. Gets me wondering - are we making any progress at all? Love to see a picture like this. Brings hope. Do not share either religion, nor style. But I do appreciate her smile. And that beautiful color coordination.
xoxo Louise

 

Blogger SarahPeslar said ... (9:00 PM) : 

beauty needs no religion. the elements can shin through anyones skin.

Love the shoes too !

http://fashionsmind.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous mabelmabel said ... (9:00 PM) : 

She radiates vitality. She is dressed to live, in bright, sturdy fabrics. LOVE HER EYE.

PS re missing a day of posting: You're entitled to miss a day! Your site/work is an art, not a science. A "day off" is needed, from time to time, I'd guess.

 

Blogger mayao said ... (9:00 PM) : 

more than glamourous. i adore this photo

www.mayao.net

 

Anonymous justine said ... (9:07 PM) : 

beautiful. This morning i saw a woman with what appeared to be long black hair tied into a very elegant bun. But when I got closer I realised she had actually tied a headscarf this way. It's moments like that I wish i carried a camera ready to go!

 

Anonymous Joanna said ... (9:16 PM) : 

not a fan of harem pants but they look good on her, and kinda put off by someone above using the word clochard for her

 

Blogger Sarah Bentivegna said ... (9:21 PM) : 

oooh i love her pants.

http://summersdaughter.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Dana said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I'm another person who didn't see anything religious or political about her until I read your text. She looks lovely. I really like her coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 PM) : 

Those are some of the reasons I enjoy this blog. I surf hundreds of sites during my day job. I'm sure you'll keep posting whatever and whenever you're inspired to. I know your work has been juxtaposed with August Sander's before. His were different times and different motivations, but a straight up portrait like this moving and exciting.

Elaine

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:33 PM) : 

My internet use is completely sporadic, so I've never been worried by the frequency or volume of your updates. Life>internet. Anyway.

I particularly love the trousers and sandals together, as well as the trousers and coat and waistcoat. The former combo for the colours, and the latter for such a classic, 3-piece suit feel.
Also, the way the headscarf frames her face so perfectly.

This lovely lady is a perfect example of style completely transcending religious belief. Just gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Lisa said ... (9:36 PM) : 

I like that the more you look at this outfit the more you see. I didn't even realize that her modesty and head covering were even a religious choice. And I like how the yellow pants and sandals come as a summery surprise at the end of the fall/winter top half of the look.

lisa@beso.com

 

Blogger Rebekah said ... (9:41 PM) : 

She is stunning!!! And I love the colors and how much do I love her sandals?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 PM) : 

She looks so radiant and beautiful. Thank you for this, more diversity please :) It's rather refreshing

 

Blogger Jo said ... (9:59 PM) : 

I am adoring those sandals. Thats all I have to say about that.

 

Blogger meera sethi said ... (10:12 PM) : 

Sartorialist, I love your blog and check it on the regular, but why oh why do you need to point out her "religious and politcal issues"? What did you mean by that? As you also know, people of all faiths, religions and culture can have fantastic style. I also vote for more diversity on your awesome blog. Btw, I was inspired by your post http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/12119JX9177Web.jpg to create a poster http://www.meerasethi.com/MISC0002_NoBill94.pdf promoting hijabi self-expression and saying no to legislation such as Bill 94 in Quebec, Canada that tell women what they can and can't wear. Check out the poster! Love your work!

 

Blogger stoneandcloth said ... (10:14 PM) : 

nice complimentary and neutral color scheme.

stoneandcloth.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (10:19 PM) : 

She definitely represents cultural style! Great colors!

 

Blogger Katie said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Gorgeous photo, gorgeous style! I love that people are talking about this, about diversity but I hope for a day when things like this are so commonplace that they are not worth talking about.

 

Blogger Donna said ... (10:30 PM) : 

I love her coat! She is very stylish and modest, something I wish we saw more of in this world. Glad to see the diversity.

 

Blogger Victoria and Danni said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Brussels is so beautiful! i have family there. I love the denim vest. it adds the perfect boost of color. So weird to think that all those pieces could work well together. and they do! this gets me in the mood to throw random pieces on from my closet. Great shot!

Thedeckmiami.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Tereneh Idia said ... (10:36 PM) : 

I love her joy and the mix of colors, the blue, brown and yellow are amazing. And before I read your commentary I thought to myself "Oh what a chic way she is being - covered, observant and chic." So while others were confused or did not notice I did. With no sense of value or judgment. I think she looks wonderful. More diversity of all everything - wonderful.

 

Anonymous Allie P. said ... (10:46 PM) : 

beautiful, reminds me of a Matisse painting, don't know why!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:50 PM) : 

Cripes - amazing what you can pull off when you've got a slim figure and a beautiful face! Had a pair of pants like that back in the 80's, and no desire to revisit them!

 

Blogger Disko Dyna said ... (10:52 PM) : 

I love the layering and the colours! Very nice!

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (10:54 PM) : 

I like the pants and sandals combo - i think the colours work really well.. tho I do think the coat (which i like separately) is a bit overpowering for this look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

I love the way muslim women like this make the feet look so sexy

 

Anonymous Alyxmyself said ... (10:58 PM) : 

Welp. I do understand that people spout off about the silliest things, especially for a fashion blog. But I guess folks are moved to take sides on the essences, the personalities, you capture along with the clothes.

I still find them bougie and trite with the personal comments.

But this woman is my third favorite of all time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 PM) : 

Well said! I rather you post one GREAT photo every other day or whatever, than a mediocre photo everyday!! (and I take a look at this blog about 3 times a day) : ) !

About this photo: Wonderful colors, the yellow pants are too cool, the shoes are amazing! And her scarf, while a religious accessory, is very chic as well. Oh! Her smile is beautiful and priceless!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 PM) : 

A proud and independent spirit who isn't restricted in showing her style! This woman manifests inner tranquility. HOT SANDALS.

 

Blogger Emily Knight said ... (11:05 PM) : 

My favorite thing about this is between the end of the jacket, the harem pants, and the way they bunch up at the top of her shoe. Super interesting and creative proportion, and surprisingly it does not make her look stumpy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 PM) : 

scott, my remarking that she is different, that there are 'religious and political issues of this woman' you are signaling her as different.

if you truly felt that we are all part of one human family, this photo would go up without any additional comments like the majority of your other photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 PM) : 

Great jacket. It has a nice steampunk feel to it.

 

Anonymous AnonymousJK said ... (11:19 PM) : 

What political issues? I really just noticed the sandals and wondered where I could get them. Your comment made me look again and then again. I guess I'm fortunate that I live in Canada because pretty girls like her, are a dime a dozen here and I don't see her or anyone for that matter in terms of religion or politics!

 

Blogger peevish said ... (11:41 PM) : 

She makes me so happy!

 

Blogger Gin said ... (11:50 PM) : 

like so many people who were featured in ur blog, this lady caught my eyes at once- and i didnt notice any of those religious/political issues till i read through the article- she just looked so amazing. this is one of the reasons why i love ur blog and i appreciate the fact that u don't compromise ur principles just to please us. stay cool Sart, we know that good things are worth waiting for :)

 

Blogger stephanie said ... (11:55 PM) : 

I think this photo is amazing. I really like how she seems to stand out so strongly from the background and also that there are 3 points of yellow in the photo; it kind of ties it all together for me. And her smile is wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 AM) : 

Greetings: I thoroughly enjoy the diversity of what your Nepuntian eye catches. The shoes and harem pants caught my eye ( colour and style I want those shoes!

For one who has spent a great deal of time in parts of the world where I am amongst those of all religions and the one you are depicting herein - that was not the first thing I noticed, the woman being Islamic. It was her style and beauty.

Case in point, this weekend, the new Miss. USA is an Arab Muslim originating from Lebanon.

I often wonder how a woman who exercises her religious freedom by covering her head , arms and legs, can bare her feet, which is contradictory to following Islamic Law. Why bare the feet? Some women are still getting used to dressing according to the Islamic Code, and need time to cover various parts of their body. The example of their legs - which by the way bright saffron harem pants are not part of the 'modest dress'.

To me, this woman is following her religious expression as well as expressing herself as a WOMAN!

Pardon my saying , but you need to get out to parts of the arab world my friend. More precious creative feasts for the eye than you can imagine! Please keep up the wonderful blog, thank you for sharing with us.

 

Blogger Contact said ... (12:05 AM) : 

Sincerly, If you did not mention the religious aspect I would not catch it...The 1st thing I not it's the mix of color and fabric and her fabulous smile.

 

Blogger tam fuller said ... (12:09 AM) : 

glad you had a little break, and glad you re-booted with this photo! love it, her smiley face, the fantastic cobblestone street, her amazing sandals and the denim vest. awesome.

 

Anonymous Eleanora said ... (12:36 AM) : 

This is refreshing. Lovely woman!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 AM) : 

Loving the yellow.

 

Blogger K. A. Ruth Bushaw said ... (1:32 AM) : 

sweet shoes. she's a diva.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 AM) : 

The colours and folds of the fabric remind me of a Vermeer painting. It's also great that there are yellow elements in the background. All that yellow makes me happy.

 

Blogger Tiffany S. said ... (1:58 AM) : 

It's not 'romantic' to think such a thing. It's human.

I don't know what her ethnic background is, but she seems to take some cultural elements and totally made them her own. The colors and fabric look amazing on her ... I am glad she got to 'represent Brussels' on The Sartorialist...

I hope you had a great time in our little country. And I would like to thank you again for the inspiring roundtable meeting on monday...

Kind regards,

Tiffany

 

Anonymous shida said ... (2:02 AM) : 

love the shoes!!!
you should check out http://www.hijabshigh.com

 

Anonymous Marina said ... (2:20 AM) : 

Risky and... successful! I love the colors. Pants and shoes are very cool. Really creative and personal =)

 

Blogger sd said ... (2:20 AM) : 

i love that your adding a bit of commentary to your post now..it's nice to read what you think sometimes

 

Anonymous mispapelicos.blogspot.com said ... (2:28 AM) : 

Love her coat, sandals and the happy smile.
Good post.
Sacramento fron Andalucía Spain

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 AM) : 

ooh the top button of her coat looks like it's made from denim too - sweet!

 

Blogger tizzylish said ... (2:52 AM) : 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see so many interesting beautiful people ( and not) on the metro every day. All colors, faiths, and sexual orientation. When my eyes see beauty I am attracted to their smile or their cool sweater. You have every right to take a day off, Scott. We are all fans of your take on beauty whatever form that may be.

wwwfuzzyland.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 AM) : 

all the comments above just made me smile. fashion can change people's opinion even the serious stuff. so, go fashion! :D

 

Anonymous pikapikapika said ... (3:16 AM) : 

she looks great!!
being moslem woman doesnt mean you have to wear black or navy blue. trust me. come to indonesia and you'll see..

 

Blogger TorontoVerve Street Style said ... (3:26 AM) : 

Lovely photo.


www.torontoverve.org

 

Anonymous Abraham. said ... (3:27 AM) : 

Je n'avais même pas remarqué la moindre trace de quelque religion que ce soit mais seulement l'image resplendissante de cette jeune femme, belle, charmante et d'un air très sympa!
Tous mes compliments!!

 

Blogger Sara Lee Bentley said ... (3:29 AM) : 

Lovely smile. I love her yellow pants and blue sandals!

www.sarabbentley.blogspot.com
"Fashion and Style Interviews, Illustrations and Inspirations"

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (3:50 AM) : 

That beautiful woman mixes eastern and western elements with naturalness.I wish we could do it with our beliefs,our thought and prejudgements.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 AM) : 

Beautiful colours and textures, and she tops it off with a lovely smile.
I also love how those great shoes match the colour of the cobbled stone streets, but obviously that wasn't a conscious decision on her part..

 

Anonymous Alison said ... (4:09 AM) : 

I don't really care about how 'put together' she looks ... she's really lovely and a warm smile to boot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 AM) : 

loving the pants!!!!! that yeloow is amazing!

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (4:26 AM) : 

Awesome look, great colors and, of course, great photo!

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Anonymous notsurebut said ... (4:37 AM) : 

This is both a religious and a political way of dressing as sart is in europe at the moment i would imagine he has picked up on the fact that in certain countries certain types of religious clothing and artifacts are either in the process of being banned or already open to prosecution.

To me its immediately obvious that this woman is muslim and that she is having a great time dressing just as she likes within her own moral code as should we all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 AM) : 

Pretty hard to get 'lost' in Brussels, especially in between rue Dansaert and rue de Flandre
;-).

I agree with some commentators that the sentence " I won't get into religious and political issues of this woman" is so very unfortunate... .

Wonderful picture though of an extraordinary city in an exquisite country trying to struggle to survive. Would be great if you would show the world more than just one picture to do the city justice.

 

Anonymous Minx said ... (4:45 AM) : 

I'm liking the summer-winter mix here. Great trousers!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:51 AM) : 

stunning and dare i say electrifying?... with that wonderful (yes wonderful) yellow and genuine smile.

 

Blogger SuzieM said ... (4:53 AM) : 

i totally agree with every word you said.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 AM) : 

if there are political or religious issues with this picture it is in your mind sart or those of your more ignorant viewers.

She has a unique style and a great presence. I like that unlike the skinny models you like to photograph that all assume demure pigeon toed feet and faux naiviete, she stand proud and confident and doesn't hide that. the subtle colours balance out the many layers and the sandals contrast so well with the flowing pants.

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (5:00 AM) : 

It's hard for me not to immediately think: Why can we not see her hair?! but overcoming my immediate reactions towards religious restrictions this is a beautiful picture of a gorgeous lady with a full-of-life smile. In a way her outfit carries to potporri of cultures and influences we live in today - Love it!

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (5:24 AM) : 

love the shoes...gorgeous photo
...big words you're right

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 AM) : 

risky?! why is posting a photo of someone with a headscarf risky?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 AM) : 

Thank you for sharing this photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 AM) : 

thank you sartorialist for making me as a muslim woman feel like i am part of your world. over the years, you've inspired me, and many other muslim women. like the ones who run this blog: http://www.hijabshigh.com/ through the beauty of the everyday that you capture. i love all the photos and comments that you make, and they inspire me to try and incorporate them into my own style.

 

Blogger Eilish said ... (5:48 AM) : 

Beautiful Women with a Beautiful sense of Style :)


http://faialofa.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger inclassy said ... (6:00 AM) : 

Amazing sandals!Very nice look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 AM) : 

Nice, like the intellectual brussel style.


I'm going to Barcelona tomorrow, any good tips for stores there ?

Please : ) :)

 

Anonymous Selma said ... (6:06 AM) : 

You made it political by mentioning the religious and political issues. Why is there an assumption that politics and religion should be discussed in relation to this particular photo? Because she, semiotically, may be a Muslim is a reason to assume that something should be discussed? That there is an issue? Let's then discuss all the images you posted in the religious, political, racial terms. Or rather, let's not.
How disappointing.

 

Anonymous john said ... (6:14 AM) : 

sartorialist, i fully realise that your intentions are well meaning but by simply mentioning the "religious and political" you are making them an issue. i don't think there needs to be a political/religious discussion every time a muslim person is mentioned or depicted in the media. i mean, why single out the muslim for discussion? why not discuss anybody else's political leanings? further, do you not think you may be a little reductive in your assumptions about this lady? i think this further contributes to alienating the muslim community in western societies and within your blog. i'm sorry, i think your photographs are sensational but i found this comment problematic and unnecessary.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:14 AM) : 

Always enjoy your posts no matter how fast or how slow they come in. I like what you do ... never predictable. Keep us in limbo a little and we are yours forever!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 AM) : 

great, now finally Brussels has a post on the best fashion blog too!
And with such a beautiful picture, I'm very proud and happy, because I know it's not always easy to spot great individual style in our capital.

 

Anonymous Hajar said ... (6:48 AM) : 

I think maybe the reason Scott mentioned the political/religious affiliation of this beautiful woman is because Belgium has recently voted a law prohibiting the full veil in public places. So the debate is ongoing over there. she does look Arabic. I think that she has found a very fun way to cover her hair. It makes you forget about the strict religious dimension of the veil.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 AM) : 

I looooove the pants, I had forgotten that harem pants could look soooo good. The colour is amazing and I love the shoes.

I don't know if this woman is wearing a religious headscarf or not but I find that when Muslim women who choose to wear a hijab are also fashionable they do it sooo well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 AM) : 

I dream of Genie! (Great show....great pants!)

 

Blogger Cassiopeia said ... (7:24 AM) : 

Such a beautiful shot, and woman! Thanks for the commentary, and for everyone's comments... Yay for diversity. Her outfit is awesome, and though I'm not a denim lover normally, it adds something to the already lovely colour palette! Xxxc

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 AM) : 

very gracefull way of wearing the scarf...amazing pants!

 

Anonymous Asma Haji said ... (7:39 AM) : 

That's some pretty loaded commentary there, Sart. How can you be certain this woman is in fact a Muslim? For instance, she is wearing a head scarf and not a hijab. Are you assuming this based on her complexion? Her features? Her decency of dress? Perhaps it is you who should reconsider your judgements.

 

Blogger princess said ... (7:41 AM) : 

A BIG HAND !!!!!! lovely lovely. she is a spunky fashionista. nothing is out of place. this is called styling for me. thank you so much for posting this picture because this woman here knows the true meaning of fashion. love her. love it. i love her even more for combining what she wears with her religion.

 

Blogger T said ... (7:44 AM) : 

I would never expect anyone to comment on her religious and political choices( cringed at the word issues) This blog is not about that. She looks amazing, and her smile pulls it all together. She looks effortless.

 

Blogger Monsieur C. said ... (7:58 AM) : 

lovely pics but you sure is Brussels? not in France, this street look like rue de la cle in Lille...

 

Anonymous Mona said ... (7:58 AM) : 

This pic is sooooo Brussels! Great!

 

Anonymous Le_taulier said ... (8:10 AM) : 

Gorgeous photo!thank you

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 AM) : 

implying that this woman may have religious/political issues (regardless of her admirable style) because she's wearing a scarf is not fair.

i would like to point out that those in her community who cause havoc are extremists, and, in fact, what they are doing happens to be against the religion they profess to belong to; a religion which happens to propound peace and respect between those of different faiths.

so, even bringing the topic of her having 'religious or political issues' is bordering on discriminatory. it's as if being a Muslim has a certain stigma attached to it, when it really shouldn't.

all the same, the photo is gorgeous. and i love how happy she looks. =)

 

Blogger Madame en noire said ... (8:21 AM) : 

Buuf, I fell in love with this girl!
It's really cool.


www.lipsandpoppies.blogspot.com

 

Blogger cdenoyo said ... (8:21 AM) : 

I'm so happy to finally see Belgium on this blog! I'm an American studying here and find Brussels to be a beautiful city with beautiful people.

Also just to clear up some of your guys' confusion, when he said "religious and political issues", I'm pretty sure he's referring to the current controversy here in Belgium (and other European countries too) concerning the traditional muslim clothing, namely the burqa and niqab. Belgium has been trying to set a full ban on such attire. I don't think this law has actually been fully passed at this point (Belgium's government is currently going through a strike of some sorts- in other words: no active government.) but it's creating quite the controversy none the less. Belgium was the first country to make a movement towards a burqa/niqab ban and I think Germany, the Netherlands and France are following its lead..... These facts may not be perfect, and I'm sorry if I got some wrong. You can probably find some articles to explain it better than I did! : )

 

Blogger Ostendaise said ... (8:25 AM) : 

Glad you made it to Brussels, Scott! Go on, admit it... Maasmechelen is a bit of a waste of time, right?

 

Anonymous T said ... (8:25 AM) : 

I have you on my google reader so I am updated with your posts just as I am updated with my daily news. No need to visit your site and be disappointed when there are no new posts.

The human element of this blog is part of what makes it appealing.

This woman depicts everything that I find beautiful. Her bold sense of style especially shows that she has a healthy sense of adventure when it comes to style, and this we may project is also true to how she lives her life.

 

Blogger Natalia said ... (8:33 AM) : 

Great outfit, I love the shoes!

The (im)Perfect Harmony

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:54 AM) : 

Wow, this is an amazing mix of styles and she really pulls it off. The shoes are fabulous...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

the pants are great...

 

Blogger sk said ... (8:59 AM) : 

I love this one! She is gorgeous, and looks so happy. Also, I want her pants! Actually, I'm not sure I could pull them off (haha, no pun intended), but she is definitely rocking them on her lovely tall frame!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:02 AM) : 

Love the shoes and jacket. I want them both!!!!

 

Anonymous Middleseason said ... (9:15 AM) : 

This girl is very pretty as her look modern and confortable. I often wear in this way.The trousers are fantastic. I don't like the head scarf dressed in this way only for an aesthetic reason: too much lower on the her beatiful face

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:15 AM) : 

As a Muslim I cannot help but get excited at seeing a woman in hijab on here. Not only is she gorgeous, her style is fresh and colourful. She is bright and lovely to look at. Too often headscarves and other forms of hijab are not seen as parts of a person's attire, rather something separate and required, therefore lacking in any and all style. Well, men and women who cover know how to style their various hijab with their outfits. And yes, many men wear hijab too, not in the same form. But those kuffayahs that got so popular in the West (the black and white checkered scarves) are worn a lot of the time by men.
Thank you for this picture. Thank you for reminding readers and viewers that beauty truly does come in all forms.

 

Blogger Eternal Worrier said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Great photo. I love your blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Not sure I understand what the political or religious issues are related to this photo.

 

Blogger Ellie said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Amazing visual,very inspiring.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I was shocked but in a positive way ; you took this in Brussels !!
Did not even know you would be interested in our little country at all ! But what a great shot this is and just like another commenter said before ; the political or religious does not sublime this picture ; it's her feet that draw all the attention here ! Love the shoes !

 

Anonymous christina said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Now that's what I am talkin about! What a beacon of joy on a dreary day in NYC! I really never see anyone do the harem pants right, but she wears them perfectly....shoes are too cool!

I say wait til you have a pic to post rather than post like "clockwork"....You more than anyone prove there is no one way to do anything!

Carry on!

 

Blogger Addict said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Love her sandals. And those bright yellow pants. Great picture.

http://outfitaddict.com

 

Blogger Contact said ... (10:29 AM) : 

the pants are fantastic! i never would have paired everything together, but it works on her

<3
heelsandinspiration.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM) : 

To me, a smile on a face makes a good basis for mutual political acceptance, as the essence of politics is about people willing to live together.

Furthermore, I will always prefer the girl next door with a smily face - and quite some style from time to time - to the sad and antipathetic face of a skinny model wrapped in rags, wearing dirty sneakers, and too confident in the fact that her excentricity makes her any stylish.

 

Anonymous nat said ... (10:44 AM) : 

don't get it twisted...muslim girls all over the world are working it! i just had one of those moments, when i felt like you were pointing out the elephant in the room, but there was only a mouse. to say you wish we all could get along is implying that being muslim is so foreign and gives a sense of 'other' to a group of people. we are getting along, but the underlying prejudices in that comment (unintentional, i'm sure) is the problem. YES, she is most likely muslim and is part of her identity, and is beautiful, and should be celebrated..not taken away. i love your work, and i love it so much i had to say something.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Politics ?
Are you talking about this Flemish/Walloon thing ?
:-)

She is very nice and smily. Feel like asking her :

"Excusez-moi mademoiselle, je cherche la rue de la clé..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

So No- go. The shoes do not fit. At the top she is dressed for printemps ad at the bottom for summer.. I do not know but for me this combination does not work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

you're great sart. really you are. thanks

 

Blogger Sing of Singature Style said ... (11:42 AM) : 

The layers are amazing. Very inspiring.

 

Anonymous sophie.s said ... (11:42 AM) : 

hate the cloak. like the headscarf. way too much for me and totally out of proportions.

 

Blogger Esther said ... (11:50 AM) : 

The story behind this photo makes the woman and image all the more beautiful. Thanks for the lovely reminder- that getting lost oftentimes results in the best surprises.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

I love it!
So nice when you see people dressed in a way that is free from the predictability of fashion.
I didn't make any kind of religious or political judgments when I saw this. Just a beautiful woman that seems free in herself and her style.

I enjoy your blog a lot and when you enjoy something it's so much nicer when it comes in bursts and spouts rather than predictably regular, three times a day.

In any case, just do what you enjoy and feel is right and that'll be just perfect. (:

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

Lovely smile and earthy colours.

How do they, however, indicate her religiousity in any way whatsoever? ;)

Were you just feeling cranky? If so -- hugs.

 

Blogger nic said ... (11:54 AM) : 

she is phenomenal. and much like most of the other's who left comments, I never would have noticed anything but beauty when looking at her smiling face.

 

Anonymous john said ... (12:24 PM) : 

thank you to those that have provided some clarification about the recent change in Belgian law... however, this lady is wearing neither a burqa, a niqab, or even a hijab so i still don't quite see how the controversy applies. the comment, though well meaning, is highly charged and choc full of assumptions. i think that singling this woman out as different from a norm (style aside, of course), fuels dangerous prejudices. as i said before though, great pictures, and i hope you don't mind the feedback. thanks.

 

Anonymous foodhogger said ... (12:30 PM) : 

That last paragraph was totally unnecessary.

Love the shoes!

 

Blogger Creative Promotional Ideas said ... (12:34 PM) : 

I thought her smile was very interesting and I did notice how she was fully clothed. I just thought she was cold.

Love the shoes!

 

Blogger marlie said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I love this photo! The first things that I noticed was her ankles and shoes, and then I took in the whole picture (she looks great!). If you hadn't written about making a political statement, I would have just viewed it as a beautiful, stylish woman with her hair wrapped in a scarf or headdress (and I don't think it's the first time you've shown that).

The fact that she's wearing it for a reason other than fashion, or to cover up a bad hair day, is insignificant. I mean, how often do you explain why your other "models" decide to wear what they wear?

All this to say, you do a wonderful job capturing the essence of stylish and interesting people, and that's all that matters!

 

Anonymous Aline said ... (12:36 PM) : 

Thank you!!! Merci! She is radiant and I love her style! Happy to have my sisters finally represented in a different light! Style is style! Voila! Great Blog!

 

Blogger marlie said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Also, in terms of the frequency of your posts, I have no expectation of the frequency that you post. But each and every one of your posts is like a little bit of sartorial sunshine in my feedreader whenever it does pop up.

 

Blogger anthony said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I couldn't suss out the religious thing and I guess that's good too! Great jacket and denim waistcoat. Not keen on the shoes. I've noticed you don't post on weekends because...I keep checking :)

 

Blogger Light Waters said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I understand what your friend was trying to communicate - but I think the key to any successful blog is consistency not uniformity. Not every day or week needs to have the same amount of posts. We know you're not going anywhere and you post consistently. And I appreciate that you aren't just putting up "fodder for the masses" so to speak.

As for this lovely girl... as many Canadians have noted - this is not a rarity here. It is always great to see how women of many different faiths here in Toronto work with their wardrobes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

Oh, about those three times a day checking your blog- it's absolutely right. I found out about it last month and since then i have checked it hundred times. And this picture is very beautiful, i love the colours and smile :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Just wanted to say that she looks great. The controversy about Muslim women and what they wear is doubly loaded because this is Belgium which has parties that are against wearing Islamic dress. Freedom in a democracy is just that... freedom.

 

Anonymous Martin said ... (1:11 PM) : 

Ouch. So much highmindedness in response to what is clearly a well-intentioned preemptive comment about politics and religion. I don't see much difference in Sart's and many of the commenters'positions. Both indicate that this woman is styling. Period.

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (1:28 PM) : 

That's one of the reasons I love your blog - you post from the heart, and it shows. Thank you!

 

Anonymous Spexxy said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Religious and political issues? Would the same be said if this were a picture of a Jewish man wearing a yamulke?

 

Blogger Mcmaris said ... (2:14 PM) : 

I love her outfit! The yellow pants and shoes especially!

 

Blogger Lauren Palladino said ... (2:17 PM) : 

the color contrast is beautiful. and the smile on her face is pure confidence, the best accessory for any woman.

 

Anonymous Laguna Beach Trad, Take Your Racist Sentiments Elsewhere, Please said ... (2:23 PM) : 

Dearest Sart,

This picture is beautiful!!!! And, like many others mentioned, I very much appreciate that you only post what you feel right posting and don't just "feed the masses" any old thing.

On a more negative note, I'm feeling that I finally need to bring up my issue with the commenter named "Laguna Beach Trad." In his recent post here, he proclaimed his support for Vlaams Belang, a political party in Belgium that REJECTS multiculturalism and only accepts a multiethnic society in Belgium as long as people of non-Flemish backgrounds assimilate to Flemish culture.

I have been watching "Laguna Beach Trad" very closely because he CONTINUALLY posts racist sentiments. This was the last straw for me and I thought this was important to mention to our online community.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Hey Sart,
Anonymous and Selma just checked you! Don’t publicize your ignorance. Read their post and thoroughly consider them carefully.

 

Blogger lalaforfashion said ... (2:34 PM) : 

True style transcends cultures and religions! This girl is full of style and attitude and you captured it! Koodos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

Hello,

I ve seen that almost all the pictures are from the biggest countries. I am from Roumania and I want to please you to take pictures in this country, too. I am sure that you can find interesting things, too.
Claudia

 

Blogger Sarah Dee said ... (2:54 PM) : 

I WANT THOSE PANTS!

Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:58 PM) : 

"because the romantic in me wishes that we all could just get along ... and celebrate the differences that keep this human family so interesting"

nice :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:12 PM) : 

Brussels is wonderful and you can find there wonderful people as well.

 

Blogger TussahSilk said ... (3:17 PM) : 

Great picture. Her style is unique, and I like that the proportions are unexpected. Love the shock of ochre/yellow/turmeric colour. And it's all topped of by a fabulous smile - the best accessory ever!

 

Blogger Nerea said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Love her pants!!!!!!!!

 

Blogger Beth said ... (3:36 PM) : 

Love it! First thing I noticed was the mustard yellow harem pants peeking through. She put together a very casual and comfortable eye catching look. Well done.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:54 PM) : 

I wasn't thinking 'religious' either and would never have noticed. I love her smile and her yella pants-she looks free and happy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:09 PM) : 

I don't see why "the religious and political issues of this woman" should ever be pointed out by anybody.

It crazy that the world has come to this e.g Criticizing peoples "differences". I find that people that are critical of other people's identity are not aware that different sets of people live in this world. One must be ignorant to think that everything should look or be the same.

 

Blogger the nickel fit said ... (4:17 PM) : 

quite charming.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting