This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Influencers - Camera Ready, Arthur Elgort

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Influencers - Camera Ready, Arthur Elgort


I never trained to be a photographer, so this book was my first real insight into the thought process of making a good image. Written for a true beginner, this book discusses such basic concepts as filling the frame, capturing emotion (both happy and sad), and reacting to the action around you. Before spending a load of money on photography classes, or other books and manuals - try finding this book on eBay and really try to absorb Mr. Elgort's advice. His writing style is so easy and unpretentious that it will make you feel anything is possible.

Comments on "The Influencers - Camera Ready, Arthur Elgort"

 

Blogger Style Scanner said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Think that's probably just started a bidding war on Ebay now!

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Arthur Elgort is amazing - I have his Models Manual book and every time I open it is like the first time!

 

Blogger Stefan said ... (10:43 AM) : 

I must still be waking up, I majorly misinterpreted the subtitle. If you take it out of the context of photography, it has not-so-funny ramifications.

Thanks for sharing your inspiration. It's wild to think you were never trained as a photographer!

 

Blogger taryn said ... (10:45 AM) : 

I love Arthur Elgort! His pictures are always so beautiful. I had the pleasure of working with him on a couple of shoots and he is so incredible and surprisingly completely unpretentious.

Great man and a great talent!

 

Blogger ediot said ... (10:52 AM) : 

such a cute kid on that book. great tip.

 

Blogger JustNorman said ... (11:00 AM) : 

nice title. go arthur.

http://www.justnorman.blogspot.com/
the blog that no one knows about

 

Blogger Jamie Jonathan Ball said ... (11:16 AM) : 

truly a wonderful book!

 

Blogger Catherine said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Thanks! Off to amazon!!

Completely loving the chattier posts, I admire your images so much it's great to hear some more on your thought process.

 

Anonymous shoe york city said ... (12:48 PM) : 

Something very Royal Tenenbaums about the art direction of this Elgort book. Scott, do you disclose to readers/aficionados how you use daytime flash to fill subjects in your book (I know it's not a how-to book, but a girl's got to dream)? It's something I haven't been able to teach myself. Thanks. www.shoeyorkcity.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Weird title!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Thank you for the advice, I am in the process of buying my first nice digital reflex (hesitating between nikon and canon) and was actually considering wether one of those courses would be a good idea.

I'll first try this book...I'll tell you all about my improvements, jeje

 

Blogger Mr. Badami said ... (1:55 PM) : 

What an unfortunate title, though...

'how to shoot your kids'.....

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (2:00 PM) : 

LOVE him.

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Must follow that advice! I must say that photography classes can be helpful, but nothing beats getting out and just clicking away as many days of the week as possible. Thanks for the insight into your inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

That was going to be the title of my book! I guess I'll need to find somthing other than how to shoot your kids.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:47 PM) : 

thank you for your advice, it gives me hope that i can improve my photography with just a book! i hated the idea of having to attend a formal class and i do so love to shoot my kids. Hx

 

Blogger Moomby said ... (7:53 PM) : 

very cool! thanks for sharing your influences!

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (8:15 PM) : 

thank you for the advice, scott!
just tok your recommendation and ordered mine off of half.

i'll get to reading :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 PM) : 

ohhh thanks for that. I might seek that book out!! And I have pre-ordered your book - coming all the way to New Zealand. Yay, can't wait!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 PM) : 

"how to shoot your kids" lols. everytime i talk to my model/photographers go, i imagine what other people must be thinking when they hear me say that.

 

Anonymous Nathalie said ... (2:09 AM) : 

Thank you! love your posts lately!

 

Anonymous Charotte Collard Blog said ... (2:29 AM) : 

Arthur is an amazing person! I worked with him so many times and he is always been for me the best person to work with! So professional but so respectful towards the team! This photographer is a dream! I really miss him a lot!

 

Blogger bird of light said ... (6:26 PM) : 

nice! Great advice.

 

Blogger Elicia said ... (10:37 PM) : 

i wanna see if my library has this book.

 

Blogger S. said ... (11:29 PM) : 

I'm totally baffled by the number of people who misread the subtitle. What the hell is going on in the collective subconscious.

RE: this post. Excellent book.

 

Blogger miguelito said ... (1:35 AM) : 

i'd never have guessed, for one, that you'd never trained as a photographer... you are such an inspiration to me now, seeing how you went from sales to your true passion, and doing it with such panache and finesse while at it, producing amazing, inspiring work... hopefully the decisions i've, and still have to make will allow to live out my dream too, even though my path at the moment is apparently leading me another way... thank you, scott... cheers to your first book!

 

Anonymous all-in-the-silhouette said ... (11:12 AM) : 

I worked with Arthur many moons ago. At the time, fashion was his mainstay and he was shooting ballerinas on the side. Those dancer shots were pure art.

Hi Arthur!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:24 PM) : 

I would love to read that. Love to! I was taking a picture of some sisters this weekend and one was happy and smiley and the other stoic. At first I tried repeatedly to get her to smile and then something clicked in my head, that this child was not a constanly smiley child. And you know what, it is ok for her to be photographed as she is : ) Hopefully the mommy thinks that too, right? :)

 

Blogger Monica Aguinaga said ... (10:19 AM) : 

I need that book! thanks for sharing

 

Anonymous Fifi said ... (2:31 PM) : 

I love the font on these books

 

Blogger Pj said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Wow this is such a greay way of learning about photography without acutally having to join a photography class! Thanks, I'll tell my sister about it!

http://www.crossingyouinstylesomeday.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (9:47 AM) : 

I love these posts sharing the books that influenced you... thank you.

 

Blogger AilanthusAltissima said ... (10:11 AM) : 

I love the title. It stopped me in my tracks.

 

Anonymous aliomi said ... (10:31 PM) : 

Great person. Great photographer. Great family. Love the Elgorts

aliomi.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:26 PM) : 

i appreciate it immensely that you share this. It surprises me though thatyou never trained!!! On the other hand I don't believe in taking classes as a must. This just proves it.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting