This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......New York Look, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

On the Street......New York Look, NYC

Comments on "On the Street......New York Look, NYC"

 

Blogger Adriana Ximenes said ... (9:06 AM) : 

I love the style ... The scarf on the neck is always a charm ...

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (9:06 AM) : 

so refreshing. I love her little jean jacket, and her bulky scarf. That light from behind her is perfect. great shoes too

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Pretty! Spring in winter. Denim jacket + that skirt are an unexpected combo. Very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

I am loving the jean jacket under overcoat looks I keep seeing. It adds so much visual interest. I would personally remove the jean jacket as well once I was inside. I think its best as an outdoors statement as it breaks up the dressiness of the overall look.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (9:20 AM) : 

I want to like this look, please help me. I love the scarf, I like the jean jacket, fitted perfectly! I think the shoes are killer. I guess my beef is the fabric of the skirt, and whether it goes with the rest of the outfit, especially the brocade. Maybe Prada made brocade so collection-specific that it looks instantly old? Jorge from WPB

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 AM) : 

pretty as sunshine :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 AM) : 

The woman is not trying too hard and she looks fresh and lovely... like spring is on the way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Beautiful lady, beautiful smile, beautiful outfit.

 

Blogger ryder said ... (9:22 AM) : 

I love the layered denim. I have been thinking about incorporating that into my transitional look from winter to spring. Here it it done just right.

 

Blogger plate snapper said ... (9:24 AM) : 

layering with jean jackets is rarely ever bad... i like the juxtaposition of the shrunken jacket with the boxy, drapey coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

First comment Yay!

Very cutish look!nice shoes

 

Blogger Olly said ... (9:30 AM) : 

really cool.

love the jacket

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

Great look. Love the denim jacket. Have been trying out a similar thing, but not managed to make it work so well. Fantastic scarf

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

She is standing like Hedi Klum - look at her feet!

 

Blogger heleen said ... (9:34 AM) : 

ohhh she's pretty

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

I love the skirt and the coat, and she makes the whole thing work, but to me the denim jacket looks slightly uncomfortable worn like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

I love how the light is shining through her hair.... She looks like an icon in this light!! Or sort of angel...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

No one dresses better than New Yorkers!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Mary-Kate Steinmiller from Milwaukee, WI!

 

Blogger Mo said ... (10:02 AM) : 

great layering!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:04 AM) : 

I have to disagree with the title of this post...but that's just my personal view on a typical NY-look.

She looks scandinavian to me. And I'm not talking about the girl ('cause she coincidentally looks like Swedish girl).

A typical NY-look to me is a Sex And The City lady. :)
But that's because I have watched way too many episodes of SATC. :)

Lovely pic though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

i love her style it's pretty sweeet

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

The girl from two posts down is Jennifer Aniston, and this girl is Alicia Silverstone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Lovely layers, but how about a pic of the lady to the right?

 

Blogger Julicious Fashionicious said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Sunny Girl :)
I like how she is looking.Maybe only jeans jacket under such a good coat making view lil bit negligent!

 

Blogger Jinsol said ... (11:00 AM) : 

I've always wondered how all girls in New York have killer killer painful heels and walk in them all day. I love them but I can't walk hours in them. Do you just bear the pain? Do you carry an extra pair of walking shoes?

 

Blogger Uptown Girl said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Jack Daniel I 100% agree with you!
While I think she looks fantastic and I'm loving the look, it is so un-NYC.
I live in Manhattan and that is just not a style I've ever seen...
I see a lot of 'hipster' these days. Or, a better representations would be to photograph the lady wearing the strappy high heel bootie in the bottom right corner of the pic.
Great pic tho!

 

Blogger Krysta Marie said ... (11:18 AM) : 

i love the denim jacket under the coat, great look!

 

Blogger stylethread said ... (11:21 AM) : 

interesting. the jean jacket just looks uncomfortable to me for some reason...

~stylethread.activeboard.com

 

Blogger Cris Piera said ... (11:25 AM) : 

perfect

 

Blogger KayLanden said ... (11:52 AM) : 

I love the return of the jean jacket. I used to have some great vintage ones .. I definitely need to dig those up! I love this look with the scarf because I find a scarf can always liven up an outfit and its perfect for a day that has a bit of a chill to it. I love her shoes too.. where did she get them!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

What are those shoes?!

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Love on her scarf and her denim jacket from '94!

 

Blogger Relaunched said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Salut,

it shows the contrast between winter and spring. The woman would like to wear light clothes, but its too cold to do this without scarf and this beautiful high quality coat.
The dress she is wearing seems to be from Dubai. There are merchants who have those coloured fabrics in their sortiments.
But i think the designer is from america or westeurope.

What i absolutly love: The SHORT jeans jacket.

A bientôt,
Jérôme

 

Blogger Laura K said ... (12:13 PM) : 

I remember her - she had the flower necklace in bryant park. I like the denim and the skirt.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Isn't she one of the Teen Voguettes? She always looks great. Conservative but with a slightly funky edge and/or witty personal twist.

I like what she's got going here. I'm a big fan of the tight jean jacket 'neath the bigger coat.

I love that she's not wearing all black. Most fashion people who live in black just look to me like they want to be safe or "cool" and actually have no imagination (K. Lanphear and E. Alt are, of course, heavenly exceptions - they rock it).

 

Blogger pigeon.toed said ... (12:16 PM) : 

I'm with everyone else; the denim jacket underneath that amazing coat is an interesting juxtaposition. she looks great....is she from the teen vogue team?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

eek that denim should burn. cute outfit otherwise.

 

Blogger chalortte said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Well I love that ! Love the satorlialist too

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

It almost seems randomly put together, but all the pieces fit so well.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (12:54 PM) : 

a little denim jacket is and always will be a basic piece in one's wardrobe..
Extremely interesting when it's not too cold or just not warm enough to go outside without something extra...
Love the way she has turned her scarf around her neck ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Excellently understated. Is it the khaki colored overcoat w/ the black buttons that pull everything together so well? Is it the little denim jacket that gives the look a spark? Is it the black and gold skirt, the structured black and gold bag and the black shoes that are giving the look some polish? I'm not really sure but she certainly looks effortless.

 

Blogger CHOCHI said ... (12:59 PM) : 

i love her style! cool!

 

Blogger Mariona said ... (1:03 PM) : 

I love the look, well selected overlays, Kisses from Barcelona

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

It's Mary-Kate Steinmiller! Associate Market Editor at Teen Vogue. How do all of the editors at Teen Vogue look so chic?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

Great mix. I love it! Don't know about the reference to NY look but keeping warm with layers works everywhere.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

beauty

 

Blogger Marte S. said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Love this outfit. I'm not a big fan of the denim, but s
omehow this works!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

The photo is absolutely wonderful. Love the light.

 

Blogger hawthorne girl said ... (1:45 PM) : 

I love her look. Does anyone know what kind of shoes she is wearing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

BEAUTIFUL

 

Blogger J. Cochran said ... (1:57 PM) : 

Great photo. She obviously is quite confident in her sense of style. You can pull nearly any outfit off with the right attitude. It's the light shining from within. So pretty!

 

Blogger mette said ... (2:06 PM) : 

What a relaxing outfit. Everything is well-planned and yet so imperfect. I like her style. It leaves space for my imagination too.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:10 PM) : 

I like the structure of the handbag and her skirt.


Not too much of a fan of the shirt...too wild, wild West for me!

 

Blogger Shadan said ... (2:15 PM) : 

she is a kind who knows how to style herself effortlessly! very nice...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

if this woman does not mind haha i shall wear something that looks like this tomorrow. thank you for the inpiration

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

Like Jorge, I really want to like this. I like the individual pieces, but the whole seems less than the sum of its parts. I think what it's missing (IMHO) is a pop of color, especially with that great expanse of very neutral coat. Swap in a rich colored scarf and straighten the coat lapels and we're cookin' with gas. I'd really like to see it without the coat and scarf, 'cause I'm sure that it's great.

 

Blogger Mary said ... (3:14 PM) : 

Such a great look for her!

 

Blogger Manja said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I love it how she makes this jean jacket look so elegant

 

Blogger Lexie said ... (3:31 PM) : 

that jean jacket is a pleasant surprise!

 

Blogger Wanderlusting said ... (3:47 PM) : 

HATE the denim.

On anyone, really.

Just think it belongs on the legs and if you're gonna do a denim jacket or shirt, at least do a darker wash.

But that's just my style.

Other than that though, I like this shot, the light yadda yadda but also her coat and the scarf - such lovely light neutrals.

www.ontheblogbandwagon.blogspot.com

PS would also like to know how New Yorkers - since they walk everywhere - can bear such shoes all day long? What's the secret?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:09 PM) : 

love that coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

I like how I'm seeing a lot more looks these days incorporating denim in this fashion.

 

Blogger MONI said ... (4:31 PM) : 

I've never seen soo many layers look so well together!
http://www.moneasywardrobe.com

 

Blogger The Voguette said ... (4:46 PM) : 

i love how she mixes fabrics, this is exquisite!

http://the-voguette.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Vespinha said ... (5:05 PM) : 

What about Lisbon some day?

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (5:07 PM) : 

She looks great! No hard edges.

I'm seeing these denim jackets and I'm wondering what to do with the one my husband gave me. You know, the arms are too long and it's not like I could wear it as is (or even one my own size). I keep looking at the jacket, the fabric, the yarn, the beads ... the beadazzler!

At my age, and in my town, I can beadazzle.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 PM) : 

to the poster wondering how us ny-ladies do the heels - yes, there is usually a pair of flats or flip flops stuffed away in those giant bags we schlep around with us! In any office I've worked in here, there was always at least one woman who kept several pairs of fabulous heels tucked away in her desk or cabinets. The routine - walk to work in something more comfortable, spend the day in towering beauty, perhaps wear them home if you have some place to be.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:46 PM) : 

Love. Can anyone ID the shoes?

 

Blogger Hannah said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I'm surprised to see a Sart outfit that doesn't do it for me! No idea why...maybe it's the scarf in a snake coil? Maybe it's not a particular piece, but just how they all bake together. Oh, the unpredictable tyranny of personal taste! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

To the person who asked about this young woman's previous appearance on this blog: Her photo, taken in Bryant Park, was published on 9.8.08. Only reason I know that is because the storialist--who often writes free verse based on the sartorialist's photos--wrote about her then, and again today.
(He also did a great piece on Signor Pipoli, whose photo appeared here yesterday.)

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (8:25 PM) : 

Not an "eye catcher" but she looks lovely...her stance only adds to how good this really looks. Love how her scarf seemed entwined with her blond hair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

absolutely stunning as always miss mk.

 

Blogger TheMinx said ... (9:05 PM) : 

this is gorgeous-really charming and chic but still looks comfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 PM) : 

The shoes are Gucci Fall 08

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 PM) : 

hmm i actually dont like the denim jacket.. they usually don't do it for me and teh wearer must do it perfectly for me to appreciate it. however, i do love the heavenly lighting that is cast upon her!

 

Blogger Cassie Jo - Tofuscloset said ... (10:25 PM) : 

love the layers! oh i wish we could layer here where i live

 

Blogger VirginiaWestfield said ... (10:36 PM) : 

diggit.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:35 PM) : 

This makes me excited for winter. Layers are most fabulous, especially in this instance.

 

Blogger J. M. said ... (2:48 AM) : 

Great style.

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (7:11 AM) : 

i like the mixing of jeans jacket and classical (wool) coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 AM) : 

Great combination of neutrals. and I can't believe no one is mentioning the ombre scarf. It is gorgeous the way she's managed to wind it around.

 

Blogger ® said ... (12:14 PM) : 

i really like this shot (also a lot more and the fashion bit) with the natural light from the back which i think did a perfect outline of the subject and highlighted the details in front. inspiring works you have there. btw what camera you are on?

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (4:44 AM) : 

Both sweet and sophisticated.

But she really doesn't look American, unless she's in the fashion business and goes to Europe a lot.

The most intriguing use of denim ever.

 

Blogger São João said ... (5:22 AM) : 

this light... oh my god... she looks just like an angel...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

ok she is great.. but shes not 50 yet everybody.... this look is nice but made her look 20 years older.... i feel like... this gorgeous face and those sweet feet posing...do not belong to this body ...but i admit... its hard to layer all those stuff and look good..and i admit...she did a good job... but no fun at all

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 AM) : 

Love love love it. Especially the denim jacket underneath, perfect layering.

 

Blogger Phede said ... (2:29 PM) : 

beautiful outfit!

 

Blogger Phede said ... (2:55 PM) : 

She's so lovely! Beautiful outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Simply the best!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 PM) : 

she's rather angelic looking, i cant stop looking at her beautiful hair hehe!

i like how she looks like she's not trying too hard.. and she actually looks comfortable.

never in a million years would i think to put together an outfit like this, but on her, it works. i especially love her skirt, its divine!

 

Blogger R said ... (1:41 AM) : 

love the scarf, jean jacket and long coat combination.
just gorgeous!

 

Blogger SOPHIA said ... (5:56 PM) : 

Those shoes and that scarf are absolutely divine. She obviously knows how to layer properly and definitely thinks about what she wears.

-Sophie (http://bonjourmodele.blogspot.com)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

Cute!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

Very nice light

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 PM) : 

Cuuuutie!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting