This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Near the Duomo, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, September 25, 2008

On the Street.....Near the Duomo, Milano



I have been up every night till 2 or 3am working on images since I arrived in Milan. As you can imagine I am pretty exhausted but the story that goes with this image is very cute so I will try to write it tonight or on the train to Paris.

Comments on "On the Street.....Near the Duomo, Milano"

 

Blogger No Not Now said ... (4:41 AM) : 

Gorgeous! I wish this enchanting little man was my grand papa!

 

Blogger e l l e said ... (4:47 AM) : 

Perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 AM) : 

I love this shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 AM) : 

Perfect

L.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 AM) : 

Great timeless style. The clothes are beautiful but the thing that makes this photo is the old man's humanity and humour.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 AM) : 

he seems like the kind of grandpa who would have wonderful memories to recount by the fireplace while smoking a pipe

perhaps it is better to let us write our own story about him ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:04 AM) : 

What a dapper fellow, such attention to detail. Looks natural, not costumed. Perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 AM) : 

Yes! Some Old Man Style again at long last!

Keep these stylish old geezers coming Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 AM) : 

A wonderfull man! He really looks like an old italian man! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 AM) : 

I don't think you should wish to replace your grandfather.

He looks great though :)

 

Blogger La Condesa said ... (6:27 AM) : 

Now THAT is class!
What a wonderfull man. I feel like hughing him.
Must tell beautiful stories I'm sure

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 AM) : 

This gentleman is a true inspiration. Everything he is wearing has been chosen with thought, care and taste. He looks so elegant and charming. When I see pictures like this i think who needs catwalks?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 AM) : 

He's so class ! Love it !!

 

Blogger Paris Fast Food said ... (6:59 AM) : 

I'm excited to see some Paris street fashion in your blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Despite the beautifull people and fashion chlothing usually showing, what really outstands here is the photographer. One can almost feel this man's mood. Touchy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 AM) : 

Gorgeous. By the way you know that it's cheaper to go to Paris by the fky than the train ?

 

Blogger Jean said ... (8:20 AM) : 

I love seeing older people who still have great style. He looks very dapper!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

magnifico!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

I want my grandfather looks like this guy.i like a Burberry trench coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 AM) : 

would love to hear the story. he's gorgeous. want to meet him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

This man has more style than most people dream of having. He clearly enjoys dressing and allows quality to speak for itself.

 

Blogger tal said ... (8:58 AM) : 

My future husband better dress as well. This guy just screams "style and sophistication!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Just Excellent...wow wow wow

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

Is a real gentleman!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

THIS is what polish is...time tested and perfected. His look is like great wine, smooth, comfortable, yet with enough dash to keep it interesting (the ring is a nice touch). Great shot by the way with the stone at his feet and the building at his back. The colors around him make his face and rich autumn tones pop off the photo.

 

Blogger Libero Mureddu said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Great! I was born in Milan, and, what can I say, this is sooooo Milan style :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Moving character, style and picture. I love how all the commenters appreciated the shot.

 

Blogger marichuka said ... (10:08 AM) : 

an absolut gentleman!
x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

This is the most perfect picture I have ever seen. I know you must have been really excited to see how this came out. Congratulations on such a beautiful job.
~Yokoo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Very dapper, indeed. This gentleman has no use for the flash and fuss so many people affect in the name of "fashion." My dad used to wear a coat something like that one. I wish he were still around to wear it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Adorable (!!) and oh-so-dapper.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

it turned out he is from your family? :-)

Or is about the Burberry trench? Can't wait to know the story!!!

xxx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

old man style. awesome.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Adorable! I wish all men looked so classy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I want a grandad who dresses like this....playerrr

 

Blogger Erica said ... (11:19 AM) : 

What a great picture. I love this man. I want to give him a hug too.

 

Blogger Marga - ModaQueMola said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Loved the look of this man. It makes me think on my grandfather that I love so much!

And oh my god, near the Duomo, that makes the image even more magic.

Very stylish as always!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Ah, the first Burberry trench post of the fall/winter season.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

I want to be just like him when I finally grow up !!! The ring suggests nobility, or even a title perhaps

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Perfecto! A man this stylish would probably smell good too. I wander what kind of cologne he's wearing...wish I were standing close enough to know.

 

Blogger Makayla Steiner said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Why, oh why do so few men dress up like this anymore? I love this picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

classic.

 

Blogger stephen said ... (12:50 PM) : 

ahh! he's reaching to pinch my cheeks.

he looks warm and cozy too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

He's wonderful! I adore seeing well dressed elderly men, for some reason it brings a smile to my face.
He carries over the trench as cape and the hat with such panace, and his facial expression is so soft and kind!
That grey sweater he's wearing looks wonderful, too, I like the touch of grey, and even in this photo, the wool looks incredible.


I cannot wait to hear the story!

 

Blogger PunkiMeowMeow said ... (1:28 PM) : 

My dad used to dress this way. I'm actually getting teary eyed. I love it when men wear a real chapeaux (not baseball caps). Very dapper indeed!

Looking forward to the cute story.

 

Blogger Hannah Stephenson said ... (1:45 PM) : 

I also can't wait to hear the story here. He looks fashionable and sweet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

Dapper and happy. I love the smirk on his face. He looks like a million bucks.
Good on ya.

 

Blogger AstridVU said ... (2:04 PM) : 

I love this man!

 

Blogger AstridVU said ... (2:05 PM) : 

I love this man, I just know it!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:12 PM) : 

I'm not sure about his gray v-neck sweater with this suit, but he certainly looks like a dapper gentleman if there ever was!

Rest well! I can't wait to hear the story that's attached. I love when stories are attached to pieces of clothing and people...it's just so whimsical.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Ooh, a Burberry trench!

My next Burberry investment. <3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I love this shot!

 

Blogger Milt-fresh_best-dressed said ... (2:56 PM) : 

This gentleman has an exquisit and timeless taste. I mean look at the classic burberry trench. The Jacket is lovely and the hat is what brings it all together. A lot of men feel hats are a bit costumy. However in this case the hat adds class to the picture. Lets take a toast to old school flava!!! FuZz!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:17 PM) : 

This picture is wonderful in every way!

 

Blogger Glowing Doll said ... (3:36 PM) : 

He looks like a carbon-copy of my late paternal grandfather.

Beautiful pic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 PM) : 

Please don't forget to write the story.... I'll be on the lookout.

 

Blogger David Fang said ... (3:51 PM) : 

what a grand old man. i'd like to look that good someday.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

This guy dresses a heck of a lot better than most young people who think they're oh, so stylish. We should all take a few pointers from this guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

I have the same Burb. trench (same pewter color)... Maybe, just maybe, in 40 years I will be able to wear it 1/2 as well as this guy.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (5:11 PM) : 

I love to see a well-dressed older man. He looks fantastic, top to toe!

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (5:11 PM) : 

Tasteful, elegant, charming and humorous! I now know what I want to look like at that age! Thanks for featuring age & dignity!

 

Blogger southerngentinL.A. said ... (5:28 PM) : 

This gentleman just put a huge smile on my face,as did the elderly man on the park bench in Harlem. When I used to sell suits these guys were my favorite customers. Why? You'd better be on top of your game! He's probably shopped at the same place and with the same salesman for forty years. He's the man you stop on the street and ask where to find the best food, the best coffee and the best shoe shine and you're never steered wrong....good work!!! And guys, if you find yourself with some free time, park it on a bench next to a guy like this for a while, something tells me he might know a little somethin' about the ladies as well! And he's always called sir!

 

Blogger Cheryl Houston said ... (5:50 PM) : 

I think I am in love!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

I wanna look like that!

 

Blogger Gabrielle Pascua said ... (6:59 PM) : 

what a cute old man. i agree, this style is timeless and he looks like a real gentlemen.

great picture! as young as i am, this really inspires me.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (7:04 PM) : 

So elegant! Love this shot!

 

Blogger ricola said ... (9:36 PM) : 

stripes, checks, & plaid. All getting along as they were meant to. Bravo, Sir.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

someone once taught me that one should be more concerned with putting himself together and look better with age (not let everything go downhill just cause youre not 20 anymore). obviously this man got the memo.

 

Blogger Jean said ... (11:18 PM) : 

My all time favorite, for the clothes, but also I have a soft spot for old guys (and gals, too). The three plaids together are witty without being cutesy. Same with the grey vest.

Punki said: "I love it when men wear a real chapeaux (not baseball caps)."
Me, too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 PM) : 

He is so charming, and his clothes are so timeless!

 

Blogger Sean said ... (11:45 PM) : 

I want to grow up and be him.

 

Blogger B. FLY AND THE CITY said ... (12:23 AM) : 

B.FLY SAYS: WHAT I LOVE ABOUT YOU SCOTT, IS THE FACT THAT YOUR SENSITIVITY, AND "SOFT SIDE" COMES OUT IN THE CAPTIONS OF YOUR PHOTOS. "THE STORY THAT GOES WITH THIS IMAGE IS VERY CUTE"...I THINK IT'S "VERY CUTE" THAT A MAN WOULD SAY "VERY CUTE". <3

 

Blogger Izzy said ... (12:58 AM) : 

The little details betray his true sense of style, setting him apart from all the other elderly men in suits: his coordinating green tie and pocket square, the mix of houndstooth on the jacket and brown on the pants, the unexpected gray sweater inside, and of course, his undeniably sweet smile!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 AM) : 

Unlike many people you have featured, I bet this gentleman did not spend too much time asking himself what he shall wear in the morning. This is genuine elegance: a suit for your soul. Refreshing.

 

Blogger Brightlightwarriornika said ... (3:20 AM) : 

Now He is one cool grand daddy!

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Classic and elegant at any time, any age... Eternally elegant

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (10:16 AM) : 

so burberry, so english in Milano!

 

Blogger Necropraxis said ... (12:05 PM) : 

I love the classic style (though I think if I read another "grandfather" comment I will scream). The pattern balancing and crisp tie plus sweater are wonderful. Practically speaking, the sweater also keeps the tie in place, making the look durable. I think, however, for others trying to learn from this look, that the coat is too long for the man's height. It makes him look shorter than he otherwise would. I would also have chosen a two-button.

He does seem to have a wonderful personality!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Si élégant... Perfection absolue!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

I found this blog's adress in a french magazine(i live in France) and your photos are wonderfull... Natural, wonderfull. This man looks very good, smart... As all of the other pictures. I like what you do!
(http://uneminute.jepose.org)(part of my pictures)
Ciao!

 

Blogger Dennice {Fringe} said ... (1:22 PM) : 

here is an example of two beautiful cliches..."a picture speaks a thousand words" and "young at heart".

this is a man that loves life and fashion. i wish i knew him personally. i look forward to reading the story behind your amazing photo, and i would love to know his name...

congrats on an amazing image, it shows your tender side as well as your incredible sense of what style is. well done!

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (2:26 PM) : 

Dapper. Reminds me of my Pops.

 

Blogger Mohammad said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Combination of this cloth is good, mature and stylish a little bit remind me of 60's with good cover of 80's shoes ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

It's photos like this that lead me to believe that there's still hope, in spite of all the street trash we see.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:07 AM) : 

i love that fashion has no age and he is an excellent example of it. he looks great from head to toe.

and if he had a smoking pipe, he could def. pass as sherlock holmes

 

Blogger Ari said ... (1:32 PM) : 

I love this photo. What a classy fellow.

 

Blogger Heba Elkayal said ... (6:32 PM) : 

I wonder, is the chain the man holding attached to a fobwatch? It's a bit old school glamor eccentric yet the question is, would it be too eccentric if someone in his twenties had one? I plan on buying one for my 27 year old fiance as wedding gift and he wears suits often since he works in finance. Would it be too eccentric or unique? Very curious to hear what you would have to say Sart.
Heba from Cairo

 

Blogger OscarOrtiz.Com said ... (9:29 AM) : 

I can't wait!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Scott, where is your story about the well dressed gentleman?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Not a hair out of place! Why don't more men understand today like the older generation did. Men were always presentable when they stepped out. Now all you see is garbage sprinkled every now and then with little rays of hope.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

makes me smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 AM) : 

So Milano!
Only been there a few times but that is the thing that impressed me the most: the class and elegance of the the elderly!
Nice shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

i'm still waiting for the story!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Sophisticated and inspiring, the folks at Eleven Magazine love your non stop supply of unique fashion sense and creative freedom. Keep up the good work Sartorialists!

 

Blogger Jennifer Rados said ... (4:32 PM) : 

dapper gentleman!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:47 PM) : 

He just blew away every guy on the blog!

 

Blogger Dandelion said ... (1:25 AM) : 

what's the story, morning glory?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

thats royalty to me..I love seeing older people dressed..and he is definitely to the 'T'..

so hot

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:47 PM) : 

dapper is right. great look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

I am still waiting for the story of the old man?

 

Blogger FutureClawFan! said ... (6:15 PM) : 

This is a very well dressed man and the promenance behind the photo must be spectacular. Well done. We love this check us out http://www.futureclaw.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 PM) : 

would still love to know the story that belongs with this photo...

 

Blogger yankeegrl506 said ... (4:13 PM) : 

awwwwwww
I love this guy!
He makes me smile tooooo =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

very nice.... I wait for the story !!!

 

Blogger Andy Rainford said ... (12:10 PM) : 

What a star!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

ahhhh so dov'è questo!

 

Blogger where the wild things are said ... (8:57 AM) : 

I must admit I'm not so involved in style and fashion but I love portraits of old milanesi, they show a way of life,a slice of history and people of the city hard to find in the reality but still present in the pics.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting