This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....So Chic, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, January 03, 2008

On the Street.....So Chic, Paris

Comments on "On the Street.....So Chic, Paris"

 

Blogger Chi-Chi and the Greek Vintage said ... (9:43 AM) : 

I wish American women of that "certain age" would present themselves like this more often. There's not a hint of plastic surgery nor a desperate grasp at trying to look like her daughter.
Just confidence, great accessories..[Hermes watch??] and that certain "something" that most European women have.
I want to look like this when I grow up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

True style. Real women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

I thought before enlarging that madame was wearing two watches - just one, it turns out, but all the brown leather looks great. (Brown and black being a favorite combination of mine.) She could swap them for diamonds and go straight out on the town.

The pleated dress: ladylike and smart. The leather belt: makes it younger and hip.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:11 AM) : 

That's a very interesting pleated dress. All too easy to be "versaillaise" frumpy in pleats but this is really working.

Does the watch have some kind of super long double wrap around strap?

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (10:18 AM) : 

It is wonderful to see someone so elegant, happy, natural and genuine. I adore her dress, accessories and hair; I don't even mind the cigarette!

PS. The tree behind her head tells me this isn't a recent picture. So, I won't comment in whether she might be cold or not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

I love this woman. Great hair and great accessories. She personifies effortless grace, with a great expression to match. The dress with pleats has that eye-catching quality, without being over the top, that completes the whole picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

That's the Hermes watch with the double strap that Martin Margiela did when he designed their jewelry collection several years back. I think it only lasted a year. It is the very same watch that has become my everyday watch for the past 4 years. Love the bondagy feel!

 

Blogger Luciernaka said ... (11:14 AM) : 

i love the watch and the colour of her hair and her ring and her beauty mark. I am also stunned by the sense of confidence that she exudes.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Those pleats just really take the look to a whole new different level.

 

Blogger Luiza Sauma said ... (11:55 AM) : 

This is exactly how I want to look when I'm older. She's marvellous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

Very age appropriate! I can only hope that I age this well. Her dress really emphasizes her well toned physique, and I love the brown watch w/the black dress. A very smart look! You can tell that she enjoys life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

She's looks comfortable. And made an effort to get dressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

This woman is really beautiful and so elegant. The watch is Men's Cape Code Hermes, I think.
As a parisian myself, I'm proud of my compatriots..
Thank you for this photography. It's not winter, because today, it's very cold in Paris..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Great to see a mature lady so at ease for a long time.A fine idea to use lots of bracelets,strings and an unusual watch to decorize the bare arms.She also has an excellent taste for clothing-all black but different textures.It nearly looks natural that she holds the cigarette loosely in a hand that has a big ring.

 

Blogger TakeitEZE said ... (1:59 PM) : 

the look is incredibly chic and seemingly effortless... I also find that it is people like her that prove that beauty truly does come from within.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

The epitome of style and grace. Flawless.

 

Blogger tintin said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Would I love to sit across from her at Vin sur Vin. And wake up the next morning to that smile. She is beautiful and she knows it.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (2:25 PM) : 

Ah! A fluted column--dress and top--with scuptural accountrements: classic and very up-to-date.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Along with the Hermes watch, her smile is my favourite accessory!

 

Blogger Borsó said ... (3:03 PM) : 

groovy delightful - pleats, creases from a smile, waves in the hair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

*sigh* I'm about her "certain age" and I envy her gene pool - that's her real beauty secret!

Love the dress.

 

Blogger mary said ... (3:22 PM) : 

beautiful blog.i love it.
love mary

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (4:16 PM) : 

She is so wonderful and natural. Love the pleats and the watch!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Very elegant. I love the cut of the fabric, which really fits her wells in every sense of the word fit.

I am choking on the cigarette though. At least she cannot smoke in public anymore in Paris as of yesterday!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

Such a lovely smile, she clearly has a wonderful attitude which is always chic.
And the cape cod double tour! Has been on my wish list for about three years now. Though for some reason I don't think it would be fitting for a 19 year old like me to purchase one... just yet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

incredible insouciance,formidable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

so much for editing ciggies out of the photos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

I love this look. She reminds me a little of Helene Cixou (maybe the hair)

 

Blogger pauline said ... (12:39 AM) : 

gosh I love the Hermes Cape Cod!!
Very classy and chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 AM) : 

chi-chi... we'd ALL like to look like that when we reach that "certain age." Unfortunately most of us aren't blessed with her excellent genes. In beauty-obsessed America, confidence and great accessories will only get you so far. Why criticize older women for getting treatments and surgery? If it makes them look and feel better, it's their choice. Sometimes aging "naturally" isn't all it's cracked up to be.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 AM) : 

ok, so this one is ALL about personality

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 AM) : 

She has achieved to look her age and aware of contemporary fashion and fads and individual and has a hair style which suits her perfectly and needs little maintenance. I am happy for her success in happy life attitude from the bottom of my heart! Cheers, dear madame!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 AM) : 

Right now she looks fantastic and has aged really well. However if were her, I'd toss the cigarette as it's only a matter of time before the effects catch up with her. Also, please, as a matter of principle, don't do justice to such a horrid habit!!!!

 

Blogger Charlene said ... (6:27 AM) : 

with confidence comes ease and with ease comes grace. she's got it all! i m not even concerned with the clothes in this pic..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 AM) : 

The pleated dress just makes it. Hands down.

 

Blogger Chloe said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Her accessories are flawless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

I can see why you'd want to use this shot; she has a very candid, genuine look of amusement on her face. Nice catch! :) However, I must agree with the chorus of posters above me, voicing their disapproval of the cigarette; I feel including it in the photo (excellent though it may be) is in poor form.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 PM) : 

Everything is perfect until the cigarette - ugh!! Please do not glamourize such a unhealthy and deadly habit!

 

Blogger Mervis said ... (3:44 PM) : 

i love her smile... and all her other accessories.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

That's gonna be me when I grow up. But I need to know more...the shoes, the hemline..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:02 PM) : 

She reminds me of Diana Vreeland. And the watch it's a man's Hermes Cape Cod, no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 PM) : 

I don't like it when someone closeby is smoking, and i worry when someone I care about smokes, but i still think people should feel free to smoke as long as they're not hurting others (ie. as long as they're outside). After all, it's their body!

I love these posts of older, elegant women. And this one is not only beautifully dressed, she also looks full of confidence and joie de vivre. In a word, inspiring.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:54 PM) : 

I adore those pleats...I do wonder how long that dress is and what kind of shoes she paired with the ensemble. I'm going to guess they're as fun as she looks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 AM) : 

The photo captures a great sense of style and personality. To edit out the cigarette would be dishonest. Though even I think smoking is a bad habbit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:26 AM) : 

I'm truly grateful that you posted this picture. I've been feeling very insecure about my greying hair lately, but on principle I don't want to colour it. This reminds me to flash my great smile and remain confident in my own classic style and unique beauty. Thanks for this.

 

Blogger sariah said ... (2:08 AM) : 

these comments about the cigs really seem to miss the point. this is a real woman, not an actress or a model that is being held up as a standard. in photographing real people scott will inevitably photograph people who have habits you dislike. personally, i'll take a smoker with great style and a big smile over a sanctimony and finger-pointing any day. to each his/her own.

 

Blogger adriaan said ... (4:48 AM) : 

i wish smoking was healthy,,, it looks sooo stylish on this woman

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (4:56 AM) : 

I have enlarged the picture and... Perhaps she is wearing two watches! One for the time in Paris and one for the time in some place very far away from Paris where someone she really cares for took a long trip. The good news was that this someone was arriving back to Paris that same afternoon the picture was taken. And that's why she wears two watches and such a big, big smile.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:46 AM) : 

la montre Cape Code double tour d'Hermès.
The long bracelet was created by Martin Margiela
It is in barenya veal, I think
I'm not working at Hermès, My boyfriend offered me the same.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 AM) : 

Yes, of course, it' the men's watch
Hermes Cape Cod. Wonderful watch, especially on this woman ! In Paris, the law against cigaret is on since yesterday..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

I have never seen an american plastic woman looking this stunning. No surgery in the world could do this - class and style.

 

Blogger JW said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Hey, I like that design, Hermes always produced great products.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

tres chic. the dress is stunning. great figure, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

Perfeito.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 AM) : 

The style of this women is great. She is elegant and very nice dressed. I am not a smoker an I know it is very bad, but this women is very beautiful with her cigarette, it is a really cool look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

As a woman of a certain age, I know how hard I have to work to age naturally without the aid of plastic surgery. It's great to go gray and look so well, but it doesn't work for everyone. The idea is to thoughtfully find your own personal style as you age. It takes imagination, but this woman sets an example for us all, except for the cigarette.
Gentlewoman

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

She combines grace and eternal style so perfectly ....... if only all women were as utterly elegant as the french, no matter their age.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

The woman has a great style and her outfit is wonderful. I am not a smoker, but I like her long cigarette. It is very stylish and the cigarette gives her a great personality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Love love love. Great outfit, grey hair and a big smile - perfect combo. BTW - she is wearing an Hermès 'Skipper' bracelet on the same wrist as the watch. And not expensive either...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

Think that`s Elsa Peretti, no? Of Tiffany&co

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:20 PM) : 

elegant

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:35 AM) : 

yes!

another one for the "when i'm older" INSPIRATION folder. that it rhymes is merely a bonus.

 

Blogger Marina said ... (7:26 AM) : 

Her watch is just awesome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

I like her style, except for her haircut! I don't know why women of a certain age in american insist on those aweful short cuts!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 PM) : 

I AM her age-glad to see such postitive response to this grande dame of style.Too bad people think they can legislate smokers-personal choice-it does NOT detract from such ease and elegance.Brava-youth, take note;it is always class and elegance that remains for all to admire....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 AM) : 

I love her accessories, too, but the first thing I noticed was how she mixed different textures of black. Her dress, her belt, her sweater and her bag...so cool and easier said than done. She has a smile that shows experience, confidence and grace, a smile a young woman like myself simply cannot replicate. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 AM) : 

fabulous watch... french women age so well and this woman is no exception

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 AM) : 

doesnt works for me. at least not on this blog. i would definitely consider her stylish, if we met, but she just doesnt stand out from the rest of the people on this blog

 

Blogger Kits said ... (11:45 PM) : 

I loved her image. I want to be like this at her age :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I’m not thrilled by this look. Maybe if she took the sweater off and picked a different (not shiny) bag, I would’ve liked it more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 AM) : 

I am appalled by the cigarette comments. Can't you all tell? Smoking is part of her elegance and style. This shot is perfect! Confidence,ease, style, pose, and a great big smile! Increable! It reminds me of better times when smoking wasn't a crime. Let her be people.

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 AM) : 

Tres, tres, chic indeed!

Btw... she looks really healthy to me people.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 AM) : 

her name is brigette. i've met her. she's really interesting in person!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 PM) : 

wow....if only I can look that good even in my 30's!!!!

 

Blogger rajat said ... (7:08 AM) : 

so real..

 

Blogger seawallrunner said ... (2:51 PM) : 

gorgeous candid photo of a beautiful self-confident woman.

In North America, age is a sin. In Europe, it is a virtue.

 

Blogger hippydaisy said ... (1:17 AM) : 

i love her watch.

 

Blogger Asher Ramras said ... (7:00 PM) : 

Big black ring; what a great accessory.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting